Was Basic Instinct Uncut On Itv Last Night

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
Forum Member
I watched Basic Instinct on ITV last night and it seemed to be uncut. I havent seen this film for years so there may have been some edits. But for a channel famous for hacking films to ribbons this was quite daring for them. All the swear words were there and the steamy scenes and even the famous leg crossing scene. So how come they can show one of the most controversial mainstream films ever without cuts and then show a family film cut to ribbons. Im talking more about 18 rated films though. The likes of Die Hard have the F word removed and The Dead Pool swops the word ar**holes with airheads and these films were shown late on a Saturday night as well. So have ITV relaxed their censorship rules. Last week they showed Commando which is extremely violent. Not sure if that was edited. Anyone else see Basic Instinct and know if their were any cuts made?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I watched Basic Instinct on ITV last night and it seemed to be uncut. I havent seen this film for years so there may have been some edits. But for a channel famous for hacking films to ribbons this was quite daring for them. All the swear words were there and the steamy scenes and even the famous leg crossing scene. So how come they can show one of the most controversial mainstream films ever without cuts and then show a family film cut to ribbons. Im talking more about 18 rated films though. The likes of Die Hard have the F word removed and The Dead Pool swops the word ar**holes with airheads and these films were shown late on a Saturday night as well. So have ITV relaxed their censorship rules. Last week they showed Commando which is extremely violent. Not sure if that was edited. Anyone else see Basic Instinct and know if their were any cuts made?
    Ofcom's rules are significantly tighter on mild pre-watershed content then they are on post-watershed content. Along as it's in a reasonable slot, and doesn't encourage criminal or dangerous activity, you can pretty much get away with anything*. (The BBC did once get in trouble for showing Pulp Fiction at 9.10PM though, they felt it was contextually justified as it's reputation proceeds it and it was part of a "great movies" season. Ofcom begged to differ and they got into a 14 month argument.)

*That was probably an exaggeration, please nobody come back and have a go at me...
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV are often a rule unto themselves, but they've been showing Basic Instinct uncut, at least periodically, since 1994 when it was first shown terrestrially.

Aside from the opening scenes in the bedroom, most of it's considered fairly tame now days.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I don't know whether it's still the case but TV companies used to buy US-censored versions of Hollywood films to air on UK TV. The Yanks are an odd bunch when it comes to censorship. Any kind of violence seems to be OK but any hint of sex or swearing and it's out with the scissors. I've never forgiven them for digitally enlarging Jessica Alba's bikini bottoms in Into the Blue because they were deemed too skimpy.:(

Someone mentioned Die Hard. This is possibly the greatest action thriller ever made, yet it gets cut to bits on TV. Despite being one of the most important lines in the film 'Yippee-ki-ay, motherfùcker' always gets censored, together with other key moments. These, collectively, ruin the experience. Broadcast it in full or don't bother. This is art. You'd be pissed off if you went to see the Venus de Milo and some sanctimonious twàt had stuck masking tape over the nipples. It's the same for films.
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever the 1969 version of True Grit is shown is shown on Channel 4, usually late afternoon, the famous scene where John Wayne says "fill your hand you son of a bitch" is always cut out! Leaving it in is not likely to inflict too much psychological trauma on the nation I can imagine.

I remember years ago Mary Whitehouse protesting about the violence on Tom and Jerry!
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Did you get to see more of MDs lush green jumper?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    It would have been hilarious if ITV added a pair of Y-fronts during the interrogation scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i started to watch this, and then recorded it :o

I dont think it was cut
  • frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    ITV are often a rule unto themselves, but they've been showing Basic Instinct uncut, at least periodically, since 1994 when it was first shown terrestrially.

Aside from the opening scenes in the bedroom, most of it's considered fairly tame now days.

The first time they ever showed it news at 10 was on before it and they briefly had a bit reporting that it would be shown without cutting out the leg crossing scene
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    At the end we see them in bed but
    as she was gonna reach the icepick it seemed to have fallen on the floor..I take it she was thinking it was under the matress but was on the floor..She must ve had long arms to reach it where it was not to struggle around, him mustve thought what the hell is she doing.:D.Anyway was she meant to have killed him ?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    That's what's clever. I dont think she was going to kill him THAT time (she hasnt) but who knows, maybe she would later? The ending basically says Catherine is the killer and that Nick shot the wrong woman. That's pretty dark.