Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Nelson Van Alden in episode 2. :(
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    Chalky White may be illiterate but not to be messed with.

good spot, I didn't pick that up. I thought he said the wrong name of the book just to mess with the guy or to see if he was able to notice.
    There's a war coming, Nucky, Chalky and perhaps his new Sinn Fein / IRA pals against the Comadore, Jimmy and Eli (and others).
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    OldCold wrote: »
    Jimmy is the man!
    "May I call you Jimmy"
    No Nelson Van Alden in episode 2. :(
    :eek:
    srhDS wrote: »
    good spot, I didn't pick that up. I thought he said the wrong name of the book just to mess with the guy or to see if he was able to notice.
    There's a war coming, Nucky, Chalky and perhaps his new Sinn Fein / IRA pals against the Comadore, Jimmy and Eli (and others).
    And the men at the Comadore's....sounded Russian.

Just got round to watching Saturdays episode.....and the scene's in the Jail, were edge of the seat stuff, you just didn't know were is was going to go....but so pleased the way it did.

And Jimmy in the park....wow.

But Nucky....if he's going down, he's going down fighting...and they have to get past Margaret first.
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    "May I call you Jimmy"

:eek:

And the men at the Comadore's....sounded Russian.

Just got round to watching Saturdays episode.....and the scene's in the Jail, were edge of the seat stuff, you just didn't know were is was going to go....but so pleased the way it did.

And Jimmy in the park....wow.

But Nucky....if he's going down, he's going down fighting...and they have to get past Margaret first.

Behind every great man.........
    Love love love Chalky White. I think the character is so well cast and I think the interactions between him and Nucky are brilliant.
    The KKK stuff is very hard to watch, its difficult to believe that this was so common place and so accepted until relatively recently.
    I am lucky enough to only be watching The Wire now (sky+ it on FX) and so get to see Michael K.Williams on my tv screen lots these days.
    Sky Atlantic makes the subscription well worth it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit slow this week. It was mainly about moving the various pieces around - Chicago breaking ties with Nucky, Nucky publicly declaring war with Jimmy & the Commodore.

The Lucy/Van Alden scenes really killed it for me though. Those characters just seem so off to the side there's really little point to them. I think we are meant to think Van Alden is a bit of a bastard (though he comes across as uber-serious that he's a bit comical), but it's hard to feel sorry for Lucy whenever all she mainly did in S1 was lie about naked.
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slow? I guess I saw a different episode. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    Squiggle wrote: »
    Slow? I guess I saw a different episode. :rolleyes:

I had the latest episode on Sky + and watched it last night and thought it was pretty good.
    Margaret can be such a bi*ch. She was so cutting to the servant at the end of the episode. She really should be careful though, those you step on on the way up and all that.

I like Van Alden baby story line but find Pad de la Huerta so irritating. She (and hence Lucy) always seems stoned or drunk or both. I know she is meant to be the dumb gangsters moll type character anyway but she takes it too far.
    Jimmy's relationship with his mum is a little weird I think. All of a sudden he has her up on this pedestal and I don't know why?
    Nucky is going to get mean mean mean to those turning against him. Also can't wait for more Chalky White.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep on saying to the tv "go on Nucky, gun them all down Godfather style". That would solve his problems. His new Irish henchman would gladly do it.

Also, I wonder whether Jimmy's disfigured army buddy (I'm useless at remembering names) is going to turn against Jimmy and work for Nucky?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That episode was excellent. It advanced the main plotlines of the Nucky/Jimmy feud (showdown in Philly?) while giving some great character moments to Richard, Chalky & Gillian.

Van Alden is still way too serious to the point that it is comical - " [Bangs table] There's an obscenity written in the Water Closet. Heads will roll!".
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another excellent episode. I particularly enjoyed the contract in Gillian's relationship to the Commodore from the manipulative teasing seductress of the opening scene where she uses her wiles to get what she want's, to the almost disturbing scenes of abuse of an incapacitated , sick man ( now useless to her ) .

Margaret's attitude to her servants still intrigues and once again she shows she is no fool, syphoning away funds for the rainy day that is sure to come.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    That episode was excellent. It advanced the main plotlines of the Nucky/Jimmy feud (showdown in Philly?) while giving some great character moments to Richard, Chalky & Gillian.

