Do you use the correct hands for eating?

Comments

• flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    I must be :D

Seriously though, a 50's child who was taught the 'correct' way of eating but no one tried to change the way I wrote. So a bit of a mishmash. Great for painting walls as I can use both hands!

:D Got an image of 'Edward Painter Hands' of you in my head ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I eat most things with my hands tbh. I don't like knives and forks and I don't use them 'properly'. I don't care which hand knife or fork goes in as long as food ends in my mouth. I do like spoons.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    :D Got an image of 'Edward Painter Hands' of you in my head ;-)
    I've got the nails too :D
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This really irritates me. I am the only one out of the four of us here (inc my sons girlfriend who eats here regularly)that uses cutlery correctly. Why my son eats like this amazes me as he was never brought up to do so. Another thing, which my husband does, is eats with his elbows on the table. It drives me crazy! It is such bad manners

Animals!!! :o:o

As a another poster said, I really can't understand why anyone is bothered about this. As long as someone isn't disgustingly chewing with their mouth wide open (which is indeed bad manners) why should anyone care how another person is holding their cutlery? :confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Animals!!! :o:o

As a another poster said, I really can't understand why anyone is bothered about this. As long as someone isn't disgustingly chewing with their mouth wide open (which is indeed bad manners) why should anyone care how another person is holding their cutlery? :confused::confused:

A spoon shoveler of peas is a disgrace I tell you! peas should be eaten from the upper side of a fork, no matter how difficult it may seem. (perhaps that is why peas are not often served at dinner parties?)
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Noooooooo, spoon right hand too...:o ;-)

Conventional is to hold the spoon with the right hand, you are correct, but I don't normally, being ambidextrous.

ETA. If I want to pick up certain food to eat by hand, I'll usually use my left hand. My Muslim friends should be offended by this apparently, but as most of them drink or smoke or take drugs, it isn't usually an issue. :p

Most of them know I'm half Jewish as well, but do they give a f*ck.

It can work.

'Fancy Footwork' Chromeo [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKq2ptu7qw
    wikipedia wrote:
    The duo met in the mid-1990s at Collège Stanislas in Montreal. Considering their backgrounds, the two childhood friends jokingly describe themselves as "the only successful Arab/Jewish partnership since the dawn of human culture".[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromeo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like my peas with honey
    I've done it all my life
    It makes my peas taste funny
    but it keeps them on the knife.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done it all my life

:o How revolting, no matter which hand you hold your knife, tis wrong I tell you WRONG, no point honey coating it!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o How revolting, no matter which hand you hold your knife, tis wrong I tell you WRONG, no point honey coating it!!!!!!
    Heston is taking notes ;-):D
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    Right handed. Fork with my right, knife with my left.

I'd probably do that too if I was right handed. As it is I'm a lefty and am happy to have the fork in my left hand. Makes more sense to me to have the fork in your strongest hand and seeing as most people are right-handed I don't understand where the convention of the fork being your left hand came from.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I'd probably do that too if I was right handed. As it is I'm a lefty and am happy to have the fork in my left hand. Makes more sense to me to have the fork in your strongest hand.

Like a dining fork is heavy to lift, or was that a garden fork you are talking about. :p
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Like a dining fork is heavy to lift, or was that a garden fork you are talking about. :p

Forks are unbearably heavy! I eat most things using just my hands. Mash with gravy's a right mess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Hehe, strongest was maybe a bad word - most dexterous instead? I don't know.....If I grab something, whatever that thing is it tends to be with my left as I'm left handed. As I have the fork in my hand more often than the knife and am moving it about more from plate to gob, it feels natural to have it that hand. Knives really don't do much work, especially if they're sharp. So yeah, if I was right-handed I'd hold my fork in my right. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hehe, strongest was maybe a bad word - most dexterous instead? I don't know.....If I grab something, whatever that thing is it tends to be with my left as I'm left handed. As I have the fork in my hand more often than the knife and am moving it about more from plate to gob, it feels natural to have it that hand. Knives really don't do much work, especially if they're sharp. So yeah, if I was right-handed I'd hold my fork in my right. :blush:

If you were carving a joint of meat, which hand would you use the carving knife with?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you were carving a joint of meat, which hand would you use the carving knife with?

Right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right.

I am not being awkward, but, what makes you left handed then? Is it just that you write with your left hand?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not being awkward, but, what makes you left handed then? Is it just that you write with your left hand?

Not just that. I hold a snooker/pool cue in my left hand too, played tennis or badminton left-handed, ten-pin bowling the same. I throw left-handed. With a screwdriver I'm not bad with either but prefer left. Scissors I can use right-handed no problem, don't have to use those special left-handed ones. I swing a golf club or a cricket bat right-handed though, but I'd bowl the cricket ball with my left.

Perhaps I'm slightly mixed up but I'd regard myself as left-handed overall.

Edit: My computer mouse is in my left hand too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just that. I hold a snooker/pool cue in my left hand too, played tennis or badminton left-handed, ten-pin bowling the same. I throw left-handed. With a screwdriver I'm not bad with either but prefer left. Scissors I can use right-handed no problem, don't have to use those special left-handed ones. I swing a golf club or a cricket bat right-handed though, but I'd bowl the cricket ball with my left.

Perhaps I'm slightly mixed up but I'd regard myself as left-handed overall.

Edit: My computer mouse is in my left hand too!

After replying to this thread and using 'imaginary' cutlery to make sure of my left and right, with my hand firmly planted on my mouse in my right hand, I am willing to say, I am a stunted right hander ...:D
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I'm right handed but always eat with the fork in my right hand, always have done, always will do.

My Mother was left handed and it's probably from her that I learned this pattern of behaviour.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I think it's the norm among Americans, even when eating something quite knife-dependent (e.g. cut up meat etc using fork in left hand and knife in right, then put knife down and swap fork to right hand in order to insert food in mouth - no, I don't understand either).

Am left-handed, fork stays in left hand all the time even if a knife is involved.

That is how Americans are taught to eat, I work for an American company so have seen this a lot and it always looks such an ungainly way to eat to me. In fact one of my American colleagues taught himself to eat like Eueopeans as he was so conscious the way he ate was so dofferent to everyone else.

On the plus side, though, I can spot an American diner at 100 yds in any restaurant!
    I've done it all my life

Usually attributed to the great Edward Lear, although I don't think it was ever established whether he actually wrote it. :)
  • marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm left-handed, so the implement I lift to my mouth, for which I need the dexterity for, is in my left hand. Take that, Cutlery Stasi!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I'm a lefty and use my left hand for forking.
  • marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I'm a lefty and use my left hand for forking.

Which side do you spoon on? ;)
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Left hand
    Tip food in blender
    Right hand
    Whizz it to mush
    Left hand
    Pour into Tommy Tippee mug
    http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/easy-drink-beaker/
    Right hand
    Drink it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Which side do you spoon on? ;)

Always the left. I actually think I'm ambidextrous.