Sertraline...any advice or experiences?

duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm having a bit off a hard time just now and my doctor has prescribed sertraline. I've not started it yet as I'm not sure I want to take it.

I had an episode of depression a few years ago and was on prozac. It worked fine for a while then pooped out. Was swithed to citalopram which made me feel wired, didn't sleep for days on end, generally felt so detached from everything that it frightened me. And this horrible complulsion to pick my skin. After six weeks was swapped to mitzrapine but within a handful of months had put on two stone. Gave up on tablets all together and eventually got there but it was a long haul, took two years alone to get the weight off.

Anyway a combination of things have set me back and the doc thinks I should take setraline for 6 months. After all the previous problems I'm terrfied!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I started these pills after spending years being depressed and suffering from horrible anxiety. I used to spend all my time convinced I was about to die. I'd tried lots of pills and had no luck.

For me, they are brilliant. I can't remember the last time I had a panic attack, (I was having upwards of 6 a DAY) my moods have stabilised. I'm still not some super happy out going girl, but I don't have the deep lows I used to. I feel much more able to face problems than just be depressed about them.

I started off on 50mg, then 100mg, then 150mg and 200mg. I started feeling much better on 50mg but worked my way up to 200 where I feel very comfortable.

I also didn't gain weight, I lost the compulsion to overeat and lost two stone :)
  • justascarecrowjustascarecrow Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    I am also on sertraline - have tried fluoxetine, but was not for me. Sertraline like other ssri drugs take about 6 weeks for the effects to be felt. I have been on it for around 5 years and had my dose upped last year as I wasn't coping with my dad having a stroke and being diagnosed with Alzheimer's. However since then I am more like the unique person I am! I would give it a go. If you need a pep chat at any time pm me.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sertraline definately suits some people and not others, I hated being on it.

it made my arms, hands, and fingers tingle almost constantly, and made me emotionally numb. Yeah I wasn't feeling depressed, but I wasn't feeling anything at all, and I had no motivation for anything.

Just my experience though and obviously everyone is different. Good luck! x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    It's probably the best one I've ever used....so effective in fact that I forgot to keep taking it.
    I also had a few months on mirtazapine, which I didn't get on so well with (it made me want to top myself), and citalopram (my finest impression of a zombie yet). So yeah...Sertraline was definitely the lesser of all the evils. I tend to feel pretty nauseous when I start taking it, having not been on anything for a while, but that wears off after a while.
    Good luck with it all, anyway. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its strokes and folks. I had to come off them, they made me ill and went back on the Prozac. They work for a lot of people though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Dishy wrote: »
    It's probably the best one I've ever used....so effective in fact that I forgot to keep taking it.

^^^ This. really need to wean myself off it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different types of antidepressants, in different doses, work for different people.

http://www.mind.org.uk/mental_health_a-z/8025_antidepressants
  • SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sertraline was the best SSRI for me. It really worked when I was desperate. But couldn't get any joy out of sexy times so ultimately I came off it.

Also couldn't sleep that well but that didn't bother me too much.
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on sertraline ( also called Zoloft or Lustral ) in the past .It was perfect for me and I had no side effects at all .When my son got depressed he was placed on it and he also did very well on it too .

But we're all different so only you will know what to do.It's worth knowing that sertraline is especially good for people with anxiety so you may find it does work for you .But it's ultimately up to you and your G/P.
    good luck with whatever you decide..
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Sertraline, it helped for anxiety, and depression with accompanying migraine. Another plus, was that my doctor told me that it was an antidepressant that kept blood sugar levels stable, so didn't lead to weight gain.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Again as other posters have said I can only speak for myself. I've been off Sertraline for the past month after 'suffering' them for about 8 months. For me they were the worse tablets I'd ever taken - yes, the doctor had tried me on two other types from this group prior to them - and these seemed to be the best of all of them at the time. However, once I'd upped them to 1x 50mg tablet it was a down hill slope - I tried goi g back to 25 mg, taking them at different times etc as the doctor recommended but to no avail. Each day I became worse, dizzy, trembling, shivering, sweating, vomiting, continually exhausted - the lot. Twice I fell because I was so dizzy and fractured my knee, then I turned around after washing some dishes in the kitchen & fractured my nose! I was in such a fog that I couldn't comprehend it was the tablets until I went back to the doctors & my husband had also said that I hadn't been right since taking the tablets. So I weaned myself off, saw my doctor and he agreed it had to be the tablets as he had sent me for lots of blood tests. I'm now back on my Dolsulipen/Prothiedine and I'm only just feeling 'normal?' again.

