Options

Nicolas Winding Refn's The Neon Demon

MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
Forum Member
✭✭
A horror film from Nicolas Winding Refn starring Elle Fanning, Abbey Lee, Christina Hendricks, Keanu Reeves and Jena Malone. Premieres at Cannes in May.

Certainly looks great!
The film is inspired by Elizabeth Báthory de Ecsed, a 16th century countess considered one of the most prolific female murderers who ever lived. Báthory is the one rumored to have bathed in the blood of virgins to maintain her appearance, which seems appropriate given that The Neon Demon is all about women obsessed with youth and beauty.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cipOTUO0CmU

Comments

• Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Cheers.

Very intriguing. Bit of a Black Swan vibe going on. Wasn't that keen on Only God Forgives but I'll certainly give this a go.

Note: another 'visionary director' - the in-tag of now.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I'm interested in this one.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was definitely intriguing (maybe slightly pretentious) but I didn't fully love it. If the second trailer/or general promotion is just as promising I may go watch it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Official UK teaser for The Neon Demon with added Keanu

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH-srjX2H1c
  • Options
    RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I know I was in the minority but I really enjoyed 'Only God Forgives' so more than willing to give this a go...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Official trailer has been released.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMo1AaA9kQQ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film premiered at Cannes last night where it got booed! :D Lol!
    The Neon Demon is a gorgeously grotty little number without a thought in its pretty little head. It will be disliked by many for inarguably valid reasons, so the least the rest of us can do is feel a little ashamed of ourselves for enjoying it so much.
    Spectacular, gross and delicious, the film is more proof of Refn’s mastery of his trash aesthetic and more fun than anything this indulgent and empty-headed has any right to be. If he can ever find some meaning to attach all these glorious signifiers to, he might be on to something, but the wilfully surface, nasty camp of The Neon Demon will do just fine till that day comes.

I'm definetely in!
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Saw the trailer the other day, potential lesbo action...I'm in!
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the trailer the other day, potential lesbo action...I'm in!

lesbian necrophilia action in fact
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    St Dabeoc wrote: »
    lesbian necrophilia action in fact

No spoilers please!

Want to go in and watch without knowing anything about it.

Getting very decent reviews and a huge improvement on Only God Forgives.

Out next Fri in the UK.
  • Options
    Society619Society619 Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    https://societyreviews.wordpress.com...-demon-review/

'Nicolas Winding Refn is the director for this film who has directed such titles as Drive and Only God Forgives. Now I have never seen these films and maybe that’s the problem because many people who have say that Refn is a ‘style over substance’ director and after watching this movie I can say that substance is meth…laced with crack.'

My Neon Demon Review
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching this today?

It's playing at my local Cineworld despite most screens being taken up with the usual summer blockbuster fare.
  • Options
    s_mirages_mirage Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this. Beautifully filmed, well acted, great soundtrack. The pacing's perhaps not the best, and I'd question the film's depth, but it was certainly an aesthetic feast with a delightfully messed up final third.

Not for everyone, and I believe it polarises opinion, but two thumbs up from me.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really do want to see this. getting five star reviews across the board on letterboxd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s_mirage wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this. Beautifully filmed, well acted, great soundtrack. The pacing's perhaps not the best, and I'd question the film's depth, but it was certainly an aesthetic feast with a delightfully messed up final third.

Not for everyone, and I believe it polarises opinion, but two thumbs up from me.

Finally got around to seeing it today and i pretty much agree with your assessment. Much much better than Only God Forgives but not as good as Drive imo.

Kinda horror, but not really. Kinda a chick flick, but not really. More a suspense with chills and some thrills.

The cast across the board are great. Elle Fanning is the lead closely followed by Jena Malone and then Abbey Lee and Bella Heathcote. Keanu Reeves is in the film more than Christina Hendricks. Desmond Harrington i thought was great as the photographer and Reeves was wildly entertaining playing a sleazy motel manager.

The film is STUNNING to look at, it's beautifully shot. The use of colours is magnificent and plays a part in the narrative. The soundtrack is superb, once again by Cliff Martinez Refn's go-to guy. There is a lot to like and enjoy about TND i think the film has some depth but if someone said style over substance i wouldn't disagree.

I do think this is destined to become a cult classic and my god, the final 20-25mins is pretty much batshit crazy! :D
  • Options
    MuTron1MuTron1 Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was always going to be catnip for me, and the Picturehouse group have a Winding Refn curated season of films to go with it that pretty much telegraphs the influences gone into the film (Carrie, Videodrome, Suspiria, Mulholland Drive) which include a lot of my favourites of all time.

I didn't think it as shallow and all surface as some critics have, the theme of beauty and what it means to those who have it and those who want to possess it is an interesting one.

I enjoyed the final quarter, with the more offensive parts being something of a punctuation between a psychological thriller and a horror film, but my wife who was watching it with me felt it went too far.

It's nice to see that, in order to compete with and offer something different to the current trend of high end TV series threatening to make cinema/film irrelevant, directors are doing things that just wouldn't work in anything other than a 90 minute-2 hour film, with this being the highest budget example of a trend that's been bubbling up through things like Amer and Beyond The Black Rainbow, to Peter Strickland's and Ben Wheatley's films.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I think this film has split a lot of people. Mark Kermode loved it - but other critics have hated it. It's seems to be a bit of a marmite film. I did liked "Drive" - thought it was a case of style over substance. I am sort of intrigued by this new film. I've heard it has some strong stuff in as well - so, maybe not for the faint of heart.
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its nearly two weeks since I seen this film and I am still thinking about it.
    As said above, totally bonkers at points but I really enjoyed it.

We had a few walk outs when we were in. :(