iPad 3 announcement

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just seen this on the breaking news - does anyone else think that it has the potential to be a bit of a let-down?

It would seem that up to the iPad 2, Apple really did hold the crown when it came to smartphones and tablets.

But with the likes of Samsung, HTC and Asus coming on in leaps and bounds to produce technology well in excess in terms of quality and performance than Apple, they're going to have to come up with something special.

Comments

• SchnableSchnable Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this one do Flash?
  • daz_fdaz_f Posts: 6,642
    Forum Member
    Schnable wrote: »
    Will this one do Flash?

nope just aint gonna happen
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will this one do Flash?

Yawn :yawn:
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's not a quad core device it will be an also ran as Huawei have launched a quad core tablet wih lots more connectivity and a user replaceable battery that is not only HSPA+ enabled but also supports LTE.

Apple have to deliver something better to justify their high pricing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even I will be tempted to sell my iPad 2 if they increase the screen to the rumoured 2048×1536.. I won't hold my breathe though :D
  • daz_fdaz_f Posts: 6,642
    Forum Member
    If it's not a quad core device it will be an also ran as Huawei have launched a quad core tablet wih lots more connectivity and a user replaceable battery that is not only HSPA+ enabled but also supports LTE.

will still be getting one either way
    my ipad 2 is on ebay has we speak
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And a 2048×1536 display wouldn't justify that?...

Also the build quality difference between Apple and Huawei is night and day,
  • semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this one do Flash?

Ah ahhhhh..........!

Don't need it......BBC i player ok, sky go ok, itv, 4 on demand etc
    And a zillion other things....
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Will this one do Flash?

Why do you want it when there is many services that don't use it for mobile devices, HTLM5 is the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Why do you want it when there is many services that don't use it for mobile devices, HTLM5 is the future.

It's called Trolling...
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »

There's no DRM yet for HTML5, AFAIK. Many may hesitate to use HTML5 yet.
  • PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am counting the days - it was the same with the iPhone, wait until v3. The increased resolution will make a huge difference, add to that a bump in processor, and some actually decent cameras, and I'm in.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the CPU so cheap they have spend the money on something. (that half decent Chinese tablet had a BOM of $35!)
    I'm not even sure that the Asus 1080p tablet is needed either with streaming only viable at 720p or less. 1280 by 800 is maybe about right though photos will look nicer on the iPad 3 etc .

It will be impressive but is it required by the user?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yawn :yawn:

I agree, very boring of them not to do what 99.9% of websites actually used nowadays!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    It's called Trolling...

Oh dear! I post what millions around the world would ask and have been asking and you try and dismiss my post first with a yawn and then by calling me a troll.

Grow up and smell reality.
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Can't wait to see what it comes with. I'm definitely getting one of them... either an iPad 2 or a 3. Have had my eye on iPad 2 for a while, so if this is better and similar price, I'm getting it. Not queing at the store though!
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But with the likes of Samsung, HTC and Asus coming on in leaps and bounds to produce technology well in excess in terms of quality and performance than Apple, they're going to have to come up with something special.

If you really want to boil it down to specs, then the iPad 2 is still comparable to high end Android tablets from the same year (e.g. the Tab 10.1).

Plus, of course, it isn't about specs anyway... Sales of the iPad versus sales of all other tablets combined suggest that the vast majority of tablet consumers simply don't give a monkey's about whatever it is that the competition has over the iPad, whether it is the openness of Android, better cameras, SD card slots, user replaceable batteries, or anything else.

The only non-Apple tablet to really be anything that you could call a success is the Kindle Fire... which isn't what some people would even call "a proper Android tablet", given that it runs a highly Amazon-customised fork of 2.x, plus it doesn't exactly have tech specs to write home about. What it does have is something that none of the other tablets have other than the iPad: the whole "ecosystem".

Next best selling non-Apple tablet would be the Galaxy Tab 10.1... which although still not a great deal compared to the iPad's sales has at least sold a hell of a lot more than its Android brothers have... [hello Moto]

Why? Again, it's not about the specs. Plus... how many people even know who or care Huawei is?

Apple has the brand, the image, and the ecosystem. Like it or not, that is what the majority of tablet consumers seem to care about, not whether something is quad-core or has Flash or is open or whatever.

As for pricing... All the high end non-Apple competition launched at the same price as the iPad 2... Galaxy Tab 10.1, Motorola Xoom, Sony Tablet S, HP TouchPad, RIM PlayBook... All but the Tab (and perhaps the Sony one - not seen numbers for that) failed at that price and had their prices slashed (in some cases repeatedly slashed, like the horrendously low-selling PlayBook, while of course the TouchPad was discontinued completely after a fire sale).

Apple don't need to "justify their high pricing". It doesn't seem to be an issue for most people buying tablets - it's the competition which can't survive at the same price.
    I agree, very boring of them not to do what 99.9% of websites actually used nowadays!

Adobe is abandoning Mobile Flash, and more and more websites/services are moving towards HTML5 and/or apps.

e.g.

iPlayer, TVCatchup, YouTube - HTML5 websites, dedicated apps

4oD, ITV Player, Demand Five, Sky Go, Netflix, Lovefilm - dedicated apps

Someone said in another thread that certain game sites are also moving to HTML5. What else do you need Flash for, apart from adverts, or those awful websites which use Flash for the interface?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad is currently only 1024 X 768 with most other high end tablets being a more decent 1280 by 800.

If this is the iPad 3 (it could be just a new quad core Apple TV) with high resolution display will they cheap out by using standard TFT?
    The reason being that higher resolution probably needs a fatter battery as does IPS. Maybe not in the hint amongst the billion rumours that iPad 3 is actually fatter.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    If you really want to boil it down to specs..

Erm, I wasn't. I said "quality and performance". Specs are irrelevant if the end result of a higher spec is not as good as the end result of a lower spec.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Oh dear! I post what millions around the world would ask and have been asking and you try and dismiss my post first with a yawn and then by calling me a troll.

Reality is that Flash is being used less and less. Most (decent) web companies now recommend avoiding Flash partly due to the Apple approach and massively due to SEO concerns.

Flash was great for what it did, but with Javascript and HTML 5 there is no real need for it now and any company that has hopes of achieving good search rankings and wide use across mobile platforms will now avoid Flash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I use my iPad all day and haven't came across any websites that need flash, that combined with the fact adobe have abandoned all mobile flash, it's dead in the water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm, I wasn't. I said "quality and performance". Specs are irrelevant if the end result of a higher spec is not as good as the end result of a lower spec.

Sorry.

What do you mean by "quality and performance" then?

How have "the likes of Samsung, HTC and Asus" come on in "leaps and bounds to produce technology well in excess in terms of quality and performance than Apple"
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Sorry.

What do you mean by "quality and performance" then?

How have "the likes of Samsung, HTC and Asus" come on in "leaps and bounds to produce technology well in excess in terms of quality and performance than Apple"

erm..... havent apple had quite a few quality issues themselves in recent years ???

they use cheap parts and use (very) cheap labour then polish it up and market it (very) well.

What scares me is that anyone would say "well im going to buy it anyway" about ANY product from ANY manufacturer without even knowing the specifications, the costs or even a REVIEW !?!

Thats not saying that its the best product, or high quality, or well priced. Thats just saying that you have bought into marketing hype..... and thats quite sad.

A fool and his money ........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but no one has said anything about quality issues.

I was asking Biffo how "the likes of Samsung, HTC and Asus" have come on in "leaps and bounds to produce technology well in excess in terms of quality and performance than Apple".
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what's with the hints about 'touch'? Are they going to revamp the interface dramatically?