Options

Whatever has Jim Davidson been up to?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
Forum Member
✭✭
According to today's i-paper:
Last week the comic had his show Sinderella pulled by Glasgow's Pavilion Theatre when he apparently left at the interval to go to the pub, where he bad-mouthed the theatre staff and audience, before returning to the stage to rant further.
Glasgow Evening Times:

The Pavilion manager Iain Gordon said: " I had no choice but to close the show because Jim Davidson's behaviour was entirely unacceptable.

"He was abusive to a member of my staff to whom I have a duty of care and this was unacceptable.

"I am really disappointed in Jim because over the years I have given him every opportunity ."

Closed last night for legal reasons Mr Gordon said he wouldn't comment further, however, a Pavilion insider revealed the extent of Mr Davidson's behaviour.

He said: "Jim Davidson broke the golden rule, during the half time he left the theatre and went to the Atholl Pub in Renfield Street still wearing his Sinderella costume. bought drink and then proceeded to criticise the Pavilion, the staff and the Sinderella show.

"He was also heard to be attacking the Glasgow audiences, which made no sense given the support he's had over the year.

"Jim then went back to the theatre where he had a go at one of the female staff and then during the show he berated the Pavilion manager from the stage."

Jim Davidson said: "Yes I did go to the pub but I wasn't abusive to anybody.

"What this is about is the Pavilion boss being in control. What it's also about I think, is the box office wasn't great .

"I'm pretty sure the who wouldn't have been cancelled if the show was full every night.

Comments

• Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reverting to type
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When did this happen I was in a pub across the road 12 days ago and there were posters advertising this so I assume in the last few days
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    more HERE
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    more HERE
    Earlier this year, Davidson pulled a gig at the Regal Theatre in Evesham with an hour's notice after he found the stage too high.

:confused: Too high for what? Sounds loopy. Does his pantomime involve him leaping nimbly on and off the stage?
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Invading Poland?
  • Options
    AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    So frustrating that the Nolan woman played right into his hands and made him look like a victim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :confused: Too high for what? Sounds loopy. Does his pantomime involve him leaping nimbly on and off the stage?

Yeah frustrating they didnt say why !
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    According to today's i-paper:
    I remember seeing a documentary about the Glasgow Empire, Glasgow audiences are meant to be challenging:

"A young Des O'Connor even pretended to faint rather than continue being barracked by the notoriously aggressive crowd."

[I think I might start using the phrase “Quoth the Raven” [it's from "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe: Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"*]]

http://www.theartsdesk.com/tv/story-variety-bbc-four :D

"SHOWBIZ veteran Johnny Beattie maintains that if a Glasgow audience like you, they will let you live."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/how-a-generation-of-stars-bombed-in-glasgows-1001410 :D

*http://www.gradesaver.com/poes-poetry/study-guide/summary-the-raven
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah frustrating they didnt say why !
    Too high...

To pass a drug test? :kitty:

Too high for comedic porpoises, apparently:
    “[A]pproximately four minutes” after arriving at the venue (according to the Regal manager), Davidson left and then cancelled the gig. The reason? The stage was too high. “ I couldn’t stand on it,” Davidson – who claims to suffer from vertigo “a bit” – later tweeted. “Simple as that. Sorry.”

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/feb/03/jim-davidson-refuses-to-perform-on-high-stage

[Comic Ross Noble, the secret love child of the Hairy Bikers, owns a FV433 Abbot SPG*, which is often mistake for a Tank, is exempt from the London congestion charge. An Abbot was used to deliver Guido Fawkes' petition, to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson, to Broadcasting House.]

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV433_Abbot_SPG
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avidian wrote: »
    Too high...

To pass a drug test? :kitty:

Too high for comedic porpoises, apparently:

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2015/feb/03/jim-davidson-refuses-to-perform-on-high-stage

[Comic Ross Noble, the secret love child of the Hairy Bikers, owns a FV433 Abbot SPG*, which is often mistake for a Tank, is exempt from the London congestion charge. An Abbot was used to deliver Guido Fawkes' petition, to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson, to Broadcasting House.]

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV433_Abbot_SPG

Vertigo:confused: Ah that explains it then or maybe not !
  • Options
    PollyusaPollyusa Posts: 7,062
    Forum Member
    Sounds dire. From a review of the show..
    The twist in the story is that Sinderella can't go to the ball because, get this, she's on her period! This led on to what was one of the most unrelentingly awful scenes of the entire show, with Davidson adopting a faux-Asian accent as he mimicked being a shopkeeper who wouldn't sell her any tampons.

[ ... ]

Davidson didn't shy away from making a gag about his Operation Yewtree arrest either, telling two of his onstage companions that they had "better fill in a consent form, 'cause I don't wanna get nicked again".
  • Options
    PollyusaPollyusa Posts: 7,062
    Forum Member
    AA2009 wrote: »
    So frustrating that the Nolan woman played right into his hands and made him look like a victim.

No doubt Linda could have played a better game, but she was partly a victim of the edit. She was edited to be the haridan, nag, crone, bossy old woman for BBUK that year.

Example, the tea towels;

Linda: "You again?"
    Jim: "Sorry darling, I've been doing the washing up. What do you expect me to do, it was the only thing we had."
    Linda: "Is there no more?"
    Jim: "One more"
    Linda: "Oh bless you. I'll see if there's any in that bathroom"

The BB producers showed the edited version of this exchange as a clip at the start of the show, on bots several times, and as a clip in several highlight shows. The edited version leaves out this part

Somehow Linda was a shrew and nag and Jim is the put upon man trying to help.

The viewers fall for it every year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vertigo:confused: Ah that explains it then or maybe not !
    I'm confused as well...I can only assume he's saying the that the height of the stage is making it difficult for interacting with an audience...to appreciate the feminist jazz hands of consensus...to dodge the deftly thrown shoes of opprobrium :D

I surmise that the formally hard drinking Jim Davidson is finding it difficult to cope with drinking less...Fun [Jimmy] might not be so funny without the drink...and audience tastes change, some people may not find him (or the likes of Lenny Henry) as funny as they did back in the day, if indeed they ever did.
  • Options
    Angie_PlastyAngie_Plasty Posts: 6,333
    Forum Member
    Davidson and Clarkson held to account for their actions in the same week.

Things are looking up!
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pollyusa wrote: »
    No doubt Linda could have played a better game, but she was partly a victim of the edit. She was edited to be the haridan, nag, crone, bossy old woman for BBUK that year.

Example, the tea towels;

Linda: "You again?"
    Jim: "Sorry darling, I've been doing the washing up. What do you expect me to do, it was the only thing we had."

The BB producers showed the edited version of this exchange as a clip at the start of the show, on bots several times, and as a clip in several highlight shows. The edited version leaves out this part

Somehow Linda was a shrew and nag and Jim is the put upon man trying to help.

The viewers fall for it every year.

Where was the un- (or less-) edited version shown?

At first, on C5, the onine clips seemed more reliable, as a rule, but then they started being questionable too.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a recovering alcoholic who found God who still lets him drink a lot, but in a different way. In other words he's in denial. I suspect that may have a lot to do with his behaviour and it certainly has in the past. . There's only one way he can go while he's hitting the bottle hard and it's not up.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/452218/Comic-Jim-Davidson-on-CBB-I-beat-my-alcohol-and-cocaine-hell-after-finding-God