Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We weren't actually. When I was at school in the 70's, it was very much so a time of extremism in Ireland, and this was exemplified by the staunchly pro-Republicanism taught in the Christian Brothers schools, especially pertaining to history. It's quite possible, maybe even probable, that references to orange being in the flag pre-1916 rather than the gold we were told, was just revisionism.

Considering that the four province flags are all that is on 'record' and that there is no 'recorded flying' of any Tricolour as a united 'nation of Ireland', I would suggest to you that you are talking complete and utter nonsense?

Celtic/Brother Walfrid/ Green, white and whatever? Is there a need for it in 21stC Scotland without causing provocation or selling tickets?

Too tired to debate it anymore.

You're all bigots waiting to blame each other at every turn. You deserve the society you've created :(
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uriah wrote: »
    Considering that the four province flags are all that is on 'record' and that there is no 'recorded flying' of any Tricolour as a united 'nation of Ireland', I would suggest to you that you are talking complete and utter nonsense?

Celtic/Brother Walfrid/ Green, white and whatever? Is there a need for it in 21stC Scotland without causing provocation or selling tickets?

You're all bigots waiting to blame each other at every turn. You deserve the society you've created :(

But you are the only one with a problem - I've not heard anyone on here complain about Celtic having a trim on the black away shirt to celebrate the 125 years until tonight.
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member

Really? Do you think so? Think I don't know the history of my own country? I never claimed that the Tricolour flew as a united nation of Ireland. If you recollect, I said it was considered the flag of Independence and obviously didn't fly because Ireland was ruled by Britain. All I was trying to do was inform you that gold was considered part of the unofficial Irish flag pre independence but that that is considered wrong today. What is your problem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see it's started, The Scottish Sun claiming Neil Lennon could be forced to sell a top player to make up for Rangers not being in the SPL.

This despite Neil Lennon saying there is no change to his plans in the transfer market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Do you think so? Think I don't know the history of my own country? I never claimed that the Tricolour flew as a united nation of Ireland. If you recollect, I said it was considered the flag of Independence and obviously didn't fly because Ireland was ruled by Britain. All I was trying to do was inform you that gold was considered part of the unofficial Irish flag pre independence but that that is considered wrong today. God, what is your problem?

Actually, I don't have a problem whatsoever. You stated that the flag of Ireland 'pre-independence' was 'Green, white and gold'. Never once did you state that it was 'unofficially' the Irish flag. You stated it as fact, if memory serves me. Subsequently, Bhoy07 used it as a reference for the link with Brother Walfrid.

I say to you, sir, and bhoy07 that you do not know enough about your history to make 'wild' statements about it. Therefore, at the time of Brother Walfrid, whom I have now looked up, there was no official flag of Ireland whatsoever.

The colours on Celtic's away kit are 'Green, white and orange'. A deliberate attempt to be 'provocative' has been successful.

Complaints about any newco Rangers wearing orange and making money is as petty an action as theirs.

Again, I reiterate - keep your parochial problems and never, ever try and infest any other country with the bile you produce to save money.

Celtic and integrity - aye, right :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I don't have a problem whatsoever. You stated that the flag of Ireland 'pre-independence' was 'Green, white and gold'. Never once did you state that it was 'unofficially' the Irish flag. You stated it as fact, if memory serves me. Subsequently, Bhoy07 used it as a reference for the link with Brother Walfrid.

I say to you, sir, and bhoy07 that you do not know enough about your history to make 'wild' statements about it. Therefore, at the time of Brother Walfrid, whom I have now looked up, there was no official flag of Ireland whatsoever.

The colours on Celtic's away kit are 'Green, white and orange'. A deliberate attempt to be 'provocative' has been successful.

Complaints about any newco Rangers wearing orange and making money is as petty an action as theirs.

Again, I reiterate - keep your parochial problems and never, ever try and infest any other country with the bile you produce to save money.

Actually the colours on Celtic's away kit is Black with grey hoops and a green, white and gold sleeve trim.

You are the only one who has a problem with that.
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member

Never once, eh? This is exactly what I said in post 3712:

'Well, it wasn't a recognised flag because the country was ruled by Britain, but it was considered the flag of independence. The Irish government today claims that the flag never had gold in it and that it is mistakenly thought to have included gold because on old flags orange faded to a gold colour. But that is not what we were taught at school. We were taught that the flag used to be gold but was changed to orange sometime at the end of the 19th century.'

