If Accrington play Man U

howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Will this be the smallest ground, capacity-wise, that Man U's first XI will have ever played at, at least since the War? Not counting friendlies, testimonials etc??

*Hopes if Accy go through they won't switch to a bigger venue**

Comments

• Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Where is the Accrington/yevoil replay and who is likely to win .
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you not want it switched?

Win or lose the fixture could make them enough money to secure the clubs long term future (not saying they have money troubles). A fixture like this would be massive for the club and would be a massive payday to them, If they can sell tickets to a bigger venue then they should do so as even a extra few grand I am sure would be very welcome to them
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you allowed to switch venues for cash money? In the other thread someone said it can only be done for health and safety purpose or other necessities, but you'd think a surge in demand would be good enough reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if both sides agreed and the FA agreed as well it would be possible.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Why would you not want it switched?

It takes away the very essense of the FA Cup. It has been devalued in recent years due to, well, firstly man U not competing because they were involved elsewhere, and also because *small* clubs were drawing big teams, and switching to the bigger teams grounds simply to make cash, and I include my own club in that.

Also, the crown ground (if Accy go through) is one of those tight little grounds with a bit of a slope where upsets can and do happen. However, with it's small capacity, even charging £30/ticket won't go far as the club needs every penny. Hopefully if the tie does happen, the TV money may make Accy stay put.

I think they will probably switch to Blackburn or Burnley - which is arguably a better option for the sake of the Cup than switch to Old Trafford.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    It takes away the very essense of the FA Cup. It has been devalued in recent years due to, well, firstly man U not competing because they were involved elsewhere, and also because *small* clubs were drawing big teams, and switching to the bigger teams grounds simply to make cash, and I include my own club in that.

Also, the crown ground (if Accy go through) is one of those tight little grounds with a bit of a slope where upsets can and do happen. However, with it's small capacity, even charging £30/ticket won't go far as the club needs every penny. Hopefully if the tie does happen, the TV money may make Accy stay put.

I think they will probably switch to Blackburn or Burnley - which is arguably a better option for the sake of the Cup than switch to Old Trafford.

I would normally agree but I think with their ground being so small (and if shown on TV I think with the space for TV needs it would be even smaller) and it being such a cash cow for the club of their size that the plus points for them would be worth worth losing some of the essence of the cup. Even the sales from the match day programes would make a massive difference to the club never mind the gate cash
  • daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    "Manchester United "........"Who are they? "..........EXACTLY
  • South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,359
    Forum Member
    daicoll wrote: »
    "Manchester United "........"Who are they? "..........EXACTLY

Ask an MK Dons supporter. :D
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Hopefully if the tie does happen, the TV money may make Accy stay put. .

I think the game would still be picked for TV even if it was played at Old Trafford.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure the FA allow you to switch ties round these days.

But Accrington could probably shift to a ground other than Old Trafford.

Etihad ? :)
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I'm not sure the FA allow you to switch ties round these days.

But Accrington could probably shift to a ground other than Old Trafford.

Etihad ? :)

Gigg Lane's handy for them both :D
  • Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an Accrington local, they could easily build a temporary stand on the Whinney Hill side adding thousands to the 5000 capacity. Turf Moor/Ewood Park would be an alternative - Yeovil will win the replay anyway.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Accrington go through, then if the ground was switched it would be moved to Ewood Park as Blackburn are away but Burnley are at home so it couldn't be at Turf Moor
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Accrington Stanley are in the football league. AFC Wimbledon if anything have a worst stadium (Kingsmeadow) but they are still going to be hosting Liverpool at their stadium. But AFC Wimbledon are also in the football league.

There is no need for Accrington Stanley to move the game, and I believe even if they did they wouldn't be able to keep any extra money anyway.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't the FA outlaw against swapping the venue of a tie after Farnborough Arsenal?

I think that that was the second time Farnborough had done that.

May have bagged them an extra £550,000 but I never understood why the TV company were quite happy to go along with the tie even after the change.
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the FA outlaw against swapping the venue of a tie after Farnborough Arsenal?

I think that that was the second time Farnborough had done that.

May have bagged them an extra £550,000 but I never understood why the TV company were quite happy to go along with the tie even after the change.

Yeah, Farnborough manager/owner Graham Westley got the tie moved to Highbury, and then immediately sold the club and moved onto Stevenage. Allegedly, the money made from the match never went into Farnborough's coffers.

Hence, the FA now strictly ban switching venues.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    Yeah, Farnborough manager/owner Graham Westley got the tie moved to Highbury, and then immediately sold the club and moved onto Stevenage. Allegedly, the money made from the match never went into Farnborough's coffers.

Hence, the FA now strictly ban switching venues.

They don't strictly ban them at all. If the Police decide it's not safe then it will be switched. However, it won't go to Old Trafford but the nearest suitable ground.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    They don't strictly ban them at all. If the Police decide it's not safe then it will be switched. However, it won't go to Old Trafford but the nearest suitable ground.

So it isn't a "switch", then :cool:

Anyway, Accrington lost last night.