Who are the top 10 most famous people ever?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Jesus? I thought we were talking real people not fictional.

The existence of Jesus is nearly 100% agreed upon. Whether he was a mad man or people made up complete crap about him is another matter, but he almost certainly did exist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    Shakespeare has to be on there.

No. Shakespeare was an annoying little shit who ruined english lessons for me.

And his plays were crap! J.K. Rowling. Now there's a bloody good writer. If it wasn't for her, we would never have been gifted with Draco Malfoy's beautiful features (well, only in the latest film).
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJ_lives wrote: »
    No. Shakespeare was an annoying little shit who ruined english lessons for me.

And his plays were crap! J.K. Rowling. Now there's a bloody good writer. If it wasn't for her, we would never have been gifted with Draco Malfoy's beautiful features (well, only in the latest film).

hahahaha oh dear.

i cant imagine rowling being a particular renowned figure in 500 years.
    Forum Member
    Anyway, I've just been studying a picture of Jesus on the cross. He was quite fit. Had a very average chest. Not worth worshipping though. I think maybe either Brandon Flowers or Matt Bellamy deserve to be worshipped like that though. They are just other words for sex. I've seen shirtless pictures of them both. Admittedly, Flowers has the superior chest, but Matt Bellamy has an aura of power about him. And he's British. And his face is just WOW. Especially in the videos for Uprising and Undisclosed Desires. He's getting better with age, that one.

Anyway, I really do think that in say, 500 years time, they'll have replaced Jesus on the cross with Harry Potter on the cross. I really do believe that. And rather than study the Bible in RE lessons, they will study the Harry Potter books, and Harry's suffering, and the call, cost and mission of members of the DA.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hah well at least potter doesnt have all those chapters on family history. nor does it have an issue with gay people so it might be an improvement.

still, i'd i think shakespeare has more to offer in describing human existence than potter does.....

i wonder if the bible was a bit more of a thrilling read and had less of those chapters reciting boring laws and family histories would christianity have even more followers.
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    hah well at least potter doesnt have all those chapters on family history. nor does it have an issue with gay people so it might be an improvement.

still, i'd i think shakespeare has more to offer in describing human existence than potter does.....

i wonder if the bible was a bit more of a thrilling read and had less of those chapters reciting boring laws and family histories would christianity have even more followers.

The equivalent of God in Harry Potter is gay, so it's happiness and love all round <3

Anyway, I know what I'm about to say will ruffle a few feathers, but, IMO, the Bible is the biggest load of bollocks going. And this is coming from a practising Catholic! (My mother maked me attend church....) There is no way Jesus could reawake the dead. Unless he had the resurrection stone, it would have been impossible. And even then, the resurrected would not have been worth keeping alive. There is a similarity with HP and the Bible though, and that is the protagonist rose from the dead.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    sulla??!? you think? more so than augustus, cicero or pompey? but moses and napoleon - good call.

I guess I am a bit biased. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    Heres a link to the list of the top 10 most influential figures in history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100

And here the top 100: http://www.adherents.com/adh_influ.html

I know that Lost and the Simpsons are very popular tv shows but I didn't realise they were that popular. :eek:
    44 John Locke

98 Homer

:D
  • Jackboy18Jackboy18 Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Jesus
    2. Michael Jackson
    3. Mohammed Ali
    4. The Queen
    5. Elvis Presley
    6. Martin Luther King.
    7. Hitler
    8. John Lennon
    9. Ghandi
    10. Kevin Webster from Coronation Street
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'd go with:

1. Jesus of Nazareth [Judea]
    2. St Paul [Judea/Rome]
    3. Mohammed [Middle East]
    4. The Beatles [Great Britain]
    5. Queen Victoria [Great Britain]
    6. Sir Isaac Newton [Great Britain]
    7. Sir Francis Drake [Great Britain]
    8. Franklin D Roosevelt [United States]
    9. Bill Gates [United States]
    10. Adolf Hitler [Nazi Germany]

I think the Middle East and us Brits have done quite well, though ask a Russian or a Greek and I guess their list would be very different. ;)
  • jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread would be better re-titled: "Who were the top 10 most famous people ever for the western world?".

The Beatles would be excluded because they are not a person.

You couldn't judge the list by thinking about what people would say now in a survey, because that would only extend to what people thought over the last 3 generations, not ever.

On that basis, Sulla's list seems the most accurate, reflecting that it is fame over distance and not by population count.
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 - Adam (First man)
    2 - Eve (First Woman)
    3 - Moses (Escaped Egypt)
    4 - Abraham/Ibrahim (Head of the Abrahamic Faiths of Judaism, Christianity & Islam)
    5 - Jesus (Head of Christianity)
    6 - Mohammed (Head of Islam)
    7 - Buddah (Head of Buddhism)
    8 - Hitler (Famous Mass Murderer)
    9 - Mao (Known to everyone in China and the Commie areas of SE Asia)
    10 - The Queen (Head of the Commonwealth)

Bubbling under Gandhi, Noah, Lenin & Stalin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The equivalent of God in Harry Potter is gay, so it's happiness and love all round <3

Anyway, I know what I'm about to say will ruffle a few feathers, but, IMO, the Bible is the biggest load of bollocks going. And this is coming from a practising Catholic! (My mother maked me attend church....) There is no way Jesus could reawake the dead. Unless he had the resurrection stone, it would have been impossible. And even then, the resurrected would not have been worth keeping alive. There is a similarity with HP and the Bible though, and that is the protagonist rose from the dead.