See that bit there where I say it wasn't a recognised flag because the country was ruled by Britain? I wasn't actually endorsing bhoy07's posts about green, white and gold. I was just pointing out that in the past, gold was considered (even if rejected today) a part of the Irish flag at one time. I suppose it's my own fault really for trying to be informative. I'm not even a Celtic fan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never once, eh? This is exactly what I said in post 3712:

'Well, it wasn't a recognised flag because the country was ruled by Britain, but it was considered the flag of independence. The Irish government today claims that the flag never had gold in it and that it is mistakenly thought to have included gold because on old flags orange faded to a gold colour. But that is not what we were taught at school. We were taught that the flag used to be gold but was changed to orange sometime at the end of the 19th century.'

See that bit there where I say it wasn't a recognised flag because the country was ruled by Britain? I wasn't actually endorsing bhoy07's posts about green, white and gold. I was just pointing out that in the past, gold was considered (even if rejected today) a part of the Irish flag at one time. I suppose it's my own fault really for trying to be informative. I'm not even a Celtic fan.

Neither am I :D

I'm sure the detailed synopsis you've given 'from a true Irish, non Celtic-supporting viewpoint will end any doubt that the new Celtic strip is, indeed, green, white and gold. ;)

Nite.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    there is no mention of how many voted.

if you ask 1000 supporters a question and only 360 responded all with the same answer then you can say 36% said this.

Jeez sir you are hard work - I pointed out to you how many people were asked to vote:
    2,500 shareholders and adult season ticket holders, as opposed to the 150 or thereby at the meeting.

36% of those said NO - now you can dress that number/percentage up any way you or your mate choose to but they are the facts - it was a minority vote ... get over it and make sure your support has a boycott on big bad Kilmarnock FC next season because you guys need some new folk to hate/blame next year.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Keep trying.

Rangers had more than financial irregularities. For the majority of its history it was a catholic free zone club which didnt even apologise for such policies.

Thankfully that club is is now dead. We will now see what sevco FC is like?

I don't really ever want to bring religion into this but when you get fuds like you posting I feel I have to.:mad:

Please tell us about your famous protestant history that includes your treatment of club legend "Jock Stein" and Gordon Strachan who wasn't "celtic minded" enough to manage your great club ... go on I dare you.:p

Plus of course your worship of that naughty Northern Ireland catholic but allround good-guy Neil Lennon ... the ultimate in what your club stands for.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are deluded. Even Green accepts that 'The Rangers' are a new club. Look at the pack presented to the SPL chairmen for proof. Rangers are dead, and 'The Rangers' are hoping to use the defunct club's assets to become a new club. You haven't even got a league to play in and you try to claim it's the same club. Most of your fellow supporters accept it, why can't you?

Newco - the hint is in the vote they had not too long ago.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see it's started, The Scottish Sun claiming Neil Lennon could be forced to sell a top player to make up for Rangers not being in the SPL.

This despite Neil Lennon saying there is no change to his plans in the transfer market.

I find it quite amazing that you can project something posted on "twitter" as fact yet anything that doesn't suit you or your club that is posted in the press is automatically garbage ... forgive me for laughing like ****.:D

I think if we can reach an agreement that everything posted in the media is automatically garbage it could save you an awful lot of work on projecting your pro-celtic/anti-rangers thought process on the rest of us.:p
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither am I :D

I'm sure the detailed synopsis you've given 'from a true Irish, non Celtic-supporting viewpoint will end any doubt that the new Celtic strip is, indeed, green, white and gold. ;)

Nite.
    The is nothing procative about having a green,white and gold trim on the sleeves of the new strip. In actual fact, you have to turn over the sleeves to see it. It is about anknowledging the clubs origins. If Rangers want to bring out a orange strip, then i don't have a problem with it.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    I don't really ever want to bring religion into this but when you get fuds like you posting I feel I have to.:mad:

Please tell us about your famous protestant history that includes your treatment of club legend "Jock Stein" and Gordon Strachan who wasn't "celtic minded" enough to manage your great club ... go on I dare you.:p

Plus of course your worship of that naughty Northern Ireland catholic but allround good-guy Neil Lennon ... the ultimate in what your club stands for.:cool:

How u can even try to equate any of that with a club that refused to sign players because of there religious background amazes me.

