Morbid Stuff that Shouldn't Fascinate You But Does

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither do I. :o

What exactly is sick about watching the Silence of the Lambs (an all-time classic) or any other quality horror film for that matter?

It is simply escapism.

Those with the sick minds are the ones committing atrocities in the real world.

Well, I'm not too sure. My mum lives near a farmhouse that was one time the site of the Bamber massacre. The murders happened 29 years ago, and she still gets people coming up her drive and wandering around on her lands, trying to find the farmhouse.

Mum explained the farmhouse was currently occupied and that the owners deserved privacy, but those people didn't care. They wanted to check out the farmhouse. Wanted to take photos, too. A couple of them insisted there were still clues to be found at the place.

I think that sort of people are sick. It's not escapism. It's an intrusion on real people's lives.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Well, I'm not too sure. My mum lives near a farmhouse that was one time the site of the Bamber massacre. The murders happened 29 years ago, and she still gets people coming up her drive and wandering around on her lands, trying to find the farmhouse.

Mum explained the farmhouse was currently occupied and that the owners deserved privacy, but those people didn't care. They wanted to check out the farmhouse. Wanted to take photos, too. A couple of them insisted there were still clues to be found at the place.

I think that sort of people are sick. It's not escapism. It's an intrusion on real people's lives.

But that is real life - nothing to do with fiction at all. :)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that is real life - nothing to do with fiction at all. :)

I was responding to this line from your post: "Those with the sick minds are the ones committing atrocities in the real world."
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I google and read about mass shootings quite a lot. I don't know what it is that interests me about it. It's more the victims stories I find interesting rather than the attackers. I think about what I would do in if I were in that position and how I might be able to best survive.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    The Russian Famine and stories of cannibalism. It was dangerous to be on a street, desperate, desperate times.

Reminds me, I was reading about the Nazino affair a couple of months ago, which I'd never heard about before. Ol' Joseph and his gang were wrong uns alright.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I google and read about mass shootings quite a lot. I don't know what it is that interests me about it. It's more the victims stories I find interesting rather than the attackers. I think about what I would do in if I were in that position and how I might be able to best survive.

I did once get into reading all about the Hungerford Massacre, particularly the survivor stories. It's a really interesting, if not horrible and sad, story. I wound up living nearby and could never visit the town without replaying in my head the stuff I'd known happened in the places I knew it happened. It spoiled what is otherwise a beautiful little town for me, which incidentally has a cafe with the best almond croissants you've ever tasted :)
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our very Humanity means that we will always be fascinated with the dark side of our natures.

Everyone has one whether they like to believe it or not - after all deep down we are all still essentially the brutal naked ape that conquered the planet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our very Humanity means that we will always be fascinated with the dark side of our natures.

Everyone has one whether they like to believe it or not - after all deep down we are all still essentially the brutal naked ape that conquered the planet.

I agree, we all like morbid even if we do have different limits. So why do we feel guilty about it? Is it still a taboo to admit we want to look into this stuff because we're supposed to be too civilised for it?
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me, I was reading about the Nazino affair a couple of months ago, which I'd never heard about before. Ol' Joseph and his gang were wrong uns alright.

Very nasty, definitely wrong uns,twisted.
  • TweenyTweeny Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    I have recently started watching the beheadings and tortures by Isis and am ashamed to say that I can't stop myself from watching these. The cruelty towards innocent victims and the victims' helplessness disturbs me so much that I can't stop thinking about it and is making me quite depressed. Like others have said before, mainstream media seems like children's tv compared to what's happening in reality.
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tweeny wrote: »
    I have recently started watching the beheadings and tortures by Isis and am ashamed to say that I can't stop myself from watching these. The cruelty towards innocent victims and the victims' helplessness disturbs me so much that I can't stop thinking about it and is making me quite depressed. Like others have said before, mainstream media seems like children's tv compared to what's happening in reality.