The worse tablets/ group of tablets for me anyway (SSRis) but they've helped many - unfortunately ADs can be trial & error over a long while as they have to get into your system and if they're not suitable you have to wean yourself off them and try others - but don't give up if you need something. It just happens the older style ones suit me.

Wishing you luck - hope you get better soon OP & others.:)
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to say I feel for you Utopian Girl and others who are struggling to find something to help. Antidepressants can be wonderful and get you to a point where you are able to face helping yourself, perhaps with exercise or therapy. However, it's very tough when you're already exhausted, suffering with anxiety and at rock bottom, to have to persevere and try to find something new. Especially as it means weaning off slowly from the last one and then trying to cope initial side effects for up to 6 weeks before you know if there's an improvement.

I've been on antidepressants for 14 years in the UK and America they have been a true lifeline. They are also a recognised preventative (in small doses) for chronic pain. However, I totally respect they're not for everyone and sometimes the affects are so awful, you just know you have to come off. However, one tip I would pass on to people when trying a new antidepressant, is to ask your GP if he will let you wean UP slowly, rather than start you straight off at the therapeutic dose, which might be way too strong for you, especially if you're quite sensitive to medication.

They prefer this approach in America, because it gives your body more time to adjust and while on your way up, you might notice you respond better at a lower strength to the official therapeutic dose prescribed. (I've occasionally noticed an improvement as I begin to wean down). Rather than "throwing the baby away with the bath water" and end up maybe coming off something that might actually have been beneficial in a smaller dose.

I thought I'd pass on my experiences in case they're useful. :)
    Forum Member
    I just wanted to say I feel for you Utopian Girl and others who are struggling to find something to help. Antidepressants can be wonderful and get you to a point where you are able to face helping yourself, perhaps with exercise or therapy. However, it's very tough when you're already exhausted, suffering with anxiety and at rock bottom, to have to persevere and try to find something new. Especially as it means weaning off slowly from the last one and then trying to cope initial side effects for up to 6 weeks before you know if there's an improvement.

I've been on antidepressants for 14 years in the UK and America they have been a true lifeline. They are also a recognised preventative (in small doses) for chronic pain. However, I totally respect they're not for everyone and sometimes the affects are so awful, you just know you have to come off. However, one tip I would pass on to people when trying a new antidepressant, is to ask your GP if he will let you wean UP slowly, rather than start you straight off at the therapeutic dose, which might be way too strong for you, especially if you're quite sensitive to medication.

They prefer this approach in America, because it gives your body more time to adjust and while on your way up, you might notice you respond better at a lower strength to the official therapeutic dose prescribed. (I've occasionally noticed an improvement as I begin to wean down). Rather than "throwing the baby away with the bath water" and end up maybe coming off something that might actually have been beneficial in a smaller dose.

I thought I'd pass on my experiences in case they're useful. :)

Aww, that's lovely NS. I do have a doctor ( well all of them in the surgery) who up tablets slowly - my Doctor, ironically used to sit behind me at school ( we never mention this tho') and initially he was a pharmacist so I do trust him & he knows I'm pretty stoic with my treatments but Sertraline really was killing me in more ways than one. I know, he said I'll always need something to help my seratonin levels so as I said, it's the better the devil I know for me tbh. Years ago I was put on a low dose of Prozac and it was the same as the Sertraline - my late Dad couldn't take it after my Mum died 19 yrs ago either - so I'm guessing this group doesn't suit me. Amtryptaline never worked - so I take the Dolsuleipin & have to relay on 10 mg of Diazepam on a day to day basis. There are many days, weeks maybe when I don't need the diazepam too - but if I'm flying I do need the buspirone short term as well! Depression & anxiety are dreadful experiences to suffer from and I'd help anyone if I could - unless you've suffered panic attacks/ depression I understand how easy it is to be dismissive about them.

