Options

Daily Mail Interview with Jimmy Saville

Comments

• Options
    slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I'm wondering that too, there was a thread on here about a transcript from Have I Got News For You but someone said it was a fake.

Very odd.

That's a total urban myth. It never happened, the transcript is fake, the alleged court case did not happen and the people who were involved have repeatedly denied it happened but people still repeat it as if it's true when there is no evidence whatsoever that it did apart of rumours and plenty of evidence which points to it being entirely untrue.
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    No doubting he's raised millions upon millions for for many causes. Similarly no doubting that he's a very strange person, and that there have been a lot of persistent whispers about him and his, um, 'preferences'.

I don't know anything about his charity work , I just know that he comes across as weird and I can't find any proof of how weird he is..yet.
    I wasn't around in the 70's but surely kids found him creepy? He looks like something from Dr Who or Scooby Doo with that strange brightly coloured hair.
    I am slightly scared of blonde men though:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    No doubting he's raised millions upon millions for for many causes. Similarly no doubting that he's a very strange person, and that there have been a lot of persistent whispers about him and his, um, 'preferences'.

He's odd, he's arrogant and he's annoying but the things that have been said about him are purely rumours with no evidence to back them up whatsoever, to be frank I think people who accept them unquestioningly as fact are extremely naive and impressionable and probably belived the Daily Sport when it said there was a Spitfire on the moon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthy wrote: »
    Sorry, but does anyone have anything concrete about this 'unsavoury' stuff? Again, not a fan, just wondering.

No, nobody does. They're just repeating internet rumours.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 8 years ago I used to work in a place where he came in regularly. He would behave oddly, running around and making a show of himself to the other patrons and was a bit of a nuisance, being 'the star' and expecting people to want autographs and photos but nothing disturbing or anything like that.

I was the only man working at this place at the time and was fairly new there. When the 4 women sharing my job (aged about 25-50) found out he was coming in there was a collective cry of 'Oh God, not Jimmy' - apparently he had a habit of being 'flirty' - and let's face it, few women would enjoy being given 'the moves' by the Saville.

Anyway, I was asked to be the one to deal with him. I just treat him like any other bloke, dealt with him politely, and he was polite in return - in fact he was a bit subdued after that. I can imagine if he's encouraged he can be a real pain in the arse, but other than that my impression was just that of an eccentric but well-meaning old man.

He's done some exemplary charity work, especially for the city of Leeds. Yes he's a bit odd, but I'd say the fact that no one's unveiled any particular 'nastiness' in all this time means he should be given the benefit of the doubt r.e. any seedier allegations.
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I agree.

It's like people are determined to believe the rumours because he's a bit odd.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadyCake wrote: »
    I don't know anything about his charity work , I just know that he comes across as weird and I can't find any proof of how weird he is..yet.
    I wasn't around in the 70's but surely kids found him creepy? He looks like something from Dr Who or Scooby Doo with that strange brightly coloured hair.
    I am slightly scared of blonde men though:o

I grew up in the 70s and 80s (when JS was on TV a lot) and it honestly never occured to me that he was weird. When I see clips of his 70s/80s TV appearances now, he does come across as weird to me. Perhaps in part because of all the rumours (which I had no knowledge of back in the day). Remember, the 70s/80s was the era of Glam Rock, Punk and Disco, so it wasn't unusual to see odd looking people on TV!:D

I've heard all these rumours, but I've yet to see any concrete proof. It's all "I heard that..." or "Someone told me that they know someone who...". Never any first hand accounts. There's no doubt that JS is odd, but I honestly think that if these rumours carried any weight, someone would have gotten proof by now and it would be public knowledge.
  • Options
    TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So long as Mr Savile is on this planet, there will be no unsavoury facts reported about the man.....
    Also, the other names present on that fabricated HIGNFY transcript exist nowhere else in any other capacity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    Also, the other names present on that fabricated HIGNFY transcript exist nowhere else in any other capacity.

No sure what you're getting at but the most obvious logic would be because it is a made up name in a fabricated script.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vivadiva wrote: »
    But why would he insist lawyers demand the said picture (which I have seen) be removed from sites, rather than just explain the confusion?

Well, it's not like a celebrity ever had their reputation ruined by the repeating of unsubstantiated claims about their 'preferences', is it.....?
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HIGNFY transcript is fake.

The Jersey photo is not a fake.

I have no idea if the rumours are true, but in my opinion there is something not right about the man.

