Looks pretty scary..
It's released next weekend in the states,
I'm not sure when its out here though

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure it will be scary (looks like every other generic handheld footage film) but looks an interesting concept and I am looking forward to watching it...
  • Options
    DensinoDensino Posts: 3,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure it will be scary (looks like every other generic handheld footage film) but looks an interesting concept and I am looking forward to watching it...
    I actually read somewhere that it wasn't a full Found Footage film... but that is was integrated into the story
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They actually had quite an extensive trailer and promoted it quite heavily at my local Vue when I visited last week.

It surprised me, as I'd heard of it but assumed it was going to be a low-key straight-to-dvd affair.

Looks interesting, but I'd have to see some good reviews before I show them the money ....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Watched the trailer for this last night, just looked like another in the long line of shaky cam horrors that overly relies on "jump" moments. The setting is interesting, but it seems like there's going to be massive gaps in logic (one scene in the trailer supposedly has them inside the reactor room, and given the amount of radiation still contained in there it would result in death quite quickly...yet they're seemingly being shown around it by a tour guide...:confused::eek:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    They actually had quite an extensive trailer and promoted it quite heavily at my local Vue when I visited last week.

It surprised me, as I'd heard of it but assumed it was going to be a low-key straight-to-dvd affair.

Looks interesting, but I'd have to see some good reviews before I show them the money ....
    To be honest, Its not the type of film that will get good reviews on Rotten tomatoes, metacritic etc.

I will see it if sites like Shocktillyoudrop etc give it good reviews
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only reason I want to see it is because it's in pripryat, film looks pants otherwise
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Densino wrote: »
    I will see it if sites like Shocktillyoudrop etc give it good reviews

Well as predicted it's taking a bit of a hammering on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, but it seems that even Shocktillyoudrop weren't that impressed with it, giving it 6/10 and saying:
    "Chernobyl Diaries is by no means a bad film - it's competently made, but mediocre in comparison to movies of this ilk that have come before it"

They also say that it's a bit of a rip off of 'The Hills Have Eyes' (which i could have told you just by looking at the trailer...).

Bloody Disgusting seemed to like it though, giving it 3/5:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3145005/bd-review-chernobyl-diaries-is-a-fun-take-on-familiar-tropes/

Got to admit, the above BD review kind of makes me want to see it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Well as predicted it's taking a bit of a hammering on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, but it seems that even Shocktillyoudrop weren't that impressed with it, giving it 6/10 and saying:

They also say that it's a bit of a rip off of 'The Hills Have Eyes' (which i could have told you just by looking at the trailer...).

Bloody Disgusting seemed to like it though, giving it 3/5:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3145005/bd-review-chernobyl-diaries-is-a-fun-take-on-familiar-tropes/

Got to admit, the above BD review kind of makes me want to see it.
    Ya I had seen them....Its getting some positive reviews at least... I'll probably still see it just because even though it has been done countless times, I've ever seen a horror film set in Chernobyl.

and the reviews are at least better then some other recent horror flix like The Devil Inside and Apollo 18
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finally seen it.

DON'T.......WASTE.......YOUR.......TIME
  • Options
    TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to see this last night and I really enjoyed it! It was fast paced and entertaining. The characters did stupid things but that's to be expected - when you go to see a film like this, you know what you're getting.

Two things that would've made this film even better.
    When Yuri takes the group to see the abandoned apartment, I wanted him to say it was his, that it was where he lived as a boy
    and at the end,
    when Paul was shot, it would've made more sense for Amanda to be shot too and in the final scene we just see the soldiers burying the bodies in a lead-lined grave.
    oh and did anyone think
    the mutants were supposed to previous 'extreme tourists' to Pripyat/ChernobyL or were they supposed to be contaminated locals?
    8.5/10
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the trailer for this afew weeks ago, looks quite good but I'm fascinated by abandoned places so I may end up watching simply because of where it's based (although I don't think they did film on real location...?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Quite enjoyed it...if you like Grave Encounters you'll love it...very atmospheric.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I saw the trailer for this afew weeks ago, looks quite good but I'm fascinated by abandoned places.....

You should check out the book “Left London”.

This got annihilated in the review in Time Out and Nigel Floyd, who reviewed it, is a genre afficianado (although having said that he did select the abysmal The Craft for a festival of new horror films back in the day at the NFT AND defended his decision for picking it so what does he know!! :D )
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the trailer for this afew weeks ago, looks quite good but I'm fascinated by abandoned places so I may end up watching simply because of where it's based (although I don't think they did film on real location...?)

Same here! Just not too keen on these "camcorder footage" flms, never enjoyed a single one I've seen.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris1978 wrote: »
    Same here! Just not too keen on these "camcorder footage" flms, never enjoyed a single one I've seen.

How could you not like Cloverfield?!? A minor masterpiece IMO.
  • Options
    Cade FosterCade Foster Posts: 323
    Forum Member

Chernobyl Diaries is not a camcorder type footage film at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member

Have you seen [REC] ?
  • Options
    TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, they didn't film in the actual location (according to IMDb it was Serbia & Hungary) but they re-created the look of Pripyat almost exactly.

I recommend you watch the episode of 'Destination Truth' (Season 3, Ep.4) called "Ghosts of Chernobyl" where Josh Gates and his intrepid band of investigators really do go to Pripyat to investigate rumours of strange phenomena. It's not running in the UK at the moment but usually gets shown on Syfy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it yesterday. Not as good as I thought it would be
    Started great, but at the end, they were just running everywhere and you could hardly see anything.
    The ending left a lot of questions, but I wouldn't be bothered if they made a sequel.

Not a good film and glad we did the Orange Wednesday 241
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw this the other day and was actually pleasantly surprised. I don't know whether my low expectations helped, but i quite enjoyed it. It doesn't break new ground or anything and it really is just 'The Hills Have Eyes' in Chernobyl, but it was entertaining enough. I'd probably say 7/10 from me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Looks real scary indeed! Looking forward to it though.
  • Options
    potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Going to see this tonight... I hope it is good
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Was decent enough but didn't really take full of advantage of the interesting premise.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope to see it this Saturday.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this film last night. It's very good, it is scary & full of suspense & keeps you 'on the edge of your seat'.