Options

Season 17: general discussion

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Derek's partners always get an easy time from the judges. I think they are too scared to mention how her weight affects her dancing. Her jive and charleston were poor because of her weight, but they gave her marks because of her "performance" skills.

I'm tired of seeing her receive good marks for hip-hop nonsense and I'm sick of Derek's "innovative" choreography.

Have you been watching the same show I have?

I was struck by how long the audience applauded for Amber after her Samba, so I went back and counted the seconds of applause after each dance this week.

The applause for her in the DWTS ballroom was significantly more than for any of the other couples. Louder AND longer. I won't bother listing the numbers, though I recorded them. That was before any of the judges opened their mouths. That's all I'm gonna say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to ignore you, Lili! You are one of my favorite posters. :) I've made similar mistakes many times, no apology needed. :)

Had to LOL at Tom telling Lacey she was one of his favorite wise@sses! :D :eek:

Thanks Dancefan. That is kind of you to say.

I feel a little sheepish. There is enough controversy surrounding Len to misquote wrong info. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lili27 wrote: »
    Thanks Dancefan. That is kind of you to say.

I feel a little sheepish. There is enough controversy surrounding Len to misquote wrong info. :eek:

Please don't feel that way. It was cute, and if I hadn't gone back and rewatched the tape I would have missed Tom telling Lacey she was one of his favorite wise@sses! I totally missed that but it was hilarious--and true! :)

I have always supported and defended Len, even after his sometimes eyebrow-raising comments to Derek. I find I'm understanding him less this season but that doesn't mean I'm ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. He still deserves respect, imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like the joy of watching DWST has been sucked out by all the controversies, format changes, fan wars over dancers vs. nondancers, etc. Or maybe none of the celebs are exciting enough, I don't know. It feels flat as a season and I can absolutely witness the lack of interest on the US message boards and here. There are tumbleweeds and crickets chirping on this thread and it used to be pretty busy after show night. Maybe next season will be better. :).
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was struck by how long the audience applauded for Amber after her Samba, so I went back and counted the seconds of applause after each dance this week.

The applause for her in the DWTS ballroom was significantly more than for any of the other couples. Louder AND longer. I won't bother listing the numbers, though I recorded them. That was before any of the judges opened their mouths. That's all I'm gonna say.

I agree, I think people can root for Amber because she is a larger lady and she's showing that anyone can dance, irrespective of their weight. Of course she's not going to look as graceful as some of the other women in hold but she still performs the steps she's given and she definitely sells her dances 100%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can never figure out if shows like SCD and DWTS are good for the world of dance outside of reality dancing tv shows.

If it only favours the young, talented, fit, attractive, graceful and preferably female that is who will show up for dance class.
  • Options
    RedRoseRebelRedRoseRebel Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt the length of applause matters much in the scheme of things, they could have been quite as likely to be letting her get her breath back so letting them go on longer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like the joy of watching DWST has been sucked out by all the controversies, format changes, fan wars over dancers vs. nondancers, etc. Or maybe none of the celebs are exciting enough, I don't know. It feels flat as a season and I can absolutely witness the lack of interest on the US message boards and here. There are tumbleweeds and crickets chirping on this thread and it used to be pretty busy after show night. Maybe next season will be better. :).

Don't you think some of it might be not only watching fatigue but forum fatigue? After so many mean (and under-educated--talk about a fail for the US government school system) posters flooded the ABC board, fans abandoned it in droves. It didn't help that ABC changed the message board to try to get people to post instant messages that nobody could find to keep track of a conversation.

They've improved the ABC board this year but it might be too little, too late. Once people wrote it off, hard to get them back.

Some boards seem like a bunch of bitter Betties to me. Who else would want to go there? I like the people here.

But Tristan said losing one day a week meant they almost halved the crew.

And sadly, it shows. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you think some of it might be not only watching fatigue but forum fatigue? After so many mean (and under-educated--talk about a fail for the US government school system) posters flooded the ABC board, fans abandoned it in droves. It didn't help that ABC changed the message board to try to get people to post instant messages that nobody could find to keep track of a conversation.

They've improved the ABC board this year but it might be too little, too late. Once people wrote it off, hard to get them back.

Some boards seem like a bunch of bitter Betties to me. Who else would want to go there? I like the people here.

You make a good point Dancefan. Forum fatigue. One of the things I love about this board is the collective intelligence and opinions. One of the best entertainment message boards bar none. ABC is an embarrassment and twop is hostile. I can appreciate humour and snark but they go beyond that.

