Options

Should Eleven Have a Dramatic Emotional Regeneration?

Comments

• Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However it is it will be quite emotional for me Matt is my favourite new who doctor. It's going to be sad to see him go. I'm really going to miss him.
  • Options
    KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it is like Ten's regeneration. Given the high AI scores it is clear the audience loved it!
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KezM wrote: »
    I hope it is like Ten's regeneration. Given the high AI scores it is clear the audience loved it!
    Hope not. Hated Ten's regeneration. All that 'I don't want to go' was totally garbage. Hope Smith's is more dignified.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I loved Eccleston's regeneration scene, I loathed Tennant's.

That being said, I really hope they bring something slightly different to the table again with Smith. The rumour I've heard going around a few times is that...
    Eleven regenerates in Big Ben Clock Tower. I don't know how true or untrue this is, but if it's the case I find it a fitting hark back to The Eleventh Hour where he nearly crashes into it, and we know he'll be Capaldi by the time it strokes Twelve :D

No matter where it's set or how it's done, I would love for them to use this song for the sequence - I'd probably take out the lyrics and have it instead as a choir-driven instrumental.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPGuBtsrJjU
  • Options
    prof_traversprof_travers Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Add me to the list of Tennant regeneration haters - I'd describe it as maudlin.

The line "I don't want to go" has quite profound ramifications: All regenerations (including Tennants) have implied that the Doctor retains his essential personality and his memory of previous events and people in his life - he remembers his companions, Brigadeer Leftbridge-Stewart, and his enemies. 11 knows of, and feels for, River Song's ultimate fate even though it occurred during 10's incarnation. Yet all evidence (in humanity at least) points to a sense of self being tied to our memories - anyone who has seen Alzheimers sufferers can testify to this. So in what sense is 10 "going" when he regenerates ?

Back on topic; I'd love to see, and expect to see, an emotional regeneration but there are many different ways of being emotional and I'm confident that I will enjoy it more than Tennants !
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can see it being zig zag departure like Rory and Amy.
    We all know its going to happen but before the final event he builds up hope it just might not.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    No.

This is Dr Who, not Eastenders or Twilight.

That's an Idea, The doctor falls out wilth river in the Tardis. The Doctor Attacks River but Clara saves River by hitting the doctor over the head with Tardis Mallet. The doctor collapses on the floor.

River and Clara think he's dead but the doctor grabs rivers leg and says "You'll never get me out of the Tardis!". River then picks up the mallet and kills the doctor once and for all.

Then the Cliffhanger!!

:D

No Plagiarism at all their! :rolleyes: (Sarah Phelps may have helped a little :o)

Ken
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he should just choose to regenerate out of boredom, and copy his new appearance from someone he once met ;) - much like Romana did.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    That's an Idea, The doctor falls out wilth river in the Tardis. The Doctor Attacks River but Clara saves River by hitting the doctor over the head with Tardis Mallet. The doctor collapses on the floor.

River and Clara think he's dead but the doctor grabs rivers leg and says "You'll never get me out of the Tardis!". River then picks up the mallet and kills the doctor once and for all.

Then the Cliffhanger!!

Too late, Tracy Ann Oberman had her chance.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm ready for a sob on Christmas night. We lose one doctor but get a new one.11 should goout on a high. Defeating the eemy and look back on his achievements and companions. :D
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    I think he should just choose to regenerate out of boredom, and copy his new appearance from someone he once met ;) - much like Romana did.

"That Roman guy I rescued looked quite good, I wonder if his image is still in the databanks anywhere....!"
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    Sorry, which messed-up edit of Doctor Who have you been watching where heartstring tugging isn't on the menu?!

Last stories I watched were Web of Fear and Dæmons.
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

If he tries out several new looks (as Romana did), then this provides an opportunity for cameo appearances by people who have been in the series before, without any need for a convoluted plot to justify them. Noel Clarke could even be the first black Doctor (though only for a couple of minutes).

I must say I like this idea (thank you, platelet!), much as I loathe Romana's regeneration scene.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope it isn't. I don't care if the AI score dips, I just want Eleven to go out with dignity. (Which looks like is going to happen if the rumours are correct!)
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think he will too Clara will be with him. He needs to face his fears and past. Before moving on to his new life and identity as 12.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    If he tries out several new looks (as Romana did), then this provides an opportunity for cameo appearances by people who have been in the series before, without any need for a convoluted plot to justify them. Noel Clarke could even be the first black Doctor (though only for a couple of minutes)...

