Options

European Swimming Championships Berlin 2014

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see the GB swimmers pushing on from the Commonwealth Games, hopefully the squad can continue to develop through to Rio.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Lowe is the weak link in the mixed relay. But she did surprisingly well.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,034
    Forum Member
    Another gold!
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Good to see the GB swimmers pushing on from the Commonwealth Games, hopefully the squad can continue to develop through to Rio.

Even more impressive in that a few good swimmers are not in Berlin. Hannah Miley is taking a break after Glasgow (should be at Short course worlds in Dec) and one of our major gold threats, O'Connor in the 200IM, is sick (glandular fever). It's difficult to peak for two consecutive meets like this at your top level especially for those that do a traditional taper. The British men are collectively setting the world standard in Breaststroke right now. Murdoch should have an interesting encounter with Gyurta and Koch in the 200. My money would be on Murdoch right now.

Edit: Two golds in one session for Adam and Christopher. Can't remember the last time that's happened at ECs for UK swimmers. I believe that's a first.
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    changed from UK to Italy at the last second in the comp >:(
  • Options
    alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOLD for Great Britain in the mixed relay! by a considerable margin as well, and a world record! though this is a new event, probably won't be long before that record is broken.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,034
    Forum Member
    I guess the Aussies and USA would easily be the top 2 in such a relay if they were involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alexjones wrote: »
    GOLD for Great Britain in the mixed relay! by a considerable margin as well, and a world record! though this is a new event, probably won't be long before that record is broken.

Yeah it is brand new event. However, I like it a lot. It involves a lot more strategy than the other relays. Although in this case it was a no brainer who the British legs would be. Although they may have been tempted to put Barrett and Taylor in there since they were rested. If they had I think we still may have won, assuming they could replicate their Glasgow swims. But the best 4 were chosen with the in form swimmers.
    Mark F wrote: »
    I guess the Aussies and USA would easily be the top 2 in such a relay if they were involved.

Right now on recent form it would probably be 1. USA 2. Australia 3. Japan

However, I think Britain could medal at World Champs next year with O'Connor in the women's medley relay. So the relays are definitely looking up! The only thing missing for the men's MR is a freestyle leg (but they still beat Australia at Commies).
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When was the last time we won 3 golds in one night at a European Championships?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When was the last time we won 3 golds in one night at a European Championships?

Never.

Most medals in one session I believe too. Will have to check though. Although there are some relatively new events, like the stroke sprint 50s (fly, back, and breast) as well as the new mixed medley relay. But in a European context, this is as good as we've ever looked. Part of is that Germany, Italy, and Russia are not as strong. Hungary, of the traditional powers, is still fairly strong. France and Denmark (for the women) are relatively new powerhouses in the sport.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think swimmers will do that well this week.

Oh ye of little faith! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not much of a swimming fan, but 3 golds, 2 silvers and 2 bronze, with a medal in every single final, strikes me as a pretty good reply to those people who were saying the Commonwealths were easy. The BBC must be kicking themselves that they have stuck this away on the Red Button, with only a BBC2 highlights roundup on Monday afternoon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB up to second on the medals table, which includes all the syncro and open water from last week. Surely we can't do it in both swimming and athletics in consecutive weeks!

http://www.bln2014.de/competition/medal-count/?lang=en
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GB up to second on the medals table, which includes all the syncro and open water from last week. Surely we can't do it in both swimming and athletics in consecutive weeks!

http://www.bln2014.de/competition/medal-count/?lang=en

Fingers crossed that we do though :D
  • Options
    spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic performances from the Brits today. British swimming so desperately needed to take a big step forward and it looks as if it's done exactly that. Great stuff.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't get to see any of it but sounds like a great night for Team GB.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are people in this thread only interested in UK Swimmers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »

Yes. It is a boring sport except when British swimmers are winning, and at the Olympics. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. It is a boring sport except when British swimmers are winning, and at the Olympics. ;-)

Haha. I kinda like it tbh. For me more fun when surprises like Serbian guy in 400 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italian guy murdered them in the 1500 :kitty:
  • Options
    alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bronze for pavoni, what a great race.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

looks like it :kitty:
    there were some good races tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another gold for Serbian guy. Biedermann not too happy about it.

Also Hosszu was amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK have a chance of medals in 5 races today
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another gold for Serbian guy. Biedermann not too happy about it.

Was that the crazy close finish? Thought the German guy had made it but he mucked up the touch.