Why watch it then? What do you expect to feel when watching these sort of things? You are giving those animals an audience and ghoulishly lapping up what is essentially a snuff movie. Shame on you!
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. For myself, the most fascinating stories are the ones where the perpetrator was just the guy next door and no one thought anything was amiss. We grow up thinking the 'bogeyman' is some weirdo hermit type who is socially shunned; it can feel very disconcerting when someone 'normal' turns out to be a bad person because it makes us question our assumptions and wonder if we too could be that way.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    Why watch it then? What do you expect to feel when watching these sort of things? You are giving those animals an audience and ghoulishly lapping up what is essentially a snuff movie. Shame on you!

Or it brings home the full reality of what is happening in the world.

Sometimes people hear about horrific things on the news, accompanied by sanitised pictures and videos. They're then left thinking that the horrific event isn't actually that bad because they didn't see the full reality of it.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »
    What channel is that on never hear of that one.

It's on the CI channel. A retired detecitve, Joe Kenda, talks through loads of his old investigations. Not sure when it's shown, I catch it every now and then, but they may have old ones on On Demand on Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On The Essex Boys thing, web searches don't seem to bring up much, just the gruesome pics. I read there's a couple of films and books. Any recommendations?
  • TweenyTweeny Posts: 283
    Forum Member

I can't explain why I watch them. It's just that morbid fascination with something that one knows is not healthy yet one follows it. Watching theses videos however, has given me an insight into what really is happening whilst Governments the world over are sleeping and ignoring the horrific reality fast creeping upon innocent people caught up in the nightmarish situation.:cry::cry::cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    On The Essex Boys thing, web searches don't seem to bring up much, just the gruesome pics. I read there's a couple of films and books. Any recommendations?

Essex Boys
    Rise of the Footsoilders
    The Fall of the Essex Boys
    Bonded by Blood

Fall of Essex boys and Bonded by Blood have a lot of the same people in

I quite enjoyed them all

Search Tucker, Tate & Rolfe that should bring some stuff up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Or it brings home the full reality of what is happening in the world.

Sometimes people hear about horrific things on the news, accompanied by sanitised pictures and videos. They're then left thinking that the horrific event isn't actually that bad because they didn't see the full reality of it.

Oh come on you don't nee to watch a snuff video of someone having their head sawn off to grasp the horrors of what's happening in this world!
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I really don't understand how anyone can watch videos like that. They have been beheading children too haven't they - please tell me you haven't watched those. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Essex Boys
    Rise of the Footsoilders
    Bonded by Blood

I quite enjoyed them all

Thank you :) That might keep me busy for a little while.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member

When I was about 15 and my older sister was studying criminology at uni she introduced me to rotten.com and I became pretty addicted to it for lack of a better word. It terrified me and I was always shaking afterwards.

Don't let it affect you, step away from the screen as it can really mess with your mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Essex Boys
    Rise of the Footsoilders
    Bonded by Blood

I quite enjoyed them all

All the above, also search Steele and Wholmes, Rettendon murders and Range Rover murders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the above, also search Steele and Wholmes, Rettendon murders and Range Rover murders.

I've searched on those last two, I got the results I mentioned. It's frustrating because I know the story is there somewhere :)

ETA: Forgot my manners. Thank you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fascinated by a lot of morbid topics. I have absolutely no desire to inflict pain on people or see anyone in pain, but I'm fascinated by torture methods and the cruel things people do to each other. I read extreme horror and it amazes me how the authors can come up with such inventive ways to inflict pain on their characters.

I also really like reading about unsolved mysteries and weird or extreme crimes: serial killers, cannibals and the like.

Old medical "treatments" are often both very interesting and very, very disturbing.

At the same time as fascinating me, it horrifies and often upsets me.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The story that always intrigues me is that of Armin Meiwes, a German man that wanted to eat another human and advertised for a victim on the Internet.

He had many willing applicants before he found his victim.

One of the most interesting facts is that prior to him actually achieving his mission, a previous applicant actually came to his house but at the last moment decided that he no longer wanted to go through with it. So they watched 'Ocean's Eleven' instead.

What I find facsinating about it all is what must have been going through their heads.