Van Alden is still way too serious to the point that it is comical - " [Bangs table] There's an obscenity written in the Water Closet. Heads will roll!".

Van Alden has been wasted so far this series, a great character pushed into the background.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fine episode on Saturday....Chalky's Dinner, Angela's Painting of Richard...Gillian with the Commodore....and Maggie; what is she up too...All stunning performances....with the Plot's all at a Great Pace.

And then there's Nucky's new 'Jimmy'....the Irish Guy, who's handy with Explosives.......also, the Butcher...he scared me.

"I'll be in the WC"
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this show, all the way. Surprised its not in the cult section hey ho!

Mucky getting his groove back is what I wanna see!!
  • Options
    TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loving Boardwalk and have done since series 1. Great show!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am certainly getting my Buscemi fix right now...watching BE, also on S5 of The Sopranos boxset where he is featuring heavily
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So there I am, watching Machine Gun Preacher, last night.....and who should turn up in it....Yes Agent Nelson Van Alden, he was some Low Life Biker....he was very good....great film too.:)
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    So there I am, watching Machine Gun Preacher, last night.....and who should turn up in it....Yes Agent Nelson Van Alden, he was some Low Life Biker....he was very good....great film too.:)

He's going to be General Zod in the new Superman film as well, should be intense.
  • Options
    cragsbycragsby Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superb episode last night, one of the best episodes of a TV series I've seen, even without the likes of Agent Van Alden, Rothstein, Al Capone and Chalky it was still quality!

Very violent too, especially Jimmy and Richard's job at the end :eek:

Also loved Nucky and Eli's fight, a very bitter scene and then badass Margaret appeared with that gun, don't be messin' with her!

Had to chuckle at the senator's tongue-in-cheek golf references too (from his role as Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore) :D

This series is already better than the 1st which is saying something as I loved Series 1 too!

P.S that maid has a rather nice body too :o But Gillian takes the Best Body award for the previous episode, yum :p
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, last nights episode was the best of the entire series to date IMO.

Richard is an awesome character and would hate to think of him killing himself, I was worried for a minute but then the doggy came and saved the day.

Jeesh I was NOT expecting that graphic scene at the end the scalping yikes but that was a bit to far for my liking,

I like jimmy and Richards relationship, it's genuine friendship and the actors do an amazing job of portraying it.

I really hope they don't ruin it with Richard sleeping with jimmy,s wife. Which is something I could see happening...

I again have to say last nights episode blew me away the writing the acting WOW!!!
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cragsby wrote: »
    Had to chuckle at the senator's tongue-in-cheek golf references too (from his role as Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore) :D

Yep, I spotted that aswell :D . I must have seen Happy Gilmore at least five times.

Shooter McGavin
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And then there's Nucky's new 'Jimmy'....the Irish Guy, who's handy with Explosives.......also, the Butcher...he scared me.

Trivia:

The Jewish butcher is played by William Forsythe - Al Capone in the 1990s TV version of The Untouchables.

One of the old men, in the group with the man who was scalped, is played by Dominic Chianese - Uncle Junior in The Sopranos.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Trivia:

The Jewish butcher is played by William Forsythe - Al Capone in the 1990s TV version of The Untouchables.

One of the old men, in the group with the man who was scalped, is played by Dominic Chianese - Uncle Junior in The Sopranos.

And Michael Kenneth Williams , who plays Chalky White had a small part in this week's Sopranos on Atlantic (season three finale).
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Trivia:

...and for older viewers, the man who was scalped was played by Richard Easton, who played Brian Hammond in the 1970s BBC show The Brothers (and loads of other UK shows).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another brilliant episode where the story arc is allowed to evolve at it's own pace. I wonder how the town elders are going to respond to Jimmy now ? In fear ..or seek revenge ?
    The closing shot of Eli "digging a hole for himself" was electric and when the Emmy's are handed out Jack Huston has to be up there for his brilliant portrayal of Richard Harrow,...a character that we care for a great deal. The scenes in the woods were really moving.
    The light relief this week was provided by Nucky's reaction to the Attorney General and his prosecuter clearly overstaying their welcome and taking advantage of his hospitality. Can't wait for the next episode.
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that despite his hospitality Nucky will be screwed by the AG (or someone high up). Then Nucky is going to need Eli to get the names of those informing on him.
    That could be an interesting scene, there could be another fight...