Options

Under the Dome - Series 2

Comments

• Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Marcusjll wrote: »
    And what happened to the skater guy with long hair? He appeared regularly in season 1 - not sure if it was him with the inhaler a couple episodes back - but if it was I kinda forgot who he was until that point

It was him, but he's aged somewhat in a short space of time.
  • Options
    GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    This show has taken over the role previously occupied by NBCs now axed Revolution in my TV Viewing list.

Like Revolution, I started watchig because I thought the premise had real potential. Like with Revolution, I soon realised the potential would never be realised if the series was being written by a bunch of Writers whom it seems have all graduated from US Daytime TV soap Writers Rooms! And like with Revolution, I stuck it out for the entirety of season 1 and even came back for season 2, in the hope, that having had 9 months in whoch to assess and improve, Writers and the Show Runner would give us an improved series in its second year. As with revolution, UTD has not improved, but only got worse!

In my opinion, writers have no clear story arc, defied mythos or character development plans. Writers are now clearly writing for Actors instead of writing for Characters, to the detriment of the series and its story. Characers which should have been killed off or written out continue to survive only because the acto seems to be popular. their characters go round and round in cirlces, dont develop nor contribute anyting other than just looping the messy storyline into an even bigger mess.

Lesser characters who survived suddenly suffer personality transplants. the mild mannered DJ from season 1 for example!

Annoying townspeople continue to hover in the background with little develoment beyond the minute role they might play in advancng the "plot".

in terms of story - the story went from a mystery, to confusing to barmy to complete OTT nuts! Writers are clearly inventing the mythos up as each week progresses. Rules change and goal posts are moved every week!

the series also fails MASSIVELY in creating credible stories within its own created universe. With TV shows one is expected to suspend belief, but TV writers give you paramerters by creating their own TV world where you can apply these more relaxed rules. But we are just being fed completely illogical and incredible stories week in week out!

A dead mother now revealed to be alive, who has not seen her son in years, decides to send him an email! How did she get his email address? She left before he was old enough to have email?! Why di she send him ane amil when - it has been revealed - she followed the DOme story on TV and knew perfectly well he would not receive the email!!??!!! However, TV wrters had to get this email to him, so lifted the WiFi ban on the town momentarily which conveniantely allowed his email through. And the son all of a sudden takes everything as gospel too LOL

The Town is running out of food supplies, so, after calling for the community to pool in their food stocks at a building which even had a banner made reading "Food Here" or similar - wouldnt people know where it was?? LOL, the story is resolved by one token townsperson old lady whose now dead husband was a survivalist and stocked food in massive quanities in case of emergency LOL And of course, her supply donation can now feed the ENTIRE town for a while. That said, it seems the town is just populated by our score of leads and a score of token townspeople who just sit at the cafe drinking coffee and eating - good way to ration!

The Town has also survived a Water shortage, resolved ina similar fashion. But the award for most stupiod story resolution has to be the "Dust and Oxygen depravation" crisis just last week. After dust pollutes the air, science teacher proposes building a "mill" out of recycled street signs. Water would be sprayed onto the mill, and it in turn would spray water into the air, thus settling the dust. One tiny Mill made from junk managed to spray enough water across the entire town - the land space covered y the town is massive and includes numerous farms too. Not only that, the windmill other than settling the dust by spraying water everywhere, also managed to calm dpown the wind which had lifted the dust LOL

Soap Operatics have played their part in the series since episode 1, but this week they are heightened with Barbie managing to "fall into" his former hometown. There the big reveal is that his father is involved int he Dome incident!

Soap Opera techniques are also very present each week, with Writers olding our hands throughout and having characters constantly recapping events that have previously happened;

Norrie: "Did the egg do anything else last night?"
    Junior: "Uh, not since it showed us the obelisk from Zenith."
    Melanie: "Which is so weird. Why would it show us something from my hometown?"
    Norrie: "Your hometown is Barbie's hometown. That has to mean something."

Also, the long pauses, stares and awful acting!

US TV Daytime saps are often OTT and include paranormal and other OTT / mock plots. I am sure that under the Dome would have worked best as a 3month storyline within one fo the US daytime soaps! At least the credibility standards are lower and the plot could have played out more naturally.