I miss the results show and the confessionals mostly and the backstage stuff. It was bloated whale with a lot of filler but it worked better. I only saw Tristan's one comment and could not find his interview but losing the results show has to be hard on the troupe.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can never figure out if shows like SCD and DWTS are good for the world of dance outside of reality dancing tv shows.

If it only favours the young, talented, fit, attractive, graceful and preferably female that is who will show up for dance class.

Its been good for me. I used to be so overweight years ago. Watching Strictly is has got me active and dancing become so much healthier. Its also got to be good for dancers all around because its more respected. Len said he used to be ashamed of admitting he was a dance judge and say he was builder.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Think BIB about sums it up succinctly, Lili. It used to be exciting watching the show, but not anymore. With this new format you don't really get much time to see the training footage and get to know the celebs. So I personally don't feel engaged with them, on the whole, apart from Bill. Think the difference with Bill, is he actually seems to be enjoying himself, his partnership with Emma and his experience of learning the dances and being part of the DWTS show. Valerie had a similar attitude, the other celebs I don't actually see them enjoying their experience as much, perhaps Corbin and Jack to a lesser degree.

I get the impression from some of the comments they have made it's about learning the dances, getting 10's and winning, from the training clips, not many seen to be having fun and lapping up their time on the show. It may seem a daft thing for me to say, considering it is a competition, but feel some of them are that focused on the end goal they are missing the journey. Or maybe it isn't that an enjoyable experience for them and it is reflected in what we see of them. Elizabeth and Leah seem more like they are in therapy and working through their issues, week by week and seemingly suffer through their time on the show!!!! I don't really feel I have warmed to many of their personalities, tbh. I don't think they chose a very good cast this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks for your info re the ABC board, I wondered why it was not a busy or as interesting as it used to be. I would have hoped it would have picked up somewhat. I have had a look spasmodically on there and quickly left:D

BIB That's a massive difference to lose half the crew. I supose it has become a bit of a juggernaut of a show, and using that analogy, it seems all the changes to the format have it veering off course. Some of us voice our frustrations, observations or annoyance at the way the show it turning out, but don't think it is going to be changed around any time soon.
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just can't get into this series. I don't like anyone enough to root for them or rush to watch their dances.
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just can't get into this series. I don't like anyone enough to root for them or rush to watch their dances.

I feel the same and haven't even watched this week's dances yet :(. I wonder if it's because Strictly's on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . So I personally don't feel engaged with them, on the whole, apart from Bill. Think the difference with Bill, is he actually seems to be enjoying himself, his partnership with Emma and his experience of learning the dances and being part of the DWTS show. Valerie had a similar attitude, the other celebs I don't actually see them enjoying their experience as much, perhaps Corbin and Jack to a lesser degree.

I get the impression from some of the comments they have made it's about learning the dances, getting 10's and winning, from the training clips, not many seen to be having fun and lapping up their time on the show. It may seem a daft thing for me to say, considering it is a competition, but feel some of them are that focused on the end goal they are missing the journey. I don't really feel I have warmed to many of their personalities, tbh. I don't think they chose a very good cast this year.

Yes, I think it is the cast. Sorry for long post.

I feel exactly the same way and that is why I cannot get behind the better dancers this year. So Bill and Emma it is for me. It is the partnership they have and watching them work together and become a team. I know he is struggling but there is a lot of warmth and heart there and he is not Master P. bad. I think the younger ones could take a lessons from him about enjoying the experience and not being so tense and anxious.

I think for Emma as a first year pro is showcasing what she can do. She has bad music to deal with and the oldest male celeb who is a little stiff and clunky. With the other pros getting Corbin and Brant she probably thought well I'm out early for my first year.

But instead of relying on that old standby of dancing around her male partner who can't dance she is actually making Bill learn the steps and doing more classic choreo. And he listens and does what she tells him to do and works hard at it. He isn't fighting with her or complaining that he is older or a nondance nor joking his way through it which you would expect from a comedian. And he knows each week he will be leaving and not stressing about it but is enjoying every minute he is there.

Frankly I thought Emma was unhappy when she got him at first and you would expect that it would be a disaster - a middle aged wise cracking Texan and a very young British girl. Training would be a long day for both of them because they would have nothing in common. But no they have bonded really well and I get the feeling she is a little smitten with him in a nonromantic "I really like and enjoy him and this has been a wonderful experience for me" kind of way. The way she burst out into tears when she thought they were going home this week and it was celeb comforting the pro, haha.

I know eventually he will be out and then it will be like watching paint dry. I really don't care about the winner. Whoever, whatever. They would have to do a spectacular dance to engage me enough to vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I think it is the cast. Sorry for long post.

