Options

ER....From the beginning.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Even though I remembered what happened with Mark's dad, I still found it incredibly moving when he took him out on the boat one last time and also when
    he stayed with him right til the end looking after him (I put this bit in spoilers for those of us who won't get to see this bit until next week :)). I think it made it more touching knowing that Mark himself will die in only a few years/seasons and Elizabeth will be the one who has to take over the role of carer for him :(:cry:)

I agree with everything you said :)
    I think his dad telling him that Mark becoming a doctor was the proudest moment of his life, when you know from the show that he never really said things like this to his son, was extremely moving - it affects me even now just typing it.

Also at the end when Mark broke down, after been so strong through out... I wish the person who called me emotional dead once could have seen me during this episode :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything you said :)
    I think his dad telling him that Mark becoming a doctor was the proudest moment of his life, when you know from the show that he never really said things like this to his son, was extremely moving - it affects me even now just typing it.

Also at the end when Mark broke down, after been so strong through out... I wish the person who called me emotional dead once could have seen me during this episode :D:D

I agree with both of you :) - this was one of my favourite episodes even though it made me cry. I thought the actor who played Mark's dad portrayed his character brilliantly. I just loved the way he played him - he made him into a great character.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you cry your eyes out :D:D:D

I did indeed although I found the scene on the boat terribly sad as well.

Hope the George Clooney fans and Carol dislikers are ready for the 6pm show tonight.
    A cameo from George and a goodbye from Carol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did indeed although I found the scene on the boat terribly sad as well.

Hope the George Clooney fans and Carol dislikers are ready for the 6pm show tonight.
    A cameo from George and a goodbye from Carol.

ER is so up and down.

Crying one minute, cheering the next :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww that was so sad...:cry:

I'll miss her..
  • Options
    frailfuryfrailfury Posts: 7,222
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing it cost the producers something like $2.5 million per minute to get George Clooney back. I would have thought if they were getting him back for an episode, they would have given him a small part, or just got a lookalike to play the back of him or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Awww that was so sad...:cry:

I'll miss her..
    See what I found sad was the mother dying, Carter's breakdown in the Bathroom, Mark's chat with his daughter.

Carol's "It's not you, it's me" speech to Luka - been there plenty of times.

Carol actually leaving though I didn't find sad - even if I wasn't waiting for this moment I don't think I would find it sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Carol, she's been with us for 6 seasons although it was time for her to go, couldn't bare watching Kovac fall for her knowing she was off back to Doug..Can't believe it's the end of Season 6 tonight, Looking forward to season 7 tomorrow!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how your memory plays tricks...I remembered it that Doug came to see Carol, not the other way round. I don't have any recollection of her getting the plane to see him or anything. And it was a bit irresponsible if you ask me, just running off like that to see him. She could at least have finished her shift first! :D

I was sad to see Carol go, but only because it was another one of the "originals" that left. Only Carter and Mark Greene are left now I think :(

And poor Luka :( really felt sorry for him when she dumped him. Still, at least
    Abby
    should mend his broken heart. When does that happen, anyone know?

Can't believe we're on to season 7 already. What I want to know is
    is this the season when Romano has his arm chopped off by the helicopter? It must be coming soon and I can't wait to see it again, evil person that I am ;):cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how your memory plays tricks...I remembered it that Doug came to see Carol, not the other way round. I don't have any recollection of her getting the plane to see him or anything. And it was a bit irresponsible if you ask me, just running off like that to see him. She could at least have finished her shift first! :D

I was sad to see Carol go, but only because it was another one of the "originals" that left. Only Carter and Mark Greene are left now I think :(

And poor Luka :( really felt sorry for him when she dumped him. Still, at least
    Abby
    should mend his broken heart. When does that happen, anyone know?

Can't believe we're on to season 7 already. What I want to know is
    is this the season when Romano has his arm chopped off by the helicopter? It must be coming soon and I can't wait to see it again, evil person that I am ;):cool:

Season 7 brings
    Mark's tumour

And as for the other thing that happens in season 9, although it was on youtube the last time I looked!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 7 brings
    Mark's tumour

Blimey, that's come around quick :eek: I thought we had a couple more seasons before that happened and if it's happening now, what happens with
    Elizabeth? I thought that she and Mark were married and had baby Ella before Mark got his brain tumour. Does this mean that none of that happens until after then? :confused:
    And as for the other thing that happens in season 9, although it was on youtube the last time I looked!

