Options

Anyone got Yosemite yet?

Comments

• Options
    IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All working ok but tried making a test phone call and while I could hear everything fine on the Mac, the person answering the other phone couldn't hear me at all. Will have to have a proper test on it tomorrow.
  • Options
    Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's great and the clearer text etc makes it easier for old-timers like me to read stuff.

It downloaded / installed on my iMac really quickly but I bet it will take a lot longer on my Macbook Air,

I might even start using Safari now!

yea its amazing, and they have improved searching for words on webpage. Before i had to type the word for it to search now i can just type letters that are in the middle of the word and it will search e.g ear for search
    Izak wrote: »
    All working ok but tried making a test phone call and while I could hear everything fine on the Mac, the person answering the other phone couldn't hear me at all. Will have to have a proper test on it tomorrow.

I am a little bit jealous.

Tested itunes, looks good. There is a new update 12.01. i liked the improvement. tried sending a large file (3gb+) and it hanged my system, had to close safari and then mail. I think the mail caused it. I have iStats so i could see my upload speed increased so i am guessing it was sending the file. Also my total upload increased as well 3.39 atm
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All running smoothly on this end - upgraded a MBP and an iMac.

Only issue was with my old (2 versions behind) version of Parallels trying to extort money out of me.....
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the new look. All running okay so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Mines been stuck on the installation screen "About 7 minutes remaining" for the past hour and a half. :(
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madmaniac wrote: »
    Mines been stuck on the installation screen "About 7 minutes remaining" for the past hour and a half. :(

Yet more proof that Apple copies others. That's a MICROSOFT feature!
  • Options
    Silver TractorSilver Tractor Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »

The overall look of Yosemite is a bit like Windows 8 but I have found the overall Mac experience to be streets ahead of the Win 8 laptop that I gave away in sheer frustration.

I have used Windows PCs and laptops for years and as an old timer the change to Mac has confounded me at times. Now that I am getting used to it I doubt I will go back to Microsoft again.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite can be downloaded direct:-
    https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=915041082&mt=12

Though their servers have been overloaded all day. I'd wait a day or two if you want to download it.

In fact I'd wait a month or two and make absolutely sure that you can get a compatible:
    Printer driver
    Scanner driver

Check for updates for any third-party software you run such as
    Carbon Copy Cloner
    Chronosync
    SuperDuper
    Final Cut Pro
    Bartender
    Little Snitch
    Photo Booth
    Aperture
    Parallels
    AppleTV (Air Play issues)
    Photoshop (?)
    Printopia
    NAS storage

I understand that iWorks 09 suite (Pages, Numbers & Keynote) is not compatible with Yosemite.

Read this article:
    http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/16/getting-ready-for-yosemite-how-to-backup-your-mac-and-set-up-os-x-10-10/

and http://www.macstrategy.com/article.php?123

and http://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a
    (This site detects what Mac and OS you are running. If you access it with a non-Intel Mac it won't list anything.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The overall look of Yosemite is a bit like Windows 8 but I have found the overall Mac experience to be streets ahead of the Win 8 laptop that I gave away in sheer frustration.

I have used Windows PCs and laptops for years and as an old timer the change to Mac has confounded me at times. Now that I am getting used to it I doubt I will go back to Microsoft again.

My joke was of course only referring to the inaccurate timer, but I will agree that even with the dumbed down look of OSX 10.10, it's still in most ways nicer and more intuitive than Windows 8.

However, I'm running the preview of Windows 10 and it's a big improvement. Mostly due to the changes to the ridiculous 'dual mode' system Windows 8 introduced that was anything but intuitive.

I think I'm still going to remain a Mac user for a while longer, given that I'm extremely tempted by the 5K iMac, and once the Retina MBA comes then I'll probably upgrade that too.

Damn you Apple. I can resist your iOS devices, but I'm a sucker for the far more expensive devices!!
  • Options
    Silver TractorSilver Tractor Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My joke was of course only referring to the inaccurate timer, but I will agree that even with the dumbed down look of OSX 10.10, it's still in most ways nicer and more intuitive than Windows 8.

However, I'm running the preview of Windows 10 and it's a big improvement. Mostly due to the changes to the ridiculous 'dual mode' system Windows 8 introduced that was anything but intuitive.

I think I'm still going to remain a Mac user for a while longer, given that I'm extremely tempted by the 5K iMac, and once the Retina MBA comes then I'll probably upgrade that too.

Damn you Apple. I can resist your iOS devices, but I'm a sucker for the far more expensive devices!!

I gave my new Dell Win 8 laptop to my daughter and she (and my granddaughters) get on ok with it - but I certainly couldn't.

I bought both granddaughters an iPad mini last year and they love them. They are dropping hints about an iMac now - but I'm afraid my pension won't quite stretch to that at the moment!

Apple stuff just seems to work with very few complications and the staff in the local (franchised) Apple Store are always very willing to help show me how to do some of the stuff that confuses me.
  • Options
    Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When somebody calls me, my iPhone will ring and so will my Mac Right? Will my Mac use the same ringtone that my iPhone uses?
    The reason I ask is because when you open FaceTime / Preferences, (on the Mac), the ringtone is set to Opening Default. Scrolling through the tones does not seem to show my own custom ringtones that are in iTunes and on my phone.
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't get handoff or calls or sms on my iMac. Still struggling to work that one out. Anyone else having any luck??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. I've just been in to the settings page on my iMac, to general, and where the handoff option should be there's nothing. It's missing :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And there we have the reason. Mine's a mid 2011 iMac. I need the 2012 model onwards :(
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    lalaland wrote: »
    And there we have the reason. Mine's a mid 2011 iMac. I need the 2012 model onwards :(
    Do you know the reason for that?
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The proximity detection is implemented through Bluetooth 4.0, which the 2011 iMacs don't have.

Also, the SMS forwarding requires iOS 8.1, so won't work until that's out on Monday. I imagine we'll see an update to OS X Messages pushed on Monday to support this too.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find the text size and colour in the tabs at the top of the page in Safari very small and faint. Apparently there's no way of making it larger or darker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having changed to dark mode, it's clear that many icons need to be redesigned, or the apps need to automatically switch. Seems a bit of a shame, as I do prefer the dark look but not with half the icons 'disappearing'.
  • Options
    Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »

Damn it! Mines a Mid 2011 iMac as well and I just noticed the Handoff checkbox isn't there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to upgrade anyway, but it won't be for a while and I don't want to do it just for this feature.

Gutted about that though.
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member

It's not only a lack of Bluetooth 4.0, Apple are using a blacklist and whitelist of models to prevent it working.

Details listed here, it has been a well debated and researched topic over on MacRumors for a few months.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20124161#post20124161

There are various solutions depending on your model. I have two out of three Mac (MacPro and MBP) which can't work Handoff and only the wife's Mac-mini which can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst interesting reading and I had no doubts apple had done this to up sell newer machines I don't feel the feature is worth that much messing about.
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of Window's more well known features. :D

Lots of people have upgraded their Hackintoshes without (m)any problems but i usually hold off until the .2 or .3 release to shake the bugs out, so it'll probably be the new year before i update.

I'll only be upgrading to keep on the yearly cycle since there's nothing particularly compelling about Yosemite to me anyway.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Love the new look and being able to use my Mac to make and receive calls and texts.
  • Options
    Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded istat 5.0 trial, i deleted it from the launchpad, but how do i uninstall it fully? cause it is still appearing on the top bar