Options

Freeview radio services and BBC Alba

lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BBC Alba takes over most of the radio channels on Freeview during the evening and a little earlier at the weekend.

I am just wondering why (according to the EPG) Radio 4 Extra ends on Freeview at 1400h today whilst all the other radio services continue until 1600h when BBC Alba starts?

It looks as if they do this every Sunday.

Comments

• Options
    rushedrushed Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    BBC Alba takes over most of the radio channels on Freeview during the evening and a little earlier at the weekend.

I am just wondering why (according to the EPG) Radio 4 Extra ends on Freeview at 1400h today whilst all the other radio services continue until 1600h when BBC Alba starts?

The slow and painful transition to DVB-T2 broadcasts can't come soon enough! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

I appreciate that this can be an issue for those who wish to access the BBC's digital radio stations. I'd suggest other alternatives like DAB, Radio player http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/, Wifi radios, the Tunein android app and Freesat which has a range of BBC radio stations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate that this can be an issue for those who wish to access the BBC's digital radio stations. I'd suggest other alternatives like DAB, Radio player http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/, Wifi radios, the Tunein android app and Freesat which has a range of BBC radio stations.

I know there are alternatives but I was wondering why only BBC Radio 4 Extra is dropped when the all the other radio services are on Freeview as normal until 1600h.

I rarely bother listening to the radio on Freeview but I had expected ot be out so was going to leave the PVR recording something but I was home earlier than expected so listened on DAB. Also rarely bother with listening online and not worth getting Freesat.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I know there are alternatives but I was wondering why only BBC Radio 4 Extra is dropped when the all the other radio services are on Freeview as normal until 1600h.

I rarely bother listening to the radio on Freeview but I had expected ot be out so was going to leave the PVR recording something but I was home earlier than expected so listened on DAB. Also rarely bother with listening online and not worth getting Freesat.

It's worth checking the 4extra schedules during a whole 24hr period because there will probably be more than one opportunity to record the stuff that you're interested in - there certainly is for the scifi and horror programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth checking the 4extra schedules during a whole 24hr period because there will probably be more than one opportunity to record the stuff that you're interested in - there certainly is for the scifi and horror programmes.

I know programmes are repeated but I asked in this Freeview forum whether anyone was aware of why Radio 4 Extra is not carried on Freeview after 1400h on a Sunday when BBC Alba does not start until 1600h and at which point most of the other radio services are dropped from Freeview.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Just a note that BBC Alba is now carrying the sound of Radio nan Gaidheal during the day, along with a new MHEG which switches between Gaelic and Englsh.

The stations are sharing the same audio stream, the PCR is 2402.

The stations which are off during BBC Alba hours are Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 3, World Service and Radio nan Gaidheal.
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post deleted. Discussion was older than I realized!