What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm reading Perfect People by Peter James which is intriguing me somewhat.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lynda La Plante 'Backlash' [Above suspicion series]
    I love her books, and this is great so far:D
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I really want to read that!

Are you enjoying it?

I'm halfway through The Bottle Factory Outing by Beryl Bainbridge. Very dark but very funny.

i've just read the synopsis for this book on amazon and it looks excellent!! i've put it on my reservations list at the library:D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    The Bird Nobody See's by Sturt Ayris
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Oh I really want to read that!

Are you enjoying it?

I'm halfway through The Bottle Factory Outing by Beryl Bainbridge. Very dark but very funny.

I'm just getting near the halfway point. Would recommend it so far, very well-written. You feel sympathy for the main character, but you just know something bad is about to happen....
  • wonderwheels28wonderwheels28 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum On The Run Fiona Gibson
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Arslan by M. J. Engh. A gripping, albeit very disturbing, take on the nature of tyranny,
    as the titular villain invades the United States and makes a small Illnois town his
    power base. The book follows the response of Franklin
    Bond, the local headmaster and an archetypal
    "Middle American", to the challenge Arslan poses. It's
    very good, albeit quite shocking in places.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Euan1234 wrote: »
    Hangover Square - Partick Hamilton

That's a great read.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Next Always - Nora Roberts
    Always a guilty pleasure, having read soooh many of her books, but this was a cosy romance, not so different from her earlier stuff, which were fantastic. Familiar characters, in familiar situations in small town America. While this was OK, it was disappointing.
    I'll think I should stick with her crime novels.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    JK Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy", and hating it so far. Good story, appalling characterization. Just finished "Gone Girl", which I thought was brilliant.

"The Vacant Casualty" always sounded a better title from the parody.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Are We Alone?: Philosophical Implications Of The Discovery Of Extraterrestrial Life by Paul Davies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have decided Game of Thrones is not for me:o
    It's brilliantly descriptive, the characters are really well drawn and it zips along, even though it's a very long tale.
    It's just that there's an unrelenting air of depression about it and I feel it will only get darker as it progresses!
    Maybe I'll dip into some more of it at a later date.

Have now moved onto Paul Doherty's The Nightingale Gallery.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    JK Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy", and hating it so far. Good story, appalling characterization. Just finished "Gone Girl", which I thought was brilliant.

Not very likeable are they? :D It gets better. The last third of it is actually excellent. One of those books where I nearly gave up but was thrilled, by the end, that I hadn't. Not gonna cheer you up, but very moving in the end. I cried buckets. :o

I'm reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet about two 12 year olds - Chinese boy and Japanese girl - from Seattle during WW2. Brilliant, brilliant book. I find it all the more poignant as friends of mine are of Japanese descent and their families experienced the Japanese 'camps' in the US during the war years.

Highly recommend this book. Beautiful, clear prose and a fantastic story.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    The Small Hand by Susan Hill

Atmospheric and at times ambiguous ghost tale brought to life by vivid locations and a subtle, creeping sense of dread.

Not quite in the same league as her Woman in Black, but certainly worth it if you like the genre.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Just finished 15 Days Without A Head by Dave Cousins.

Don't know why it was described as a compelling thriller as it was nowhere close as one....it was OK. No more compelling than what are already heard or read in the news about family struggling and some on the verge of poverty or already living in poverty sometimes due to their dysfunctional and irresponsible parents which is the concept of the author's book.
  • GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started, this afternoon, 'The Umbrella' by Will Self. I am trying, as I did last year to read the 6 books shortlisted for the Booker Prize as I feel it opens up other genres and books that I probably wouldn't purchase otherwise.

I can see it is going to be a slog, but I will persevere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Mears kicks ol' bears ass every time.
    I disagree - Bear is awesome! People do seem to be on one side or the other with these two though.
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Not me I love both :D

Haha, seems I started a debate here :D

Each to his/her own! I actually like Ray too! Got a couple of his books and I watched a series of his on Canada not too long ago, which was a great insight. He’s an interesting and inspiring chap too, but Bear is awesome and is definitely a hero of mine. Take a few things out and change some minor things about his autobiography and it’s like you’re reading my memoirs, lol. I can connect with a lot of the stuff Bear has experienced (doing stupid stuff for a dare, being cr@p and in trouble at school, suffering various injuries, almost killing yourself (not on purpose) and so on…) I’m also very active like Bear which is why I like his stuff.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished 15 Days Without A Head by Dave Cousins.

Don't know why it was described as a compelling thriller as it was nowhere close as one....it was OK. No more compelling than what are already heard or read in the news about family struggling and some on the verge of poverty or already living in poverty sometimes due to their dysfunctional and irresponsible parents which is the concept of the author's book.

You know this is a young adult book, right?
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Molly moon stops the world , I never know anyone else who is interested in these books:(
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Stuart Macbride "Birthdays for the Dead", now I love Stuarts books but really not sure what i think about this one, it was stretching credibility just a little bit.....

Also just finished Simon Kernick's "Siege" - brilliant book, 9/10 for me.
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished Peter James's "Not Dead Yet". Yet another satisfying outing for DS Roy Grace, Brighton's busiest detective .. This time dealing with a victim chopped to bits and a Hollywood diva returning to her home town for filming .. and who is the blonde woman with a German speaking kid who seems to be keeping her beady eyes on Grace and Chloe ?

Have you read any of the previous books in this series ? If so then you should know who the blonde woman and her kid is.... :)
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - wow what a headf**k! I couldn't put it down at all - I felt as manipulated as Nick whilst reading that story and I'm now exhausted having finished it! Great read and I'll definitely be reading some of her other stuff in the near future!
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smokeheads by Doug Johnstone.

Not sure what to expect at the moment, about chapters in, it's either going to be a horror or a murder mystery, crossed with Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - wow what a headf**k! I couldn't put it down at all - I felt as manipulated as Nick whilst reading that story and I'm now exhausted having finished it! Great read and I'll definitely be reading some of her other stuff in the near future!

I started reading Gone Girl just last night - looks like I made a good choice in buying it! :D
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    David Mitchell's autobiography.

Not bad but not the best I've read.