There are so many plot holes to pick - Ive only mentioned a few and most recent cos it would take forever to list and detail them. I have trult given up with this series. However since I enjoy analysing TV writing, I continue to watch and it is a truly amazing experience. Just when you thougth the story could not get sillier, it does!

How many on here are hate watching, or mock watching or just cos they cannot believe this is actually on air and surived to return with a second season? hands up! The "activity" on the thread proves that not many pople are watching at all.

Unbelievable, in Spain, the series has become a massive hit. Last Sumemr it became the most watched Fiction on Spanish TV and season 2 this Summer is performing same, even outperforming Arrow (with which it is paired on same channel and same night) by more than a million viewers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then agian, if you should ever watch Spanish TV you'd understand this show is probably a blessing for them!
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With TV shows one is expected to suspend belief...

I only bothered with a few eps of S1 but your entire post seems like an accurate precis. I admire your stamina at sticking with it but am also appalled at the sheer waste of time you`ve put yourself through! :D

The phrase is "suspend disbelief" btw although with this POS perhaps you`re right after all!!
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many on here are hate watching, or mock watching or just cos they cannot believe this is actually on air and surived to return with a second season? hands up! The "activity" on the thread proves that not many pople are watching at all.

<waves>

Every season I watch something that initially looked like it might be good/interesting, but actually turned out to be nonsense/shite.

Sometimes I keep watching in the naive hope of improvement, sometimes I keep watching *because* the show is awful and I want to see just how bad it can get.

Past shows have been Revolution, FlashForward, The Event, and Terrible Nova.

This season, it's Under the Dome.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, I'm definitely "hate watching". This along with The Last Ship are my favourite nit picking shows. After watching S1 I vowed not to bother with S2 but I was bored one night and caught up in a single evening. I've never laughed so much.

Hot Science Teacher: "You are the murderer!"
    Barbie: "No I'm not!"
    Hot Science Teacher (who would later turn genocidal): "Oh, OK then. Let me show you my research on the Dome"

The only character who seems to get any good lines at is the sulky teen (Norrie?), whose sarcastic sides are quite funny.

The scene with the windmill must be one of the worst bits of TV pseudo-science I have ever seen.

It's a shame they killed off Angie. Britt Robertson is a terrible actress but she is very cute.
    Matt D wrote: »
    Past shows have been Revolution, FlashForward, The Event, and Terrible Nova.

Of those I gave up on Revolution early. It wasn't bad enough to be funny, it was just bad and boring. I actually thought that Flash Forward had decent cast, plenty of potential and with some minor tweaking it could have been made to work for further seasons. Shame it was cancelled. I'll agree with you about The Event and Terra Nova though, both were hilariously bad and were essential viewing for hate watchers.
  • Options
    JohnrJohnr Posts: 3,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbie to Julia : Don't J...ump

...We all know exactly what Julia is gonna be doing next week then :D
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Barbie didn't even think to write a note beforehand & hold it up against the dome! Doh!

Instead he wastes time by writing backwards with a felt tip pen.
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard it starts on the 19th August.

Series 2 starts Monday 25th August at 10.00pm. - Can't wait
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last 3 episodes have been quite interesting and enjoyable surprisingly. Certainly better than the standard fare we're usually fed on a weekly basis. I'm liking the storyline with the tunnel underneath the school and the off-Dome scenes. It seems to have injected some genuine intrigue into the show.

I'm glad we finally got the chance to see how the world were reacting to the Dome. Barbie's dad is quite the mystery and he seems to have some hidden agenda with the Dome & the Egg. The IT Geek certainly doesn't trust Barbie's dad if his clandestine activities are anything to go by and claims his boss is obsessed with the Dome. All signs are pointing to Barbie's dad being a villain.

Sam's storyline is also intriguing with its focus on the show's mythology as he, Lyle and Junior's mum try to figure out the events relating to the Dome. They leave in search of a red door that is seen on one of Junior mum's drawings that supposedly is the Exit Door of the Dome.
    It seems the Dome needs Barbie and Sam to carry out some task, hence why it created the tunnel in the first place. I don't think it wants the inhabitants of Chester's Mill to leave the Dome just yet (as that would mean the end of the show), so we could be in for a twist in the upcoming episodes.

