Options

Four Hidden Truths About Depression

2»

Comments

• Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Big.Al wrote: »
    I can identify with that, being a Christian too. There is a huge amount of ignorance about depression among many Christians. As if one should be immune from it. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Indeed. And make no mistake, I've learned a huge amount about faith, me, ministry to others that I wouldn't otherwise have done. I'm not ready to be grateful for it yet, if ever!, but there have been positives too.
    There are probably lots of other reasons for people's reactions besides lack of empathy, mainly to do with the fact that they can't face things and want things back to normal ASAP and pretend it never happened. Or it makes people think about their own lives and how quickly everything could be turned upside down.
    I think that's especially true with cancer. I think the statistics show that within a very few years it will affect 1 person in 2!! People are desperate for sufferers to be better or at least coping, because otherwise the thought of what might happen to themselves is too frightening to contemplate.
    As to depression - well, that's even more something they hope will just be wished away, for the same reason: that they have to be able to think that should the unthinkable happen to them, it'll pass quickly.
    Have you thought of contacting a jobcentre disability advisor to ask about Access to work and suggestions on how to make your working life a bit easier to cope with? Or consider going part time for a while as well?

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work
    http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/access-work
    I'm fortunate in that my employers are now happy with me working a reduced timetable, and taking on more things as I feel ready. Thankyou for the suggestion and the links, though. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Indeed. And make no mistake, I've learned a huge amount about faith, me, ministry to others that I wouldn't otherwise have done. I'm not ready to be grateful for it yet, if ever!, but there have been positives too.

I think that's especially true with cancer. I think the statistics show that within a very few years it will affect 1 person in 2!! People are desperate for sufferers to be better or at least coping, because otherwise the thought of what might happen to themselves is too frightening to contemplate.
    As to depression - well, that's even more something they hope will just be wished away, for the same reason: that they have to be able to think that should the unthinkable happen to them, it'll pass quickly.

I'm fortunate in that my employers are now happy with me working a reduced timetable, and taking on more things as I feel ready. Thankyou for the suggestion and the links, though. :)

No problem, but if you ever need alterations or anything just ask your employers to get them in for an assessment (they don't have to pay for anything) and if you ever need to reduce your hours for any length of time (even short term), contact working tax credits people https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/what-youll-get
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A big thank you goes to stupidwheelie for being such a great contributor to this thread so far! :cool:
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How someone manages to turn basic common sense in to an "informative" "article" they deem worthy of publishing online I don't know..... but it doesn't strike me as particularly interesting or groundbreaking stuff...!
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's fair to say that everyone with depression would be better off in work. It depends on how the depression affects them, and the type of work they were capable of before.
  • Options
    ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About the not presenting as depressed thing. I have suffered with depression as long as I can remember, I am medicated but it always has, and still does, rule my life. However I present a happy front, to the point where people often accuse me of being too happy!!!!!! Oh the irony.

There is another kind of person with depression from the kind described traditionally in literature, who knows their thoughts and emotions are so overwhelmingly negative that to share them or make them visible to other could only make things worse, and would make them so completely repellent to other humans that they create an impenetrable facade of fake happiness to cover up their dirty depression secret.

The amount of study into mental health surely should have made professionals aware of this too? Or maybe our cover stories are just that good?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Cool! Did you create that? :cool:
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

ohhh i LOVE that.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Cool! Did you create that? :cool:

No I just happened across it shortly after I read this thread and thought the two should meet ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohhh i LOVE that.
    Me too! :cool:
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

I saw that on Facebook earlier, it is very good
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    There are quite a lot of good cartoons in that series, thanks for reminding me with the link.

The one about the medication rang a loud bell. Neither my GP nor my oncology psychologist think that medication would be a good idea for me. I had HUGE problems in the early days with prescription sleeping tablets (Zopiclone knocked me out but exacerbated the anxiety a hundred-fold; Tamazepam just didn't work, the anxiety fought through it. I was sleeping one night in 3) so I'm happy not to have to struggle with more meds. However, I told one of my closest friends that anti-depressants weren't going to be an option she said, "Well, anti-depressants are only a sticking-plaster anyway". Yea right, like antibiotics are a sticking plaster; like chemotherapy is a sticking plaster. And this from someone on umpteen tablets for ongoing "physical" health conditions.

This attitude is so prevalent, among the nicest of people, that simple cartoons like this, simple articles like the original one we began discussing are so important - they really are new news to many people.

BTW, this thread has been a huge help to me yesterday and today; thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw that on Facebook earlier, it is very good
    I'm surprised I never saw it before, unless it is a relatively new meme!
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depression does affect people differently, it's like a cold.

I go through cycles of it, I can feel it coming. These days, I don't seek help, I just let it run it's course.

I saw a wonderful therapist who suggested that maybe it was just my way of coping with things, and I think it makes sense to an extent.

I've had years to work on hiding it, and I often find that throwing myself into work is my way of coping.

After being released from hospital, they offered me a flat, on my own, and said I wouldn't ever have to work.

That sounded like my idea of hell. Being on my own, with my thoughts, and nothing to occupy me? No thanks.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    xp95 wrote: »
    I'm surprised I never saw it before, unless it is a relatively new meme!

it may be, i only saw it for the first time the other day
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    s been a huge help to me yesterday and today; thank you.

am glad the thread has helped you :)