Options

odd / inappropriate gifts you've received

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With my birthday and Christmas around the corner, it's the time of year I, like most people get gifts. Just looking for good stories on odd or inappropriate gifts you've received before!

Mine was from a friend of at that point 19 years, we were both 28. She got me a fleece jumper / sweatshirt from the Disney Store, with Winnie the Pooh and all his friend embroidered in a circle around the bottom. I was dumbfounded. Cutesy stuff is so not me, never has been, never will be. I took it back but could only get store credit and it was $75! I did make an effort to find anything I wanted from the Disney Store but honestly, nothing (had no children to buy for then). I decided to keep it and it was in the boot of my car in a bag until one day I needed something warm and put it on. I of course was blushing with embarassment as I didn't really want to put out the image I am a big Disney fan but turned out it was really cozy. I still have it but only wear it around the house as I'm too embarrased otherwise!

Comments

• Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A cuckoo cigarette holder from a great uncle. I was 7 years old.

A revolting green cashmere jumper from my mum a couple of years ago. It had almost certainly been given to her as a gift too - I still can't believe she actually thought I'd like it.

Earrings from my stepmother. I haven't worn earrings since I was 12. I had to give them to my mum.
  • Options
    The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    :DA television bought by a neighbour who realised I only had a small portable in my lounge, the next day a television, flat screen, freeview the works was delivered.:confused:
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My gran bought me a huge book on medieval torture. It had loads of horrible illustrations and descriptions. I though it was an odd thing to buy your grandson!
  • Options
    Jackboy18Jackboy18 Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends received a penis pump from a girl in our class that I believe had a crush on him.
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an ex bought me a book of the complete scripts from seinfield for valentines one year.

It wasn't even a show i really liked that much - he did tho!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pack of padded coat hangers from my mum when I was 16....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a girl whose mum is batshit when it comes to presents, almost deliberately. It was her brother's 20-somethingth birthday a while back and he had to sign for a package while his girlfriend was round, and he warned her "this is probably from mum, and so it's also probably something insane." He pulled out a dinner bell. I'm not even really sure what a dinner bell is.

Apparently the same brother was given, for his 18th, a large, bad oil painting of two extremely sinister bus conductors.

Once while backpacking round Europe she told her mum that she didn't care what she got for her birthday as long as it wasn't bulky or heavy. Hey presto, one set of iron throwing horseshoes.

:confused:
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    An AKS-74.
  • Options
    SpoonfedVomitSpoonfedVomit Posts: 2,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    An AKS-74.

Lovely :cool:
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Lovely :cool:

Yeah it is, but I can't use it as it's in the States. :mad:
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goonst wrote: »
    I know a girl whose mum is batshit when it comes to presents, almost deliberately. It was her brother's 20-somethingth birthday a while back and he had to sign for a package while his girlfriend was round, and he warned her "this is probably from mum, and so it's also probably something insane." He pulled out a dinner bell. I'm not even really sure what a dinner bell is.

Apparently the same brother was given, for his 18th, a large, bad oil painting of two extremely sinister bus conductors.

Once while backpacking round Europe she told her mum that she didn't care what she got for her birthday as long as it wasn't bulky or heavy. Hey presto, one set of iron throwing horseshoes.

:confused:

I really really want to see this painting.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received a nose and ear hair trimmer last year from a mate. Thankfully I don't have a problem with errant hairs in either of those places, so should I put it by for my old age?
  • Options
    TenpeTenpe Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received a book entitled:

'HOW TO DRINK ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING'

I'm teetotal.:eek::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will no doubt get battered as I always do on here when I tell a true story - what the hell. I was in hospital after a fire and asked a friend of the same size if she could bring me some clothes. She did, various items with advertising logos - nothing that I would have worn in a million years. I remain grateful to her to this day.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not as crazy as some of the stories here (I like the dinner bell :D ) but my brother bought me Pretty Woman, The Guru and American Pie on DVD for my 18th birthday.
    1. I've never expressed an interest in any of those films
    2. I really hate Julia Roberts
    3. Why buy your younger sister sex-related films for her 18th? :confused:

I'm convinced it was just because they were 3 for £18 in Virgin and it appealed to the mathematician (and tightwad) in him.

Also had a creepy china doll for Christmas when I was about 7.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, really strange but my mum always buys my sons a tin of biscuits for Christmas! I think it's a nanna thing.:confused:

My sister-in-law bought me a notebook one year. She left the price on it. It was 99p.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Well my mum bought me a barbie doll when I was 8 or something, purely because she wanted some hair to play with (funnily enough neither me or my brother like having our hair plaited or put in pony tails)
  • Options
    charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missy83 wrote: »
    I really really want to see this painting.
    So do I. In fact I want it.
  • Options
    D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago, when we were little, my mum's mate bought her daughter's teacher underwear for her Christmas present when all the other kids were getting her chocolate, book vouchers, etc... :D

Poor kid was mortified! At that age there is nothing more embarrassing!
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a very strange relative who I never really saw, and who unfortunately died recently, bless her. But she periodically would send me gifts.

For Christmas a couple of years ago she sent me a lockable diary. It was quite pretty, but unfortunately she neglected to include the key.

About 5 years she sent me a china doll of Princess Diana.

Apparently Diana was supposed to be wearing some nice jewellery that matched the dress she was wearing, but this lady had included a note telling me I hadn't recieved the fake jewellery incase it is worth something someday and she could sell it (without the doll :confused: )

Oh and the year I got my unlockable diary, my Mum got a book on the many uses of Vinegar.
  • Options
    Lennie59Lennie59 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    An AKS-74.

Are you the son of a despotic tyrant?
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So do I. In fact I want it.

Prepare for a fight then!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I lost my right arm in an accident and somebody got me a Pirates Hook for Secret Santa a few years back.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost my right arm in an accident and somebody got me a Pirates Hook for Secret Santa a few years back.

That really made me LOL. Sorry bestservedcold! :o
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My aunt once gave me a really itchy woolly cardigan (I guess the type she herself might wear) when I was younger and I'm allergic to wool so I couldn't wear it. It went straight to the charity shop. I also got a hideous green floral dress from someone who didn't know us very well. She didn't realise that I hardly wore dresses (and still don't).