Richard Dawkins the arch-atheist backs Michael Gove's free Bible plan

14567810»

Comments

• droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Actually droogie on second thoughts there is an organisation desperate to depict itself as celebrating everything. It is called the Church of England. For instance it admits women Bishops but allows you to ignore their authority if you are a committed sexist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9281336/Church-of-England-to-allow-women-bishops.html

I fear that what you see as mutual celebration I just see as hypocrisy. I have to call it as I see it.
    Do you need me to point out the logical flaws in that post - or shall we just leave it there?:(
    Please point them out.

- I see nowhere in your link where the C of E gives the appointment of women Bishops as an example of the celebration of the difference between religious belief. Neither have I given it as an example. Therefore this is your example of what constitutes a celebration of difference. Is it a good example ?.... frankly, no.

- You seem to be saying I would see this as a typical example. Would I? No. Not least because I was talking about differences between religions and between theists and non-theists. I will give you what I would regard as a good example. I would offer the 1994 John Main Seminar, where Dom Laurence Freeman invited the Dalai Lama to address specific gospel passages. There's a book if you are interested.

- Your final statement is that what I would see as celebration you would see as hypocrisy. There's only two ways you can arrive at that conclusion.

--Firstly, if it is my example. Since it is not, since it is your example, the correct conclusion would have to be that what you see as celebration in this context is what you see as hyopcrisy.

--The only other way you could arrive at the conclusion is to assume that I am some kind of apologist for the C of E. I hope and believe that's not what you intended. I think I've been clear recently that I regard the CofE as fairly reactionary in many of its current dealings. It would also be an indirect way of calling me a hypocrite personally - and that I would find somewhat uncalled for.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    - I see nowhere in your link where the C of E gives the appointment of women Bishops as an example of the celebration of the difference between religious belief. Neither have I given it as an example. Therefore this is your example of what constitutes a celebration of difference. Is it a good example ?.... frankly, no.

- You seem to be saying I would see this as a typical example. Would I? No. Not least because I was talking about differences between religions and between theists and non-theists. I will give you what I would regard as a good example. I would offer the 1994 John Main Seminar, where Dom Laurence Freeman invited the Dalai Lama to address specific gospel passages. There's a book if you are interested.

- Your final statement is that what I would see as celebration you would see as hypocrisy. There's only two ways you can arrive at that conclusion.

--Firstly, if it is my example. Since it is not, since it is your example, the correct conclusion would have to be that what you see as celebration in this context is what you see as hyopcrisy.

--The only other way you could arrive at the conclusion is to assume that I am some kind of apologist for the C of E. I hope and believe that's not what you intended. I think I've been clear recently that I regard the CofE as fairly reactionary in many of its current dealings. It would also be an indirect way of calling me a hypocrite personally - and that I would find somewhat uncalled for.

Sorry have to attend to other matters but I would never call you; dear friend; a hypocrite. Apologies if I have in any way implied it.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry have to attend to other matters but I would never call you; dear friend; a hypocrite. Apologies if I have in any way implied it.

I know it. I feel you, Stiffy, others - are family. I become over sensitive at times.... it's my problem.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    I know it. I feel you, Stiffy, others - are family. I become over sensitive at times.... it's my problem.

Being sensitive is an essential part of the human condition. Best to overplay it occasionally than not have it at all. :)

ETA 'Family' how true and humbling thank you.