Options

ITV 1- "Holding out for the hero"

themealgangthemealgang Posts: 375
Forum Member
Hi Guys,

Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but Gethin Jones has got a new prime time TV show launching next month on ITV1. It seems like a very nice show, as contestants come on and aim to win a lot of money for their hero's.

Seems simple, but I have got a feeling it's going to work quite well. Tissues at the ready!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely to hear that Geth has a new show. We don't see anywhere near enough of him on television. I had the chance to go to the recording but found it difficult to arrange. I wish I had gone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Lovely to hear that Geth has a new show. We don't see anywhere near enough of him on television. I had the chance to go to the recording but found it difficult to arrange. I wish I had gone!

I think Geth is a great host- he seems so genuine and not false like some presenters out there! This show just seems perfect with a heart warming twist. It doesn't seem to be publicised a lot as of yet though...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I am one of the contestants and all I can say, it that it was a fantastic experience. Every one involved where brilliant. And Gethin the perfect choice of host. He is a genuinely lovely, lovely man. If is professional, polite and Made Up all feel at ease. He even suprised us by waiting for us after filming So we could have pictures taken with him when he could have just gone home:) see on You tube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jinnyp wrote: »
    I am one of the contestants and all I can say, it that it was a fantastic experience. Every one involved where brilliant. And Gethin the perfect choice of host. He is a genuinely lovely, lovely man. If is professional, polite and Made Up all feel at ease. He even suprised us by waiting for us after filming So we could have pictures taken with him when he could have just gone home:) see on You tube.

That's fantastic to hear. I have been a fan from his days on Blue Peter, and being a guy looks don't matter o me in the slightest. He does seem so genuine and such a top bloke. Because he is so kind, and the show seems one of the uplifting nature, his personality will be reflected back on the people watching at home. Can clearly see this being a big hit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    jinnyp wrote: »

I am also a contestant on the show and I can reitterate jinnyp's comments, the whole day was great fun and we also met so many deserving charities. Roll on Sept 11 for show one. :)
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah woah woah, Sept 11? Pretty bad day to launch a new gameshow.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah woah woah, Sept 11? Pretty bad day to launch a new gameshow.

why so?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am also a contestant on the show and I can reitterate jinnyp's comments, the whole day was great fun and we also met so many deserving charities. Roll on Sept 11 for show one. :)

I'm looking forward to it! Would love to meet Geth; seems like such a nice bloke.

What show are you on? I will be looking out for a fellow DS member!
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    why so?

Most people's mindsets will be elsewhere. I certainly won't want to watch a gameshow on a day of such loss and mourning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this starts tonight, anyone watching? i think i'm gonna watch whilst waiting for XF :o
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    this starts tonight, anyone watching? i think i'm gonna watch whilst waiting for XF :o

I'm watching Bex ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    I'm watching Bex ;)

what do you think of it? it's passing the time for me, wouldn't be watching if XF wasn't on after though :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    what do you think of it? it's passing the time for me, wouldn't be watching if XF wasn't on after though :o

Doesn't seem too bad. The questions aren't that difficult, though, but as it's for a good cause,,,,
  • Options
    xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking it's set to be another ITV flop. Very easy questions, pace is way too slow and the format is overly-sentimal.
  • Options
    CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying it so far, beats Red or Black any time. Pity the same amount of money isn't involved.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,955
    Forum Member
    ^you can get close to it though!!!!

is this filmed in Granada ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^you can get close to it though!!!!

is this filmed in Granada ?

Not sure, but it's a small studio...
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,955
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Not sure, but it's a small studio...

ive been in one of the studios at Granada and it look similar
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the maximum win £ 149K? That would be £20K x 3, 19K x 2, then 18K + 17K + 16K.....
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carman wrote: »
    Enjoying it so far, beats Red or Black any time. Pity the same amount of money isn't involved.
    I really don't go for these types of programmes and if it wasn't for the fact that I was somewhere where I couldn't get out of or change the channel on the programme's onset, I wouldn't have watched it. But I have to agree that it wasn't bad at all, I do like that people's plight or charity gets the publicity that would benefit it as well as an initial £3000 by the start of the game. The only thing I find 'wrong' with it is the name, so naff and cheesy that it had put me off from viewing it.

I'm not familiar with the host, did he go out with Katherine Jenkins? But I have no issue with him anyway. Quite a good programme, it's nice to see the money going to a good cause too. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it was quite a "warm" show if that makes any sense. Gethin was great; he was professional, took time over his lines and I can tell he makes the contestants feel at ease before they came on stage. Proves what a decent guy he really is. It is going to be another ITV flop; sadly the set is too small for a prime time show and general viewers don't see past the "traditional" gamshow format that we have all seen before.

Seeing people win for their hero made lovely viewing, and I will be tuning in next week. Apart from that, I can see it flopping as the contestants are told to deliberate over the answers that are obvious and the format is nothing new.

Did anyone also notice that someone was constantly whistling really loudly at every opportunity? That ear piercing sound got really annoying after a while over the polite applause of the audience!
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it was quite a "warm" show if that makes any sense. Gethin was great; he was professional, took time over his lines and I can tell he makes the contestants feel at ease before they came on stage. Proves what a decent guy he really is. It is going to be another ITV flop; sadly the set is too small for a prime time show and general viewers don't see past the "traditional" gamshow format that we have all seen before.

Seeing people win for their hero made lovely viewing, and I will be tuning in next week. Apart from that, I can see it flopping as the contestants are told to deliberate over the answers that are obvious and the format is nothing new.

Did anyone also notice that someone was constantly whistling really loudly at every opportunity? That ear piercing sound got really annoying after a while over the polite applause of the audience!

The umming and arring over multiple choice questions was very similar to In It to Win It.

Unsurpringly both are made by 12 Yard. The former is a massive hit though even though the long winded debate does my head in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The umming and arring over multiple choice questions was very similar to In It to Win It.

Unsurpringly both are made by 12 Yard. The former is a massive hit though even though the long winded debate does my head in.

hmm i did notice that a bit and also i thought the gift card bit was similar to Secret Fortune but overall i enjoyed it and it was nice seeing deserving people getting money for a change and at least the losers still got some money too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I too noticed the deliberating over the answers and found it annoying when it was compleltly obvious. An example of this was when Gethin asked the woman "Who had a UK hit single with "Price Tag?"
    That's one of the most played Jessie J songs of all time and it was obvious the contestant knew the answer anyway. Apart from that it was a good show with a heart warning message.
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    I too noticed the deliberating over the answers and found it annoying when it was compleltly obvious. An example of this was when Gethin asked the woman "Who had a UK hit single with "Price Tag?"
    That's one of the most played Jessie J songs of all time and it was obvious the contestant knew the answer anyway. Apart from that it was a good show with a heart warning message.

It might not be that obvious. I've got no idea what that song sounds like myself, so I would have had to have completely guessed. I would have guessed Jessie J, but only because I know she's had recent success. Maybe the contestant was thinking the same.