BT Sports Channel

Comments

• Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Regarding ESPN HD, the old version was removed from satellite today I think, so the new versions on BT's transponder should be ready to kick in on Thursday.

So, do we know where ESPN is broadcasting from now? If its not moved to BT's Broadcast Centre by now it will have to at some point today or tomorrow so will there be a short break when that happens?
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    So, do we know where ESPN is broadcasting from now? If its not moved to BT's Broadcast Centre by now it will have to at some point today or tomorrow so will there be a short break when that happens?

No it will still be broadcast where it has always been until tomorrow, then tomorrow BT will take over broadcast. They don't officially take over until tomorrow;)
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,174
    Forum Member
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    BT do have 18 first picks, with 13 of them being for weekends and 5 for midweeks / bank holidays. They have 38 matches in total while Sky will show 116 (which is one more than in the previous contract).

As bottleofbest says, the PL TV rights thread goes into great depth about the matter of game quality, but is long and convoluted. In summary, although Sky have used quite a few first picks already, this doesn't automatically mean that BT will have LOTS of quality games later on. This is because of limitations on the number of times each team can be shown in each package - and Sky can manipulate their picks (due to the sheer number of matches they have) to force BT's hand so to speak.

BT have 28 games at Sat 12:45 with the option of moving to Sun 12:00 if one of the clubs involved is in Europa League action the previous Thursday. Their other 13 matches will be in midweeks and bank holidays.

cheers for the info (also to bottleofbest), the 12:45 slot is the one least convenient, as i'd usually be on the way to a game around then every other weekend (except this week, as we're starting on Friday)... usually manage to catch the last bit of the 12:45 games at the ground, although knowing my lot, they'll probably not be able to afford BT Sports too :p That midweek slot could be interesting though, particularly towards the back end of a season with rearranged games...

Thinking about it though, that 12:45 slot usually does have some of the top games, especially on weeks where there are Champions League games the following week... interesting stuff!

It'd be interesting to be a fly on the wall at the Sky Sports and BT offices, when they're trying to decide on their games for the top picks - especially when in their ideal world, they'd have Man Utd on every week live if they could :D
    Forum Member
    No it will still be broadcast where it has always been until tomorrow, then tomorrow BT will take over broadcast. They don't officially take over until tomorrow;)

Just curious as to when they actually handover as there would be a small break in transmission.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,174
    Forum Member
    Just curious as to when they actually handover as there would be a small break in transmission.

I think Jake Humphrey is going to reprise his legendary gameshow 'Beat The Pack' from the BT Sports car park, during the handover :)
    Forum Member

Honestly I would expect a transmission break between 12am till 6pm.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Honestly I would expect a transmission break between 12am till 6pm.

You could well be right there but from the Sky Guide it seems a like a seamless handover to the 'new' ESPN at midnight.

I guess we'll find out very soon!
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smcbeath wrote: »
    Having a look through my tv guide and it is nice to see live DTM and indy cars being shown on sunday:) I take it they only have highlights for nascar?

Live NASCAR (Sprint Cup) is on Premier Sports. BT/ESPN has the one hour highlights package
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not necessarily.

They way I would do it is to set up a new "channel" with different PIDs, which was broadcast from the new transmission area, and initially to feed that new channel with a line feed of the old channel from the old transmission area.

Then you switch the EPG to point to the new channel, and shut down the old one after a few hours.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    You could well be right there but from the Sky Guide it seems a like a seamless handover to the 'new' ESPN at midnight.

I guess we'll find out very soon!

I would expect the "handover" to be at 6am and fairly seamless. The "current" ESPN has "30 for 30" scheduled at 5am (previously this week it has been at 6am). Thereafter the programme does not appear in the ESPN schedules again. The "new" ESPN has MLB scheduled at 0715 and Baseball Tonight at 1015 tomorrow. These are both ESPNA shows currently.

ESPNA ends at 6am it would seem so I anticipate the "new" ESPN kicks in at 0600 based on the above.
    Forum Member
    I guess we will just have to wait and see the guys :)
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess we will just have to wait and see the guys :)
    I'm sure it will be seamless; channels change owners all the time and don't go off the air. BT formally acquires ESPN today and may well use both ESPN's facilities and its own whilst ESPN is integrated.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just signed up for BT Sports.

I am a SKY HD customer with multiroom and already have the SKY sports package. The guy at BT told me that I can only get BT Sport HD and ESPN on my main box, not on the box in the bedroom. He says that it's at the insistence of SKY that this is the case.