Brilliant! I'd forgotten about the "trying on" and love the ideas of cameos

I just think this way would a) fit better with a Christmas episode & b) counter the whining "I don't want to go" sob story we had with 10.

I suppose they could come up with a slightly better excuse than "I'm bored" - Maybe have the Doc's face become very publically known, say in a famous portrait, so he just chooses to change it to avoid stares

Alternatively he could decide he wants to be mortal, and deliberately burn up his final regeneration - again allowing him to choose the face he wants
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    As long as it's not like that dragged-out, self-indulgent baloney that was Ten's regeneration. The great Time Lord whining, 'I don't want to go', like a child being dragged to the dentist, was a low moment in the Doctor Who series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    The series finales started to go downhill once RTD had the Daleks swooping around buildings like they were starlings. When I watch them now, all I can picture is a couple of Daleks building a nest in a tree and collecting worms for some baby ones.

That and the fact that the world/universe/multi-verse is/will be destroyed for the umpteenth time. Though I think that at least this time that won't be the case. Maybe. Unless the Doctor needs to be saved so that the universe is saved or something. Bloody universe. Really is pathetic that it needs saving all the time. Grow up universe!

Funnily enough, when the The Pandorica Opens first aired, I was watching it with my sister. When the Doctor gave his speech trying to make the alliance stop, my sister said, "It's always the end of the universe with Doctor Who." And she's right. I liked the Series 7 finale as it focused more on The Doctor and his friends rather the entire planet/solar system/ universe/ every single moment in history/ time being destroyed.
  • Options
    scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    As long as it's not like that dragged-out, self-indulgent baloney that was Ten's regeneration. The great Time Lord whining, 'I don't want to go', like a child being dragged to the dentist, was a low moment in the Doctor Who series.

This just says it all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Hope not. Hated Ten's regeneration. All that 'I don't want to go' was totally garbage. Hope Smith's is more dignified.

Perhaps you did but most of the audience loved it. So who should they cater for - you or the majority of the audience? I'm guessing they will go for the majority of the audience who LOVED Ten' s regeneration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it isn't. I don't care if the AI score dips, I just want Eleven to go out with dignity. (Which looks like is going to happen if the rumours are correct!)

One person's dignity is another's self indulgence. I think Ten went with perfect dignity in a way that fitted his Doctor. And it would appear so did the majority of the audience did who LOVED it.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One person's dignity is another's self indulgence. I think Ten went with perfect dignity in a way that fitted his Doctor. And it would appear so did the majority of the audience did who LOVED it.

We don't know that...the AI ratings for a whole episode do not reflect reactions to any particular scene....for instance I loved the farewell sequences, the bit in the bookshop with Jessica Hynes is one of my top ten scenes, but being sung to his rest by a telepathic squid and the undignified whining at the very end was just excruciating.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Eccleston's regeneration scene, I loathed Tennant's.

That being said, I really hope they bring something slightly different to the table again with Smith. The rumour I've heard going around a few times is that...
    Eleven regenerates in Big Ben Clock Tower. I don't know how true or untrue this is, but if it's the case I find it a fitting hark back to The Eleventh Hour where he nearly crashes into it, and we know he'll be Capaldi by the time it strokes Twelve :D

A poster with good provenance on the Mondas forums has been suggesting that
    Smith's exit is even more explosive than Tennant's and rather than just trashing the Tardis he takes out a whole Dalek army
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    We don't know that...the AI ratings for a whole episode do not reflect reactions to any particular scene....for instance I loved the farewell sequences, the bit in the bookshop with Jessica Hynes is one of my top ten scenes, but the undignified whining was just excruciating.

Again to you not the majority. Considering it was the last scene I was I think we can make a reasonable assumption that if it was hated the AI would have reflected it.
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again to you not the majority. Considering it was the last scene I was I think we can make a reasonable assumption that if it was hated the AI would have reflected it.

I'm not sure that we can reasonably make that assumption. In any case, the last scene was not Tennant's tearful departure but the arrival of Matt Smith, and the prospect of a bright new era for the programme - something that might well give the AI ratings a bounce.