Can't believe I have to wait for S9 before that happens (at the current rate they're being shown, I know that only means it's a month or so away but still... :D)

Might just have to go and have a look...don't think I can wait that long :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically Mark goes like this
    Mark and Elizabeth decide to marry, Elizabeth discovers she is pregnant, Mark's tumour is diagnosed, Mark has surgery, they marry, Elizabeth gives birth, Mark's tumour reappears leading to his death towards the end of season 8
  • Options
    petestanpetestan Posts: 3,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A few of the nurses are still in it, Lydia, Haleh and Chuny to name some. :D
  • Options
    frailfuryfrailfury Posts: 7,222
    Forum Member
    Anyone got dips in sound on tonights episode?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    frailfury wrote: »
    Anyone got dips in sound on tonights episode?

I didn't experience any sound dips sorry.
    Tonight actor game is the Mark Valley of Human Target fame is Abby's Ex, although he was famous before his ER appearance so possibly not best example.

You could also go with Wentworth Miller but he was in the episode description anyway :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The start of season 7 was fun wasn't it!

Yet again I'd forgotton the Abby stuff with her ex and her fees, and Carter being in rehab.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically Mark goes like this
    Mark and Elizabeth decide to marry, Elizabeth discovers she is pregnant, Mark's tumour is diagnosed, Mark has surgery, they marry, Elizabeth gives birth, Mark's tumour reappears leading to his death towards the end of season 8

Blimey :eek: Can't believe all that is yet to happen. This must mean that
    Susan comes back into it either this season or next then as I remember her being around when Mark's tumour came back again. That's good because I liked her and was sorry to see her character leave. There was always a part of me what wished she and Mark had gotten together like they nearly did back at the start.
    petestan wrote: »
    A few of the nurses are still in it, Lydia, Haleh and Chuny to name some. :D

Yes...but I don't count them for some reason :) They always seemed like "extras" to me. Apart from Wendy having a fling with Mark and Lydia(?) marrying that cop in the earlier series, they never really had their own storylines and always seemed to be kept in the background :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blimey :eek: Can't believe all that is yet to happen. This must mean that
    Susan comes back into it either this season or next then as I remember her being around when Mark's tumour came back again. That's good because I liked her and was sorry to see her character leave. There was always a part of me what wished she and Mark had gotten together like they nearly did back at the start.

Yes...but I don't count them for some reason :) They always seemed like "extras" to me. Apart from Wendy having a fling with Mark and Lydia(?) marrying that cop in the earlier series, they never really had their own storylines and always seemed to be kept in the background :)

Chuny not Wendy :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuny not Wendy :)

See...proves my point about them being in the background :D

Have now caught up completely and am watching the 6pm showings now instead of the following 9am ones.

Completely forgotten about all the Carter rehab stuff and Abby and her ex...does this mean that
    Abby gets together with Carter first instead of Luka? I know there's some whole quandrangle thing with Abby, Carter, Luka and Susan, but thought that was some way off. All depends on when Susan comes back I suppose

I also thought it was really sad about the
    couple who lost their premature baby. So heartbreaking that he lived for 9 hours, yet they couldn't do anything to save him as he was born before 23 weeks :( And that heartless doctor who used it as an excuse to show off to his students and was mauling the baby like a piece of meat was horrible :mad: I thought Abby handled him really well

But on a more happier note
    Mark and Elizabeth have got engaged! :) Such a lovely proposal and I had completely forgotten all about it (like everything else that's happened so far it seems :))
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I loved ER, back in the day. I watched all the seasons up to about half way through ten, then stopped. It was still a good entertaining show, but I just didn't care about them any more. Not like I did..
    I think that it was largely because of the way that the plots became too unbelievable (Romano and the helicopters?) and I also felt that I didn't like where they took Carters character- his storyline- it just didn't fit for me.

But now, I have watched and enjoyed it again. Loved and was moved by Mark and his Dads story, I love Mark and Elizabeth, but not together so much. I never felt that they 'matched' somehow. But, in a funny way I think that it added to the pathos of Marks story- as a fairly ordinary albeit very talented and decent man, who somehow never seems to get everything that he deserves. I guess that it's things like this which made ER so real and so good.

Anyway, from being marginally interested it seems I have been sucked right back in. Today I ended up crying at the end scene of Sand and Water with Abby and Carter. And the weird thing is I don't really totally understand why. Think that it's a touch of nostalgia, remembering how much I used to love and identify the characters in the show, mixed with having a bit of tough time at the moment.

Damn you ER, you've got me again ;):p...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely forgotten about all the Carter rehab stuff and Abby and her ex...does this mean that
    Abby gets together with Carter first instead of Luka? I know there's some whole quandrangle thing with Abby, Carter, Luka and Susan, but thought that was some way off. All depends on when Susan comes back I suppose

As far as I can remember...
    She starts off with Luka, then gets with Carter after everything that happens with her mother and then they have to spend 2 weeks together in the ER at the end of season 8. Then she gets back with Luka when Carter starts going off to Africa. Think thats how it goes lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    I loved ER, back in the day. I watched all the seasons up to about half way through ten, then stopped. It was still a good entertaining show, but I just didn't care about them any more.