I feel exactly the same way and that is why I cannot get behind the better dancers this year. So Bill and Emma it is for me. It is the partnership they have and watching them work together and become a team. I know he is struggling but there is a lot of warmth and heart there and he is not Master P. bad. I think the younger ones could take a lessons from him about enjoying the experience and not being so tense and anxious.

I think for Emma as a first year pro is showcasing what she can do. She has bad music to deal with and the oldest male celeb who is a little stiff and clunky. With the other pros getting Corbin and Brant she probably thought well I'm out early for my first year.

But instead of relying on that old standby of dancing around her male partner who can't dance she is actually making Bill learn the steps and doing more classic choreo. And he listens and does what she tells him to do and works hard at it. He isn't fighting with her or complaining that he is older or a nondance nor joking his way through it which you would expect from a comedian. And he knows each week he will be leaving and not stressing about it but is enjoying every minute he is there.

Frankly I thought Emma was unhappy when she got him at first and you would expect that it would be a disaster - a middle aged wise cracking Texan and a very young British girl. Training would be a long day for both of them because they would have nothing in common. But no they have bonded really well and I get the feeling she is a little smitten with him in a nonromantic "I really like and enjoy him and this has been a wonderful experience for me" kind of way. The way she burst out into tears when she thought they were going home this week and it was celeb comforting the pro, haha.

I know eventually he will be out and then it will be like watching paint dry. I really don't care about the winner. Whoever, whatever. They would have to do a spectacular dance to engage me enough to vote.

Don't apologise it's not too long a post:D In actuality I've enjoyed coming on here more than watching the show, even if it's to have a winge:o Not that I want to be a 'moaner' I would much prefer to say I loved that dance, or it made me smile or happy to watch, find that's not really the case this season. Like you Lili, I think I will bow out once Bill and Emma leave the progamme.

Funnily enough, I think Bill and Emma are more alike in terms of personality and are probably the most matched of all the pairing imo. Think Bill is a bit fatherly towards Emma and has taken her under his wing, maybe wrong about that just what I've gleaned from their interviews.

Emma is very grounded, doesnt make a fuss and seems patient and caring towards Bill and it seems to be reciprocated.

Think that is in part why I like them the most because they are getting on with it. Some of the other celebs seem to be making heavy weather of their experience. They are getting paid handsomely, upping their profile and being given a golden opportunity to learn from top pros, a win win you would think! The thought crossed my mind with a couple of them, are they there to learn to dance as their main priority or is it more about changing public perception of them or being used as a platform to put 'their side of things' to a wider audience. That's not to say most of the celebs are there for beneficial reasons, aiding their career etc, but with a few of them it seems to overshadow their dancing.

Have you any idea of their chances of Emma and Bill lasting in the show Lili?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think Bill is a bit fatherly towards Emma and has taken her under his wing, maybe wrong about that just what I've gleaned from their interviews.

Yes, I get that too. He seems protective of her and wants do everything he can to make her proud and not let her down. He's like her American dad while she is in the states.

I have no idea how long he will stay. I always think they are going to be out every week. I do know that on the ABC message boards all of his threads the only ones that are marked high interest if that means anything and his twitter feed is very active and growing.

If he makes it through this elimination and he does the quickstep well they just might have another week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I get that too. He seems protective of her and wants do everything he can to make her proud and not let her down. He's like her American dad while she is in the states.

I have no idea how long he will stay. I always think they are going to be out every week. I do know that on the ABC message boards all of his threads the only ones that are marked high interest if that means anything and his twitter feed is very active and growing.

If he makes it through this elimination and he does the quickstep well they just might have another week.

Let's hope they last a little longer then, otherwise it will be Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz all the way to the final:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had thought that maybe he had turned some people off when he did his tribute to his wife but I understood that because I knew she almost passed away and how painful that was for him and why he gets emotional when talking about her. I am glad he did not go there though and make it about sympathy and drama. Instead it was more the fact that she stood behind him because having your spouse on the road as a struggling comedian is not the easiest marriage. At one point he was going to give it up and go back to Texas to become a teacher.

Anyway it is hard to know if he and Jack were really the bottom 2 so next week we will know who is getting the public support.
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funny thing about this season is that I liked the lineup when they were announced. I knew of most of them whereas I found the strictly lineup disappointing. Now I'm enjoying strictly more they seem to have a better mix and better partnerships.

My favourites on dwts is Bill and Emma because he is really trying and they have a natural friendship that easily comes across also Emma is making him dance. I like Snooki but not a fan of Sasha. Jack and Cheryl are a great pairing and he is getting better. Brant seems nice but never been a fan of Peta (who dances around her celeb) would rather Chelsie was with Brant. The cha cha has been the first dance Val & Elisabeth have done were I seen any sign of them getting on and dancing together. Mark and Derek are/were doing the same thing with their partner where each dance has the same character. Like Corbin and Karina together.