I am begining my gym routine again now since stopping the Sertraline - they were even making me agraphobic as I was scared of fainting/ dizziness when out alone.

Forgot to say I've been on Ads for 30-ish yrs too.
  • WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I'm currently on 100mg of this medication and have been since late 2012. Started out on 50mg though but that soon wore off. Lately I've beem suffering from many nightmares per night and my girlfriend has to slap me gently when I'm screaming out aloud in my sleep. This never happened before when I was without pills. So I'm now also on sleeping tablets to try and engage my brain to sleep but this only makes it harder for me to wake up from nightmares each night.

My memory has gone to pot as well. I used to have such an awesome memory until last year.
    Forum Member
    WhiteShade wrote: »
    I'm currently on 100mg of this medication and have been since late 2012. Started out on 50mg though but that soon wore off. Lately I've beem suffering from many nightmares per night and my girlfriend has to slap me gently when I'm screaming out aloud in my sleep. This never happened before when I was without pills. So I'm now also on sleeping tablets to try and engage my brain to sleep but this only makes it harder for me to wake up from nightmares each night.

My memory has gone to pot as well. I used to have such an awesome memory until last year.

Please go back to your GP - I had to - I might end up taking more tablets rather than one but I can cope with this system.

ADs are life savers but you have to ( unfortunately) play around and find the right one. Ask to try a different group. :)
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sertraline works for me, with no side effects. I take 150mg a day, down from 200, but this is about the 5th one I've tried, having had no success with other types of tablets. I also take Mirtazepine, which to me, is a godsend.

It's different for different people
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Wellbutrin XL is working well, had to buy it myself but it is available in the UK for smoking cessation, Bupropion is the active ingredient. No side effects, peps you up and you actually lose weight. Citalopram was like replacing one problem with another, couldn't hack that stuff for long. As others have said, just a case of finding the right one.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. i still haven't decided whether to take them. One of my problems is health anxiety and read that sometimes sertraline can cause liver problems. My aunt died after liver failure caused by another drug(anti inflammatory) and I've been obsessing about it.

Had my assessment with the community mental health team (they do it by phone!) so will probably hold off my decision til I chat with the nurse. It's good to get so many positive experiences though.
  • Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on various antidepressants from the age of 13 up until the age of 29, being on Sertraline for the last 5/6 years at varying doses. I didnt notice any problems while I was on them and they must have worked as I've now been AD free for over 2 years and feeling fab. However, coming off Sertraline was one of the most traumatic experiences ever. If I ever missed even a days dose, I would feel light headed, get pins and needles in my arms, my ears would ring, and I'd feel lousy. When I decided the time had come to stop taking them, my doc recommended reducing the dose but I was already on the lowest available so was having to do alternate days,mthen every three etc, and I could barely function on these days. I forget now how long it took to get them out of my system, but I sometimes felt it was worth staying on them forever just so I would feel normal! One other thing I didnt notice till about a year after I stopped was that I lost a lot of weight, I'd gradually gained weight overe the years but nothing could shift it. When I stopped the Sertraline, I also started Slimming World, and lost 4 stone in under a year, and have kept it off even when the diet slipped! I'm convinced that the medication had a lot to do with the weight gain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on Sertraline after taking Citalopram and getting lots and lots of side effects. It worked great for my mood but I was working 8 hours then coming home and sleeping til the next morning. I'm on Fluoxetine now but I'm still exhausted all the time. Then I keep waking up, hence being on here so early.,,
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't be without my sertraline but does anyone else get a massive come down if they miss even just a couple of pills? I missed them over the weekend and was a mess.