Doctor Who 2015 DVD/Blu-Ray Release Schedule

Comments

• The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are clearly worried about sales. The episode has had a lukewarm response from those that have seen it (I haven't yet).

But all they have to do is slam 2 episodes on the disc, the recorded extras and sell it for a fiver - similar to the Sontaran Experiment.

That will mean we can finish the DVD range and not rely on a new format for just one episode!
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    They are clearly worried about sales. The episode has had a lukewarm response from those that have seen it (I haven't yet).

But all they have to do is slam 2 episodes on the disc, the recorded extras and sell it for a fiver - similar to the Sontaran Experiment.

That will mean we can finish the DVD range and not rely on a new format for just one episode!

I would prefer either reconstructions or animations in order to fill the gaps of the missing episodes (a reconstruction should be simple), but I would take anything over nothing at all.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The trouble is you only view it as 25 mins of footage, not as part of the story as a whole. The Underwater Menace is actually a very good story, a little overacted in parts with shoddy costumes in others, but as a whole it works well. I have seen both the existing episodes with the Loose Cannon recon of the other two and really enjoyed it, far more than The Macra Terror.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today, I procured my Doctor Who for the month. They were The Twin Dilemma and Remembrance of the Daleks. Remembrance of the Daleks finishes up McCoy for me. :):):)

I'll let y'all know what I think of them once I have watched them. I have been led to believe on this forum that The Twin Dilemma was the worst thing since the Black Plague, but we will see. :)
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The twin dilemma is worse than time and the rani, paradise towers, the happiness patrol, the space pirates, the rings of akatan, doctor widow wardrobe put together. Remembrance quite good though.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Today, I procured my Doctor Who for the month. They were The Twin Dilemma and Remembrance of the Daleks. Remembrance of the Daleks finishes up McCoy for me. :):):)

I'll let y'all know what I think of them once I have watched them. I have been led to believe on this forum that The Twin Dilemma was the worst thing since the Black Plague, but we will see. :)

I'd rather have the Plague than ever watch The Twin Dilemma again...

It's not so common to get a brand new opinion on some of these old stories, and I'm always interested to read people's views on them. Let us know what you think of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night the horror channel jumped straight from caves of androzani to attack of the Cybermen. Says it all really.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why release only two episodes? :( It will be silly to do that. Young people, in their teens and twenties, who are just getting into 'Classic Who' on DVD, would be rather miffed and confused if they only got part of a story.

Either put the existing episodes on DVD with animated versions of the others, or not at all.

Starting to think that TUM will never be out on DVD at all! :(
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

While it's terrible, Time and The Rani was worse...

Come to think of it, appalling though it was, I'd still much rather it than most McCoy.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the series 1-7 blu-ray box set yesterday for my 30th birthday, and want to add my 2 pence worth and say that the picture quality is amazing.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was given a DVD copy the week it was announced as having been found (friends in low places) and it is rather terrible...
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    I was given a DVD copy the week it was announced as having been found (friends in low places) and it is rather terrible...

I rather enjoyed it. Watch it with a view to it being a piss take of a B-movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member

I liked The Twin Dilemma, fwiw. Obviously I'd heard loads of "arrrgh, grrrrr, bweeeuurggh it's awful" before watching it, but I put that to one side, stuck the DVD in and watched it with an open mind and enjoyed it!

That said, I am able to watch Doctor Who like a child: I'm able to suspend my disbelief, get sucked into the story, the characters, the worlds, etc. Only a few stories haven't worked for me, one of which is revered by collective fandom — Warriors' Gate. (But given its existential and narratively oblique story telling that's to be expected).

I think a lot of so-called collective fan opinion is actually just collective mass hysteria. Solidified opinions made (mostly) during the show's initial run are now a black hole in fandom, sucking in nu-who fans exploring classic series. People skip these stories, or watch them with with a pre-made opinion, making the black hole grow and the cycle continue...

A shame. I'm able to enjoy Doctor Who for being Doctor Who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could solve the underwater menace ep 2 problem by releasing an updated lost in time set. Take out the likes of web of fear 1, enemy of the world 3 and the moonbase 2 and 4 which are now redundant to the set, add the audios of selected missing episodes and the extras already produced for the cancelled underwater release.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked The Twin Dilemma, fwiw. Obviously I'd heard loads of "arrrgh, grrrrr, bweeeuurggh it's awful" before watching it, but I put that to one side, stuck the DVD in and watched it with an open mind and enjoyed it!

That said, I am able to watch Doctor Who like a child: I'm able to suspend my disbelief, get sucked into the story, the characters, the worlds, etc. Only a few stories haven't worked for me, one of which is revered by collective fandom — Warriors' Gate. (But given its existential and narratively oblique story telling that's to be expected).