Hopefully the show can build on these episodes. Not holding my breath though!
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed the last couple of episodes as well. A note at the end would have made more sense but at least Jim was there to see that Barbie is on the outside now.

Next week should be good, it'll probably be rubbish. :)
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gibraltarian - I agree with so much you've said! Especially the character arcs have no real purpose. I mean, with Junior, I don't believe he'd move onto another girl after Angie in a couple days, which is what he's basically doing with that Melanie. Such bad writing. and it is a shame cause the show had REAL potential. The best episodes were early season 1, but still they weren't great.

Also, I agree with the above poster that Norrie is probably the best with her sarcasm… At least Junior and Barbie are good to look at
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    So Barbie didn't even think to write a note beforehand & hold it up against the dome! Doh!

Instead he wastes time by writing backwards with a felt tip pen.

A skill he seemed to instantly have with no mistakes. They must teach it in the branch of the services that he comes from. :D
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Johnr wrote: »
    Barbie to Julia : Don't J...ump

...We all know exactly what Julia is gonna be doing next week then :D

I have an idea!
    Why don't they install an extremely long bungee rope to themselves before they jump? that way they could jump, pop out at the park and then be pulled back into the bottomless pit? :D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An OK episode but spent far too much of the episode with them trying to get back to the Dome.

Could have done it all in the first 5 mins rather than filling the episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    i'm actually really enjoying this show now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunni2nice wrote: »
    i'm actually really enjoying this show now

Maybe it has improved a little bit but it still has the worst acting and writing of any show I'm currently watching. Even worse than The Last Ship. People just stand around in rooms explaining the story to each other.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I'm still finding this show to be extremely weird with it's timescale. From the intro, we've got Barbie saying "the dome came up a couple of weeks ago" yet considering all that's happened, it seems more like it should be months?

The latest episode was a better one, now we've got an entry and exit point to the dome. Should be a little different if people can come and go as they please. Don't think Pauline is too bright though; she's going to rescue her son and bring him back to the outside, and in doing so is going to keep a low profile, so the first thing she does is go back to their family home and run the risk of running in to Jim? Okay then...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I'm still finding this show to be extremely weird with it's timescale. From the intro, we've got Barbie saying "the dome came up a couple of weeks ago" yet considering all that's happened, it seems more like it should be months?

That happens a lot in TV-land. Something big happens then nobody mentions it again because they are so busy with the next big thing. So far they've had riots, fires, diseases, lynchings, murders, food shortages and several sheriffs - but they are still in the coffee shop as if it was a normal day.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The latest episode was a better one, now we've got an entry and exit point to the dome. Should be a little different if people can come and go as they please. Don't think Pauline is too bright though; she's going to rescue her son and bring him back to the outside, and in doing so is going to keep a low profile, so the first thing she does is go back to their family home and run the risk of running in to Jim? Okay then...

Yes I really don't like the idea of them being able to come and go as they like.

It just seems to be a writers tool so that they can expand the cast and stories as and when they want, rather than being limited to having everything in the dome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also if you want to keep a "low profile" then walking around town dripping wet after just crawling out of a lake might not be the best way to do it.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Also if you want to keep a "low profile" then walking around town dripping wet after just crawling out of a lake might not be the best way to do it.
    True, but then Pauline looked quite dry when she arrived at the house. If I recall, the rising spot is located near Sam's cabin, and that's pretty much in the wilderness and nowhere near town.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad someone pointed out the ridiculously short timescale of the series. I assumed a few months had passed by now. With Lost, the short timescale was more believable because the characters weren't facing every kind of life-threatening situation imaginable such as riots, fires, diseases, lynchings, murders every week like this show :D.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Dome is only going to allow certain people to come and go. I wouldn't be surprised if someone jumps off the cliff and hits rock bottom at some point. :p
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only realised last night that Junior's mother Pauline is played by the same actress who played Dr Susan Lewis in ER, Sherry Stringfield!
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Dome is only going to allow certain people to come and go. I wouldn't be surprised if someone jumps off the cliff and hits rock bottom at some point. :p

Will they shout "geronimooooo!"?