If this thread is here in a few hours, I'll be surprised. :D
  • Options
    ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    I grew up in the 70s and 80s (when JS was on TV a lot) and it honestly never occured to me that he was weird. When I see clips of his 70s/80s TV appearances now, he does come across as weird to me. Perhaps in part because of all the rumours (which I had no knowledge of back in the day). Remember, the 70s/80s was the era of Glam Rock, Punk and Disco, so it wasn't unusual to see odd looking people on TV!:D

I've heard all these rumours, but I've yet to see any concrete proof. It's all "I heard that..." or "Someone told me that they know someone who...". Never any first hand accounts. There's no doubt that JS is odd, but I honestly think that if these rumours carried any weight, someone would have gotten proof by now and it would be public knowledge.

There was a similar rumour posted on DS a few months back about Terry Scott which turned out to be of "my mate down the pub told me he saw it on the internet" variety which was a load of b**s*** and I think this thread is heading the same way.:mad:

If people posting on here have any proof of their allegations why not post them? "Publish and be damned" as the saying goes! I bet they don't!
  • Options
    FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check the cellar.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll all come out when he passes.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinman wrote: »

And he's 84 now, so it won't be long.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Mariaella wrote: »
    People choose to believe the rumours because of his eccentricity. If the rumours aren't true, it's so cruel.

Agreed.

I'd be highly surprised if any of the rumours posted here (about him or anyone) or anonymously tipped to the national press no questions asked had even the remotest truth to them, started by random gossips on the internet, you have to be more than a bit gullible to take any of them seriously.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    parthy wrote: »
    Sorry, but does anyone have anything concrete about this 'unsavoury' stuff? Again, not a fan, just wondering.

Nope, it's all hearsay and most probably nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aja wrote: »
    There was a similar rumour posted on DS a few months back about Terry Scott which turned out to be of "my mate down the pub told me he saw it on the internet" variety which was a load of b**s*** and I think this thread is heading the same way.:mad:

If people posting on here have any proof of their allegations why not post them? "Publish and be damned" as the saying goes! I bet they don't!

Yep, see also Steven Gerrard rumours which have been doing the round for years and have been attributed to several different footballers including Ian Rush in the past. It reallyw as that long ago they started going round about various footballers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinman wrote: »

Yeah right - you think the media waits while people are dead to knock people off a pedestal? 'Oh we'll just wait out his 60+ year career, then we'll reveal all'.

It's not like the British public relishes any opportunity to 'bring someone down a peg or two'...
  • Options
    Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Yeah right - you think the media waits while people are dead to knock people off a pedestal? 'Oh we'll just wait out his 60+ year career, then we'll reveal all'.

It's not like the British public relishes any opportunity to 'bring someone down a peg or two'...

Most of the alleged stuff is pretty bad, not just a case of knocking someone off a pedestal.

I'd imagine it will come out after he dies, if only because you can't libel the dead.
  • Options
    KeelbootsKeelboots Posts: 1,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe some posters can write these alledged happenings? I haven't heard them.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Jersey thing is the real deal, and the only reason he's been protected over it is because of his Papal knighthood and the fact that he knew Pope John Paul II, then that is pretty disturbing.

It would put a huge blight on his extensive charity work too because it would then suggest that all his hard work in that area was something he HAD to do in exchange for his protection, much like the McCanns being saved by the British government but then having to work for them and the media as the payback.

It's all rumours though, speculation, theories. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keelboots wrote: »
    Maybe some posters can write these alledged happenings? I haven't heard them.

Ask anyone who works at St James hospital in Leeds...... they have plenty to say about this "charitable" slightly eccentric weirdo!:mad: My grandad was down the pits for years and then went to work as a porter at Jimmy's when he he developed a mild lung disease. Whenever he heard the name JS mentioned, he would spit, much like he did when he heard anything about the Japanese (he was a POW in WWII in Burma). All my grandad would ever tell me is that JS was a nasty man and I didn't need to know the rest.:(
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask anyone who works at St James hospital in Leeds...... they have plenty to say about this "charitable" slightly eccentric weirdo!:mad: My grandad was down the pits for years and then went to work as a porter at Jimmy's when he he developed a mild lung disease. Whenever he heard the name JS mentioned, he would spit, much like he did when he heard anything about the Japanese (he was a POW in WWII in Burma). All my grandad would ever tell me is that JS was a nasty man and I didn't need to know the rest.:(

So, yet more gossip and innuendo.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    So, yet more gossip and innuendo.:rolleyes:

Yep, still nothing but rumour.