Bummer!
  • samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am a SKY HD customer with multiroom and already have the SKY sports package. The guy at BT told me that I can only get BT Sport HD and ESPN on my main box,not on the box in the bedroom.

This is True.
    He says that it's at the insistence of SKY that this is the case.

This is conjecture.
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    That midweek slot could be interesting though, particularly towards the back end of a season with rearranged games...

Games which were originally scheduled for a weekend but rearranged for a midweek will remain considered as weekend games, so Sky will still have first dibs on them.

Only rounds scheduled for midweek initially (this season there are three) are under BT's control.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member

I am a SKY HD customer with multiroom and already have the SKY sports package. The guy at BT told me that I can only get BT Sport HD and ESPN on my main box, not on the box in the bedroom. He says that it's at the insistence of SKY that this is the case.

Bummer!
    Oh well...guess I'm breaking the rules with it on my Multiroom viewing card, then... :p
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Surprised that isn't on MUTV exclusively as I think their pre-season tour has been.

Also means BT's commitment to womens tennis only extends as far as showing it as long as football doesn't get in the way.

which is way it should be really, tv ratings matter and football is more popular than tennis.

i hope they are like espn and push prem/europeon football as priority, things like rugby,tennis etc will have a place but should never be on instead of football.
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i hope they are like espn and push prem/europeon football as priority, things like rugby,tennis etc will have a place but should never be on instead of football.

.. because there isn't enough football already. Never mind the fans of those minority sports, we need Football!!!!!
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .. because there isn't enough football already. Never mind the fans of those minority sports, we need Football!!!!!

im speaking as a footy fan though(i love most sports though) and fans like me are in majority so makes sense to cater to us.

like i said minority sports have their place on schedule too.

but BT want to be another sky sports, not a eurosport.
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Oh well...guess I'm breaking the rules with it on my Multiroom viewing card, then... :p

You are.

I just rang BT about an offer on 2nd sub. There is no offer.

Full price, plus 2nd activation fee.

The second £12 I could (just about) stomach, but object to a second activation fee, so left it.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    You are.

I just rang BT about an offer on 2nd sub. There is no offer.

Full price, plus 2nd activation fee.

The second £12 I could (just about) stomach, but object to a second activation fee, so left it.
    Just phoned Sky to double check which of my cards is the secondary one, and it is indeed the one that BT Sport is linked to. All 4 BT Sport channels are working for me, so it seems that it's all gone through fine anyway.

Oh well, BT can stick it. The whole thing has been a farce so far, so I shan't be changing it if I'm told to do so.

I still maintain that BT Sport is, in technology terms, a step backwards from what we had with ESPN.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are.
    I don't think he is. It seems unlikely BT would care what box you take the subscription out on, if they even have a way of knowing.

I think the exchange on the phone was about getting subscriptions on 2+ boxes and "main box only" is just a way of saying "no multiroom".
  • RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Just phoned Sky to double check which of my cards is the secondary one, and it is indeed the one that BT Sport is linked to. All 4 BT Sport channels are working for me, so it seems that it's all gone through fine anyway.

Oh well, BT can stick it. The whole thing has been a farce so far, so I shan't be changing it if I'm told to do so.

I still maintain that BT Sport is, in technology terms, a step backwards from what we had with ESPN.

I do find "on demand" via the Sky box increasingly useful as well as just simply an appealing feature when comparing channels v channels and obviously BT Sport is well and truly out of that technological development/feature also as well as the red button interactive option for any overlapping live events.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    I don't think he is. It seems unlikely BT would care what box you take the subscription out on, if they even have a way of knowing.

I think the exchange on the phone was about getting subscriptions on 2+ boxes and "main box only" is just a way of saying "no multiroom".

Indeed. You choose which card you want to activate - main or secondary.

The only reason you can't have multiroom is because of BT's insistence on retailing the channel themselves rather than allowing Sky to do so. The sooner BT back down on that (hopefully the minute OFCOM tells them that if they want Sky to wholesale Sky Sports to them they have to do likewise with their own channels) the better.

I might then be more tempted to subscribe to BT Sport but not as now - 1 box only for an extra £5 pm over and above the ESPN sub.

Would be nice if BT gave an option to subscribe to ESPN only - for those of us mainly interested in US Sports. Would happily sub £5 pm for just that (even £7 or £8).
    Forum Member
    For anyone wanting to catch the last moments of ESPN America..... EPSN have tweeted in the last hour or so that the channel will cease at midnight tonight, the same time as ESPN Classic.
This discussion has been closed.