As I said it would. If Ki goes this is what the media will run with to suit there agenda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early season top 6 prediction:

1. Celtic
    2. Aberdeen
    3. Dundee Utd
    4. Hearts
    5. Hibs
    6. Motherwell
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raith Rovers have released the following statement:

The club has this evening received the notice of resolutions to be voted on next Friday and we are told to expect an information pack at some time next week. We hope that this pack will present a more balanced report to SFL member clubs than they have so far received.

At last Tuesday’s meeting, financial information provided by Neil Doncaster showed an unrealistic worst case scenario. It showed the impact of potential total loss of 3 TV contracts, all of which had been inexplicably agreed on the basis that the broadcaster could walk way if either Rangers or Celtic were not in the SPL. His information did not, however, set out the potentially positive impact of negotiating replacement contracts with other broadcasters or alternatively the much mentioned possibility of launching SPL TV (which we understand could have been launched within a matter of months).

Mr Doncaster warned SFL members that if these contracts were indeed lost, this would mean the annual payment to the SFL under the Settlement Agreement would either be greatly reduced or not paid at all. Raith Rovers FC believes this not to be the case, and that the SPL would remain both contractually obliged and able to pay the £1.9m – £2m annual sum, even in that worst case scenario. We call upon the SFL Board to clarify its view on this vital point urgently, before club boards finalise their positions on these important votes.

We are also concerned that there has not as yet been an opportunity for clubs to receive legal advice from the SFL and / or debate the potential consequences on the smooth running of our league in the event that the Courts are asked to annull / strike down any of the corporate transactions that have led to the current position of Sevco Scotland Ltd as owners of certain assets of the Rangers oldco. Indeed, the position as regards the potential sanctions to be applied by the Scottish FA via its Appellate Tribunal has also still to be bottomed out. In summary, we remain concerned that the SPL clubs have overwhelmingly voted to pass on this potential time bomb, which may yet explode once passed to the SFL’s jurisdiction, and we are being asked to accept this new company into membership, worse still in our top division.

Without all of this information, and the opportunity for clubs to further discuss these issues on a fully informed basis amongst themselves before the formal SGM, in a similar format to last Tuesday’s meeting, we are concerned that the fairness and transparency of the process itself is at risk of being compromised. Raith Rovers FC will consider its stance with regard to attendance at this meeting once we receive the information from the SFL.

Fair enough statement from Raith Rovers. The performance of the SPL, the SPL clubs and the SFA in all of this has been an utter disgrace. The fact that the SFL clubs have been left to pick up the mess caused by the dead Rangers is shocking.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    Jeez sir you are hard work - I pointed out to you how many people were asked to vote:

36% of those said NO - now you can dress that number/percentage up any way you or your mate choose to but they are the facts - it was a minority vote ... get over it and make sure your support has a boycott on big bad Kilmarnock FC next season because you guys need some new folk to hate/blame next year.:rolleyes:

The bitterness is strong in this one.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early season top 6 prediction:

1. Celtic
    2. Aberdeen
    3. Dundee Utd
    4. Hearts
    5. Hibs
    6. Motherwell
    1)Celtic 2)Dundee Utd 3)Hearts 4)Aberdeen 5)Motherwell 6)St Johnstone
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Fair enough statement from Raith Rovers. The performance of the SPL, the SPL clubs and the SFA in all of this has been an utter disgrace. The fact that the SFL clubs have been left to pick up the mess caused by the dead Rangers is shocking.

If it does result in a no vote watch the media tell the nation that the clubs who voted no have destroyed scottish football.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say you're as shady as ***** - especially on a clubs shirt when they have no trophies :D

I don't even know what that means. :o
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,312
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    anything else you require corrected on?

Delusion, seek help :)
  • bordersboybordersboy Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a look at the odds for the SPL this season...Celtic 33/1 ON to win the league.

Has there ever been a team so short to win a league title ever?
  • youngmiffmcniffyoungmiffmcniff Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    bordersboy wrote: »
    Just had a look at the odds for the SPL this season...Celtic 33/1 ON to win the league.

Has there ever been a team so short to win a league title ever?

50/1 on with Paddy Power. "The Field" are 10/1
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am shocked people think Aberdeen will have a better season:eek: Down near the bottom as usual I think
This discussion has been closed.