I do think the format is a massive problem too. The public is voting on a dance the week before which is problematic to put it nicely. There are no after dance confessionals, little pro numbers or celeb guest spots. DWTS always have the problem that it didn't have a programme like ITT and relayed on entertainment news programmes to hear from the couple away from the dancefloor and there doesn't some to be the same level of interest this season.

I have always hated that on DWTS - 7 is viewed like an awful score :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I am done with this show; done with the season; This is basically my last post here :p lol.
    I watch this to be entertained and because I love dance; laugh, connect with some celebs/pros, get to know them but it has really changed. I end up frustrated, angry ....after watching an episode of Dwts ; It is so much contrived nowadays ; The manipulation is even more blatant now if you really think about it and the power of the public making a difference in the outcome has really been taken away from them if you think about it; this season more so than ever. I feel like no matter what happens or what the public think, TPTB or the judges are going to make whoever they want to go far, progress even if they are not necessarily popular with the public; Trick the results, do whatever.....

I am always stunned how different Strictly and Dwts are. Whenever I watch the former I always have a good time, cry of laughter :D:D, it is so uplifting as a whole imo. I am just tired of Dwts shenanigans lol. I had enough !!! :p lol.
    And from what I've observed over the years, the pros, celebs, fans take dwts way, way, way too seriously and it's very off-putting. This is not a matter of life or death :rolleyes:, it's just an entertainment show for goodness sake !

So yeah I am done with this show. I will stick with Strictly :p:D:cool::)
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    edy10 wrote: »
    Personally I am done with this show; done with the season; This is basically my last post here :p lol.
    I watch this to be entertained and because I love dance; laugh, connect with some celebs/pros, get to know them but it has really changed. I end up frustrated, angry ....after watching an episode of Dwts ; It is so much contrived nowadays ; The manipulation is even more blatant now if you really think about it and the power of the public making a difference in the outcome has really been taken away from them if you think about it; this season more so than ever. I feel like no matter what happens or what the public think, TPTB or the judges are going to make whoever they want to go far, progress even if they are not necessarily popular with the public; Trick the results, do whatever.....

I am always stunned how different Strictly and Dwts are. Whenever I watch the former I always have a good time, cry of laughter :D:D, it is so uplifting as a whole imo. I am just tired of Dwts shenanigans lol. I had enough !!! :p lol.
    And from what I've observed over the years, the pros, celebs, fans take dwts way, way, way too seriously and it's very off-putting. This is not a matter of life or death :rolleyes:, it's just an entertainment show for goodness sake !

It's very contrived. The team dances next week; Has Derek ever lost a team dance? Amber, Corbin and Brant are in the same team, while Bill E and Leah are in the same team - what a total and utter fix. I bet Elizabeth gets another 30 to compensate for being with the crap dancers.

I hate team dances, as they are very unfair in nature at the best of times.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

What does that prove? The joke acts on Strictly get the loudest and longest applause usually.
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops just realised in my earlier post that I completely forgot about Leah & Tony - not a good sign.

Finally saw all the dances this week agreed with Len about Corbin & Karina's dance that it was great but not a viennesse waltz starting to like Sasha more though I still think that he looks like he is marking it when he dances with Snooki sorry Nicole I know I get at some pros for over dancing but sometimes Sasha looks like he is putting no effort in and walking through it.

I actually like Brant dance for once granted they were in hold the whole time so that could be why. Amber was good but seriously can we see a different side to this partnership? Elisabeth and Val actually danced like they knew each other. Loved Bill & Emma's partnership but what was with that music?? Also think Cheryl and Jack work well together he seems to really enjoy dancing & it shows. All did well in switch up challenge and I enjoyed it.
    edy10 wrote: »

Agree that the show is taken far too seriously more seriously than strictly; it is only a plastic glitterball at the end of the day. the tptb and judges have too much say/power and it is hard to ignore but I still like dwts prefer strictly but always did - hate the format this year on dwts
    j4Rose wrote: »
    It's very contrived. The team dances next week; Has Derek ever lost a team dance? Amber, Corbin and Brant are in the same team, while Bill E and Leah are in the same team - what a total and utter fix. I bet Elizabeth gets another 30 to compensate for being with the crap dancers.

I hate team dances, as they are very unfair in nature at the best of times.

Don't think so. I don't mind team dances but don't like them having an effect on scores and someone from the losing team nearly always leave (think once on doi someone in the top team ended up in the bottom two but not sure) so it is very unfair to be so unbalanced.