I was the same...I think I got to about season 10 too when I got bored with it and just stopped watching it. Embarrassing as it is to admit it, I only watched the very last series as I wanted to see what happened to everybody.

I really hope that Sky Atlantic do show all the seasons right through to the very end, as I would love to see the 3 or 4 seasons that I did miss to see what happened.
    Pretzel wrote: »
    Anyway, from being marginally interested it seems I have been sucked right back in. Today I ended up crying at the end scene of Sand and Water with Abby and Carter. And the weird thing is I don't really totally understand why. Think that it's a touch of nostalgia, remembering how much I used to love and identify the characters in the show, mixed with having a bit of tough time at the moment.

Damn you ER, you've got me again ;):p...

I am finding that a lot of the storylines on this are affecting me badly and making me cry as well...I think as I was quite young (in my early 20s) when it was first shown, I hadn't really experienced enough of life to know about all the heartaches. Now I'm a lot older and having had a few heartbreaks and setbacks over the years, you can associate more with some of the storylines and they do get to you.
    As far as I can remember...
    She starts off with Luka, then gets with Carter after everything that happens with her mother and then they have to spend 2 weeks together in the ER at the end of season 8. Then she gets back with Luka when Carter starts going off to Africa. Think thats how it goes lol.

That all sounds very hectic :) I honestly can't remember what happens and in what order, but all I do remember is there is a scene where
    Susan, Carter, Abby and Luka are in this place, possibly a school or hospital or some training place of some sort where they have go for training or something. I think by then Carter has been out with Abby and is currently going out with Susan, but is annoyed by Luka sniffing around Abby and it all ends up with some sort of fight between Carter and Luka and I think Susan dumps Carter as she realises that he still has feelings for Abby

At least I think that's what happens...as I've found with past memories of things that have happened in ER, the reality is very different from my memory of it... :D
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Re: Abby
    That all sounds very hectic :) I honestly can't remember what happens and in what order, but all I do remember is there is a scene where
    Susan, Carter, Abby and Luka are in this place, possibly a school or hospital or some training place of some sort where they have go for training or something. I think by then Carter has been out with Abby and is currently going out with Susan, but is annoyed by Luka sniffing around Abby and it all ends up with some sort of fight between Carter and Luka and I think Susan dumps Carter as she realises that he still has feelings for Abby

At least I think that's what happens...as I've found with past memories of things that have happened in ER, the reality is very different from my memory of it... :D
    The episode you refer to is Secrets and Lies in season 8. The group, along with Gallant, have been referred for some sort of diversity training after an incident where they messed around with a patients property. It's not really a 'proper' fight, they are fencing but by this stage Carter is pretty jealous of Luka (even though Luka and Abby aren't together and he himself is dating Susan) so he lets his aggression get the better of him.Watching the episode is like catching a play. We learn a lot about them all and it's funny and moving in turns. One of my favourites.

It's actually Luka who Abby dates first- (quite soon IIRC). However she and Carter develop a close friendship at the same time and two men are therefore wary of each other (for what seems like years to come TBH- which I always thought a shame since Luka never did have a friend in the show really but,,).

Later Luka and Abby break up and Susan Lewis returns. Carter briefly dates Susan but they acknowledge his feelings for Abby and decide that they are better off as friends.

After a couple of years of friendship Abby and Carter eventually get together and I understand (because I didn't watch by then) in later seasons there is Abby and Luka.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it about Romano?..He drives me crazy but I love him, he's a real panto baddie, I almost shout "HE'S BEHIND YOU" every time he appears!

Thought the boy in the wheelchair was superb last night, anyone know the actor's name?
    Why does Carter go to AA is he an alchoholic as well as a drug abuser I thought there was a NA organisation as well as AA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is it about Romano?..He drives me crazy but I love him, he's a real panto baddie, I almost shout "HE'S BEHIND YOU" every time he appears!

Thought the boy in the wheelchair was superb last night, anyone know the actor's name?
    Why does Carter go to AA is he an alchoholic as well as a drug abuser I thought there was a NA organisation as well as AA.

I suppose they are just support groups so you can go to either as long as you are following the steps. When he first comes back it is stipulated he must go to NA or AA meetings so it must mean these places deal with all types of substance addictions.

The boy in the Wheelchair is called Alex D. Linz I know his voice more than him because he was the voice of Arnold in Hey Arnold! But he also does some movie and TV work, Home Alone 3 and One Fine Day are things I remember him from.