Wii U

RoyceRoyce Posts: 128
Forum Member
It`s arrived!!

I switched it on, connected to the wifi, it went to an 'Updating - please do not turn off your console' screen, a progress bar filled up and about 4/5 minutes later it was ready to roll.

Its ZombiU for me tonight and NSMBU is on its way from Shopto for tomorrow night.

Regardless of whatever shortcomings the Wii U has, im a very happy man!

If anyone is still looking to get one I think (well according to Vanillaplay anyway) ShopTo still have a chocie of bundles in stock (link)

Comments

• barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky thing! I have it pre-ordered but not getting it til Christmas. Please post us your thoughts when you get the chance :) I hope that you took a while to do that because you are too busy having a great time :p
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    I get mine on Friday - got a phone call last night confirming it was instore waiting to be picked up on Friday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picking mine up friday, i don't get it till my birthday on the 17th of next month though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed that, on the game website at least, that WiiU games now have sensible prices, i was on game.co.uk just last week and the games cost about 49.99 and most of them are 39.99
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    I'll just see what the instore prices are on Friday. If they're stupid then I won't bother for a while. I've still got some Wii games to play anyway, so I'll just start with those until prices come down.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exciting times, in exactly 12 hours and 39 minutes i shall be paying for mine...hopefully:)
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Royce wrote: »
    It`s arrived!!

I switched it on, connected to the wifi, it went to an 'Updating - please do not turn off your console' screen, a progress bar filled up and about 4/5 minutes later it was ready to roll.

Its ZombiU for me tonight and NSMBU is on its way from Shopto for tomorrow night.

Regardless of whatever shortcomings the Wii U has, im a very happy man!

If anyone is still looking to get one I think (well according to Vanillaplay anyway) ShopTo still have a chocie of bundles in stock (link)

is there a cancel update option.? im going to go into the menu first to turn off the power save mode, just to be safe
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Have this preordered for my Christmas but when it does arrive, I'll get all the updates sorted out before putting it by til then
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Mine just turned up at 1830, I was surprised as I thought they stopped delivering at 1730 and had given up hope!

Zombie u premium pack here I come! Amazon pre order by the way
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Wii U is currently 120 miles away ;_;
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People with the early arrivals - who did you order with?

I ordered with Amazon and mine is out for delivery atm. Forsee a day of waiting around.
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ordered with Amazon.

According to the tracker mine was in a Van in Sandwell at 7.39am (Sandwell is not far at all, depending on what part of Sandwell) So I like to think I'll be getting it real soon.

Last night I went to bed excited like it was Christmas eve!
  • technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is at home waiting for me.....heres hoping it exceeds the expectations..... what's everyone think of Nindendoland?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Mine is at home waiting for me.....heres hoping it exceeds the expectations..... what's everyone think of Nindendoland?

The only game I have that refuses to load :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Picking mine up soon but wanted to check out what others said first and hearing all good things, and after watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqMyauAnmls&list=PL261F194C1264D270&index=1&feature=plcp

and hearing you guys I think i'm going to be very happy :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picked my zombieU beundle up from game with Epic Mickey and super mario

But i don't even get to open the box till my birthday :(

I bought Farcry 3 to ease the pain during the wait though :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picking mine up soon but wanted to check out what others said first and hearing all good things, and after watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqMyauAnmls&list=PL261F194C1264D270&index=1&feature=plcp

and hearing you guys I think i'm going to be very happy :)
    Might be a daft thing to ask but is it purely a hand held thing , simmiliar to the DS?
  • RoyceRoyce Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I have to say that the Wii U Gamepad really is a thing of beauty, I was very pleasantly surprised by how big the screen is, I was expecting something the same size as my Galaxy Note.

Only really had time to play Zombie U. It feels like you are doing the same thing over, and over to be honest.

I`ve heard of Amazon orders missing games. Fortunately I got mine from ShopTo. They try to ship things to arrive on release day rather than ship them on release day. Thats how you can occasionally get things early from them.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Might be a daft thing to ask but is it purely a hand held thing , simmiliar to the DS?

It's a home console like the Wii/360/PS3..it just happens to have a controller which has a 6 inch screen (all the content streams from the console to the controller). The controller has to be used within a certain range of the console like any controller.

Basically a game like Call of Duty would be played on tv as usual..but you can have your inventory/map/stats/whatever on the controller...

...or if if someone want to use the big tv to watch X factor or some other rubbish,you'll be able to switch to playing certain games on just the controller . ..