I think a lot of so-called collective fan opinion is actually just collective mass hysteria. Solidified opinions made (mostly) during the show's initial run are now a black hole in fandom, sucking in nu-who fans exploring classic series. People skip these stories, or watch them with with a pre-made opinion, making the black hole grow and the cycle continue...

Interesting. Think there's always been a slight element of that. I remember received 'wisdom' when I first got involved with fandom in the 80's was that The Gunfighters was the nadir of Sixties Who. Got to watch a slightly, ahem, dodgy version of it in the Mid Eighties and thoroughly enjoyed it! Still do. Similarly, the consensus seemed to be around then that the Hinchcliffe era was a high point (fair enough, I think!) and the Williams era was pretty much a bit of a travesty. Then I got to see some good quality Key to Time stories thanks to an Australian contact....and pretty much loved them. Still hugely fond of most of Season 16.

Of course this was pre tinternet and it was mostly second hand opinions via fanzines, DWM, etc! I know, it's like another millennium.

FWIW, I think The Twin Dilemma is cheap, garish, indifferently directed and very silly, with some pretty awful performances that balance out the good (Baker, McNally, Denham...)

I quite like it. :blush:
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night the horror channel jumped straight from caves of androzani to attack of the Cybermen. Says it all really.
    Horror don't have all the rights to Classic Who. Twin Dilliema wasnt in the batch of stories shown thankfully.
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could solve the underwater menace ep 2 problem by releasing an updated lost in time set. Take out the likes of web of fear 1, enemy of the world 3 and the moonbase 2 and 4 which are now redundant to the set, add the audios of selected missing episodes and the extras already produced for the cancelled underwater release.

Sorry, but that's a silly idea. Why would we want to pay a high price for episodes we've already got just to get a single episode we haven't?
  • Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but that's a silly idea. Why would we want to pay a high price for episodes we've already got just to get a single episode we haven't?

*cough* The Aztecs *cough*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *cough* The Aztecs *cough*

Indeed, and Spearhead From Space >:(
  • YellowFishYellowFish Posts: 4,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They (that we know off anyway) have got no releases apart from

Series 9 (December time)
    The Underwater Menace (god knows when)

I honestly think they will just re-release things, but not Classic Era, NuWho. They will keep making boxsets of the New Era where's it's more Monster collections or Doctor collections.

What they SHOULD do is release Classic Doctors box sets, like a box set with all of the 4th doctors episode, and for the 1st and 2nd doctors (with most episodes being missing) they should put it together.

Honestly we all say this but they have never done this, instead they are re-realising things we already have :3
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    William65 wrote: »
    What they SHOULD do is release Classic Doctors box sets, like a box set with all of the 4th doctors episode, and for the 1st and 2nd doctors (with most episodes being missing) they should put it together.

I am really hoping that one day, a River Song box set is released, putting together every DW episode that Alex Kingston has appeared in.

My ideal set would be like this:

Disc 1

1. Silence in the Library
    2. Forest of the Dead
    3. The Time of Angels
    4. Flesh and Stone

Extras - Official BBC Trailers for each episode

Disc 2

1. The Pandorica Opens
    2. The Big Bang
    3. The Impossible Astronaut
    4. Day of the Moon

Disc 3

1. A Good Man Goes to War
    2. Lets Kill Hitler
    3. The Wedding of River Song
    4. The Name of the Doctor

Disc 4

Doctor Who Confidential Cut-Downs for each episode, up to The Wedding of River Song.

That would make the ideal RS set. I would definitely buy it if such a set was created. :D

If the BBC do decide to do this, then I would think that when it hits the shelves in places like WH Smith and HMV, it won't be all that expensive. I should imagine it will be around the £25 mark. Something like that. A bit more in price than a single 'Who' DVD release, but not as much as a complete Series release.

Any more than that, then I'd be saying too much!
    http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DoctorWhoSpoilers.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Od6Gx5gruI
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that this is a great idea. It would be good for people who are just starting to purchase the classic material and it would sell to many people (like myself) who simply want The Underwater Menace. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    William65 wrote: »
    They (that we know off anyway) have got no releases apart from

Series 9 (December time)
    The Underwater Menace (god knows when)

I am still hoping for Blu-Ray releases of Series 1-4. :):):)
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I watched Twin Dilemma when it was on TV back in 1984 and it was as bad as the black plague. I had not seen it again until I saw the DVD selling for 50p at a car boot sale. The seller even smirked "enjoy" :D

I have to say, maybe because of the negativity I enjoyed it more second time around and it was no worse than some other Colin Baker stories (Mark of Rani, Timelash spring to mind) and better than most McCoy.

Will I watch it again? Probably not but I'm glad I did give it a second chance.

Maybe I'll sell it for £1 and make a profit on it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that this is a great idea. It would be good for people who are just starting to purchase the classic material and it would sell to many people (like myself) who simply want The Underwater Menace. :)

You must be very rich Theophile if you don't mind paying again for things you've already got just to get a single episode!