You can't call the Bible the biggest load of bollocks going because you think Lazarus would have looked a bit shit after his death. It is one of the world's great libraries, and almost the only substantial work from some of the periods covered. Where else would you find creation myths (two of), ancient history, fairy tales, love poetry, subversion, law books, tribal rites, nature poems, heroic deeds, moral teaching (good, bad, ugly and wondrous), ethical discussions and surrealistic apocalyptic visions all neatly bound in one volume? Free in that hotel drawer? Open it up and marvel.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,870
    Forum Member
    My list in no particular order.....

1. Mahatma Ghandi
    2. William Shakespeare
    3. Princess Diana
    4. Adolf Hitler
    5. Saddam Hussein
    6. Henry VIII
    7. Mother Teresa
    8. Elizabeth I
    9. Florence Nightingale
    10. Eva Peron
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 - Adam (First man)
    2 - Eve (First Woman)
    3 - Moses (Escaped Egypt)
    4 - Abraham/Ibrahim (Head of the Abrahamic Faiths of Judaism, Christianity & Islam)
    5 - Jesus (Head of Christianity)
    6 - Mohammed (Head of Islam)
    7 - Buddah (Head of Buddhism)
    8 - Hitler (Famous Mass Murderer)
    9 - Mao (Known to everyone in China and the Commie areas of SE Asia)
    10 - The Queen (Head of the Commonwealth)

Bubbling under Gandhi, Noah, Lenin & Stalin.
    My favourite choice is "The Queen". :D

The synopsis for Noah must be - Escaped a world flood with 2 of every animal.

Can't believe he didn't make the top 10.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Seeing as so many dubious or fictional characters are being mentioned, here's my list -

Homer Simpson.
    Superman.
    Batman.
    Spiderman.
    Tintin.
    Fred Flintstone.
    Pink Panther.
    Top Cat.
    Tom.....
    .....and Jerry.

(OK, so the last 4 are animals and not people!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as so many dubious or fictional characters are being mentioned, here's my list -

Homer Simpson.
    Superman.
    Batman.
    Spiderman.
    Tintin.
    Fred Flintstone.
    Pink Panther.
    Top Cat.
    Tom.....
    .....and Jerry.

(OK, so the last 4 are animals and not people!)
    2 of the others are based around animals....
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    jrio wrote: »
    2 of the others are based around animals....

....but do have 'man' in their names.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....but do have 'man' in their names.
    That's super, man, just super! :D
    Forum Member
    You can't call the Bible the biggest load of bollocks going because you think Lazarus would have looked a bit shit after his death. It is one of the world's great libraries, and almost the only substantial work from some of the periods covered. Where else would you find creation myths (two of), ancient history, fairy tales, love poetry, subversion, law books, tribal rites, nature poems, heroic deeds, moral teaching (good, bad, ugly and wondrous), ethical discussions and surrealistic apocalyptic visions all neatly bound in one volume? Free in that hotel drawer? Open it up and marvel.

Oh believe me I've tried. I had to revise the whole of Mark's shitty little gospel for my RE GCSE last year. Such a waste of time. Though reading through Leviticus' Laws of the Unclean was a good way to pass an otherwise suicide inducing RE lesson. It was funny, all this nonsense about God hating those who shag sheep and goats and crocodiles etc.

I mean animals.

And er, Harry Potter? Okay, it's seven volumes, but still, they teach us a lot about life.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Well I would say at least a couple of them are imaginary!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh believe me I've tried. I had to revise the whole of Mark's shitty little gospel for my RE GCSE last year. Such a waste of time. Though reading through Leviticus' Laws of the Unclean was a good way to pass an otherwise suicide inducing RE lesson. It was funny, all this nonsense about God hating those who shag sheep and goats and crocodiles etc.

I mean animals.
    Did you not have a choice in what subjects you studied:confused:
    And er, Harry Potter? Okay, it's seven volumes, but still, they teach us a lot about life.
    You think that Harry Potter is true to life?:o
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

You think that Harry Potter is true to life?:o

RE was compulsory. All those hours of my life I won't get back :(

And yes, Harry Potter is incredibly true to life. Voldemort killed the best looking guy in my year :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

I didn't get a choice but I went to a Roman Catholic School. Which is not a great thing when you have no religion, we had to sign a form at the beginning every year and I used to get strange looks every time people saw next to Religion mine had N/A :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    John Smith

He's the only one I've heard of. I think he had a sister called Jane.