..or if you wanted to play a two player game..one can use a wii remote/nunchuk or pro-controller to play the game on tv..while someone else can play against or with you on the wii U controller (so you both have your own screen without having to have a splitscreen on the tv).
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »

Yes you are correct, it is a daft thing to ask.:p
    WiiU is nothing like a DS. WiiU is a completely new console you play on the TV, it just that the new controller also has a touch screen on it.
    Yes at times you can use it to play certain games and watch video on its screen as long as your in the facinity of the console, but mainly it just a new controller to go with the new console.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to confess to being extremely underwhelmed at present.

For a start, I've been unable to connect the blasted thing to the internet. This seems to be a widespread problem but none of the solutions I've seen (manually configuring the SSID, Encryption key, IP and DNS) have worked for me. Have a horrible feeling that it's not compatible with my 3com router.

I'm far from a novice at this and have at least 20 other devices configured on my router. Typically it takes 10 seconds to connect a new device. I've been puzzling over the WiiU for a couple of hours. I have a 3DS in front of me and I'm able to clear the network settings and go through setup (which is similar to the WiiU's awful menus) and get connected in a few moments...but with the exact same settings (aside from allocating it its own ip) it fails to connect. Or, if I'm lucky, it will connect to my router but won't get to the internet.

AWFUL. As of yet, I have no online capability. I get the feeling that I'm going to need to get a new router and completely overhaul my home network just to get this thing online.

I've had a quick blast of Nintendoland and find it very mediocre. "Look at the gamepad" I keep being told. I don't want to look at the gamepad. I want to look at the TV. I didn't buy a handheld, I bought a console that is supposed to be connected and played on the television. The games are also pretty flat and uninteresting.

I have Super Mario Bros too but think I'll wait until I'm in a better mood as I'm close to chucking the thing out of the window.

I am a lifelong Nintendo fan. I'm not some rabid hater. I've owned every console (except the SNES) since the NES. This is the first time I've been incredibly disappointed with my first impressions of the console.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Yes you are correct, it is a daft thing to ask.:p
    WiiU is nothing like a DS. WiiU is a completely new console you play on the TV, it just that the new controller also has a touch screen on it.
    Yes at times you can use it to play certain games and watch video on its screen as long as your in the facinity of the console, but mainly it just a new controller to go with the new console.
    Ok fair enough :(:o. It sounds really confusimg to me and reading the last post doesen't really make me want to get one lol.
  • AkimboGeordieAkimboGeordie Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Smerph wrote: »
    Have to confess to being extremely underwhelmed at present.

For a start, I've been unable to connect the blasted thing to the internet. This seems to be a widespread problem but none of the solutions I've seen (manually configuring the SSID, Encryption key, IP and DNS) have worked for me. Have a horrible feeling that it's not compatible with my 3com router.

I'm far from a novice at this and have at least 20 other devices configured on my router. Typically it takes 10 seconds to connect a new device. I've been puzzling over the WiiU for a couple of hours. I have a 3DS in front of me and I'm able to clear the network settings and go through setup (which is similar to the WiiU's awful menus) and get connected in a few moments...but with the exact same settings (aside from allocating it its own ip) it fails to connect. Or, if I'm lucky, it will connect to my router but won't get to the internet.

AWFUL. As of yet, I have no online capability. I get the feeling that I'm going to need to get a new router and completely overhaul my home network just to get this thing online.

I've had a quick blast of Nintendoland and find it very mediocre. "Look at the gamepad" I keep being told. I don't want to look at the gamepad. I want to look at the TV. I didn't buy a handheld, I bought a console that is supposed to be connected and played on the television. The games are also pretty flat and uninteresting.

I have Super Mario Bros too but think I'll wait until I'm in a better mood as I'm close to chucking the thing out of the window.

I am a lifelong Nintendo fan. I'm not some rabid hater. I've owned every console (except the SNES) since the NES. This is the first time I've been incredibly disappointed with my first impressions of the console.

Once you finally do get it connected to the internet all will change... its essential you do the huge update before using it.

It is a superb console IMO ... I had every console since the NES and this is pretty impressive.

I had no such issues connecting to the internet... 10 seconds.. done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an update, I've managed to connect by, essentially, reconfiguring my home network. For some, utterly bizarre reason, Wii U does not like my 3com router configured to allow 802.11n (ie. the latest wifi technology, around since 2009 and perfectly fine with Wii, 3DS among others).

I've had to switch my router to 802.11g only. Yes, g - a technology introduced about 9 years ago.

I'm not sure if this is just 3Com routers (and maybe there's a bit of firmware for the router) but I find it baffling that NO other device has had any issues connecting to my network.

It's currently downloading the update. It's taking rather a long time.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    It's good to read your impressions guys, keep them coming. :) Gotta say NSMB-U looks so much fun!