Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

HugoLottHugoLott Posts: 168
Forum Member
Taylor Swift's new single entitled Shake It Off, very different to her previous work but soooo catchy :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not very different to her previous work it has similar vein of WANEGBT.

It's a poor song I think it's a catchy and in the end you'll like it like 22. But it's just a very weak song. She doesn't have the greatest back catalogue but this is pretty poor and her shift into pop is overall quite weak.

It's doesn't quite compete with similar pop stylings that we get from Katy Perry who has cornered and owned the market in tongue in cheek pop anthems.

I'd rate it 5/10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I really love it and think that it will do quite well because its catchy and just bubblegum pop. I really think that Taylor Swift is a great pop star, she continues to evolve and redevelop with every album.

Also I hate the comments of how she is forced into going down the pop route. This is what she wanted and she is clever as she is appealing to different markets with each album and developing a huge fan base.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really love it and think that it will do quite well because its catchy and just bubblegum pop. I really think that Taylor Swift is a great pop star, she continues to evolve and redevelop with every album.

Also I hate the comments of how she is forced into going down the pop route. This is what she wanted and she is clever as she is appealing to different markets with each album and developing a huge fan base.

She doesn't develop she just repackages he same old songs over again. I have all four albums and really there is little to separate them save for her more pop leanings. This song will do well but it's not a good a song.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    She doesn't develop she just repackages he same old songs over again. I have all four albums and really there is little to separate them save for her more pop leanings. This song will do well but it's not a good a song.

I feel like the writing has got a lot better on each album. Especially on 'Red' with songs like 'All Too Well'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    I feel like the writing has got a lot better on each album. Especially on 'Red' with songs like 'All Too Well'.

I agree it's gotten better but after 4 albums if it hadn't it'd be a poor show. But they are still the same old songs with the same tired themes. What is most disappointing for me is after her work on THG Soundtack I thought she'd turned a corner and we'd have a more mature TS starting tot develop as an artist. Not quite Shake It Off just shows it up completely.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I agree it's gotten better but after 4 albums if it hadn't it'd be a poor show. But they are still the same old songs with the same tired themes. What is most disappointing for me is after her work on THG Soundtack I thought she'd turned a corner and we'd have a more mature TS starting tot develop as an artist. Not quite Shake It Off just shows it up completely.

I'd forgotten that stuff; really good. You're right, in comparison Shake It Off is pretty immature. But then she does have a young audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten that stuff; really good. You're right, in comparison Shake It Off is pretty immature. But then she does have a young audience.

She did work with The Civil wars on song and it worked really well love Safe & Sound possibly her best song to date.

I just think as an artist she is regressing and it's sad to see she's trying to be Katy Perry and it for me doesn't work.
  • kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But not every song has to mean something really personal. Not every song has to be "art". Sometimes people are allowed to just have fun and make a song that people can dance and sing along to.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just not very good
  • ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incredibly catchy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    But not every song has to mean something really personal. Not every song has to be "art". Sometimes people are allowed to just have fun and make a song that people can dance and sing along to.

Of course not some light relief is always good if executed well. The song isn't it's cheesey naff and a lesser rehash of WANEGBT. It's like P!nk Taylor just never ever like ever develops :p
  • hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    She is now at #2 on UK iTunes. Let's hope she can climb to #1 and deny David Guetta his sixth #1 single.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Taylor's new song for the first time from watching the video that goes with it a little bit ago and as I watched it, I couldn't help but smile the entire time. She may not have the best voice anyone has ever heard, but to me, she without a doubt has the greatest musical approach. I love how she always knows exactly what it is that needs to be said and does nothing but go out there and deliver it in an unavoidable way! :):):)

God bless you and Taylor always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. I wouldn't hate seeing this song score her some more award nominations! :):):)
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the video more than the song. Song's good but video is very fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody awful song. Was this something wrote by Taylor when she was 5?
    Good grief the lyrics are appalling. As a fan of Taylor I consider myself very disappointed by this new direction she has taken. Seems as if Taylor has sold out. I have seen this slowly coming ever since We Are Never Getting Back Together. This is the sort of garbage you would expect Miley Cyrus to release.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Terrible song and I really feel from the video she is trying far too hard. while not her biggest fan I used to think she was quite original

but this screams "please like me"
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said on here yesterday, I really really like it
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are taking it too serious. She hasn't sold out, why would she need to? Her previous albums have been HUGE, she's sold out arenas and stadiums worldwide. It's not like 'Red' was her first big success, her third album broke records for opening week sales and I'm pretty sure her first 2 albums did amazing too.

So she had no reason to sell out, infact she could have just played it safe and released another country pop album and it would have done amazingly but would have been a safe bet, she's trying something new and experimenting and why shouldn't she? What's wrong with experimenting. Why limit yourself to one genre when you could try your hand at other stuff, and she does do pop very well.

I think in the long run she should return to her country roots (and I think she will), but this is a nice change and it'll be interesting to see how she does at being a proper "popstar".
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are taking it too serious. She hasn't sold out, why would she need to? Her previous albums have been HUGE, she's sold out arenas and stadiums worldwide. It's not like 'Red' was her first big success, her third album broke records for opening week sales and I'm pretty sure her first 2 albums did amazing too.

So she had no reason to sell out, infact she could have just played it safe and released another country pop album and it would have done amazingly but would have been a safe bet, she's trying something new and experimenting and why shouldn't she? What's wrong with experimenting. Why limit yourself to one genre when you could try your hand at other stuff, and she does do pop very well.

I think in the long run she should return to her country roots (and I think she will), but this is a nice change and it'll be interesting to see how she does at being a proper "popstar".

Yep, all of her albums have sold extremeley well. Her debut album has sold around 10 million world wide, Fearless has sold over 10 million world wide, Speak Now has sold over 7 million world wide, and Red has sold around 8 million world wide.

She's never been an out-and-out country singer, she's always been more country/pop. Red was a step towards this pop album, so Shake It Off has hardly come out of the blue. I said in the other thread, she doesn't have to work another day in her life as she is loaded, so she is just simply making music she wants to make, and like you say, why shouldn't she?
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible song and I really feel from the video she is trying far too hard. while not her biggest fan I used to think she was quite original

but this screams "please like me"
    I don't think that she is screaming such a thing because she knows that certain people are not going to like her as long as she continues to be the way that she is which I believe is what the song is all about. No one can please everyone and so she says to just shake off whatever comes from those who are obviously not in the group of those who are pleased. :):):)

God bless you and Taylor always!!! :):):)

Holly
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Taylor Swift - the Aphex Twin of today's generation.'
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Taylor Swift - the Aphex Twin of today's generation.'

or should that be Madonna or Mariah Carey? she is awesome
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or should that be Madonna or Mariah Carey? she is awesome

Are you kidding.

Madonna on her 5th album was pushing the boundries of modern music, courting controversy, and producing one of the best albums of her careers and the 90’s.

In a similar vein Mariah Carey was evolving as an artist and producing one of the best R&B albums of the last 20 years.
    Taylor Swift is releasing pop music that is like Katy Perry light. And has rehashed the same old tired tunes and themes for the past 8 years.

Never have i seen such a mediocre artist receive such undeserved praise.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like this. It's very catchy, and the video compliments it well with it's awkward sense of 'fun'.

She makes it work. :)
  • MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like this song. I'm not a huge fan of Taylor's previous songs, but this is really catchy and has a fun video. I hope Taylor gets to number one, also it will be her first UK number one if it does.