Options

Black Mirror Series 2

Comments

• Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was rubbish, back to the BT ads then.. (which are rubbish aswell)
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I really liked that episode,

Am I alone?
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you see South Park at its height?

It was massive and really just cartoon characters being as smutty as possible.

I'm not sure when it's height was, but there's a lot more to it than just smutty jokes there's some great satire in there.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    Can't say I blame him... I get the feeling some posters on here would love to live in such a harsh and authoritarian world ;):(

Looked like the Chinese had taken over to me judging by the Chinese characters everywhere.
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we all knew that there is somthing deeply wrong with our political system, the fact that it is not engaging the majority of younger generations to vote and that a party could rise if they were able to connect with these people. Not a lot of thought gone in to this, and far too slow to be interesting.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed this week after enjoying the first two episodes.

A tiny fraction of those who like nob jokes might have gotten behind Waldo, but the vast majority of voters wouldn't have. He was a bit rubbish. Yeah, politicians are crap which is why a single issue independent can often make a limited difference. But Waldo didn't have anything going for him. He wasn't even funny.

And the ending? Really? World wide Waldo? A stretch too far.

But, on the plus side, Jason Flemyng is looking particularly hot. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I'm not sure when it's height was, but there's a lot more to it than just smutty jokes there's some great satire in there.

I'm a fan of decent satire, but to me that show is just cartoons with stupid voices making crude jokes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brewer480 wrote: »
    I think we all knew that there is somthing deeply wrong with our political system, the fact that it is not engaging the majority of younger generations to vote and that a party could rise if they were able to connect with these people. Not a lot of thought gone in to this, and far too slow to be interesting.

Young people aren't the biggest demographic though, that's actually older people.
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Is that High Wycombe?

Yes, ye gods I've spend many a night slumped in that tunnel under the flyover at the end!:o They CGI'ed the metropolis over the flyover though, it's actually just the side of the Swan theatre and some side streets.

I liked that ep, it got us talking.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did he just mean the bear to represent dumb satire? How we as a audience like to just criticise politicians rather than engage?

It's slightly more deep than I thought, but still boring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    I'm a fan of decent satire, but to me that show is just cartoons with stupid voices making crude jokes.

There was a lot of good satire in there. Sometimes just silliness or poking fun. But often both - like the 'Dances with Smurfs' episode. One of my favourites:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

There's a few episodes like that but the majority are satires on current events (and quite a bit of libertarianism to piss off the left-wing PC types as well).
  • Options
    MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    That was a poor episode, a shame after two very well made shows in the previous weeks.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As someone said earlier its a bit more than that.
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Young people aren't the biggest demographic though, that's actually older people.

Young people turn older though, if they start getting most of the younger voters they will be more powerful in the longer term (which is what clearly happened). I think that's the point being made.
  • Options
    SeventeenSeventeen Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I just switched over to a HIGNFY repeat and they're just talking about someone dressed as a penguin running for MP and beating a lib-dem candidate. So not a far-fetched scenario.

But it wasn't a particularly entertaining episode. The other episodes presented a far more interesting premise. This was, as I said above, not really particularly strage or interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Young people turn older though, if they start getting most of the younger voters they will be more powerful in the longer term (which is what clearly happened). I think that's the point being made.

And most young people are stupid so bit Twitbook support and some insults. People get behind things online so quickly. Remember that Stop Kony crap about 12 months ago? That was nearly overnight.

Although the ending seemed unlikely, It's not out of the realms of possibility
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite sure what to make of that one!

At first I thought it was a definite, politicians are so out of touch with the people, the people will vote in a bear to make a point. Then I wondered if it was actually a critique of people who would vote in a bear! Or a criticism of politics as we know it. But the ending pretty much said they were all doing it for their own pockets, so you can't trust anyone! That maybe manipulation comes in all forms and some joke now controls the world. Maybe it was all of these and more that I just didn't get.

To me it was too wishy washy, seemingly not making any clear statement. Or maybe I'm being a bit thick :p

I thought the bloke who played Waldo though was good. Maybe I should've just stuck with saying that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Remember that woman who was the editor of Smash Hits and had a column in The Sun?

She went on Question Time once and answered almost every question with "As a young person..."

What happened to her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Except young people - most of whom would not have voted for Waldo anyway - grow up. Get jobs. Mortgages/Rent. Cars. Children. So they vote - if the vote - for the party that best represents their needs and beliefs. Waldo represents nothing - a protest vote. Which would be limited. Even to use him as political engineering - just destroying opposition so the 'right' party wins - would only work so far before a party started fighting back and the voting public catch on. And more importantly, it would only be so long before Waldo falls victim to the voter apathy that he uses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Remember that woman who was the editor of Smash Hits and had a column in The Sun?

She went on Question Time once and answered almost every question with "As a young person..."

What happened to her?

Got old?
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked that episode,

Am I alone?

Nope. I wish they'd done more with the Labour candidate but all in all Iit was an enjoyable hour :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the credits rolled I was reminded of the closing moments of Nathan Barley, then the credits stated it was originally an idea for Nathan Barley.

Loved Barley but wasn't a fan of this Black Mirror. Well acted by Daniel Rigby but Waldo just wasn't believable as a comedy character.
  • Options
    MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked the episode
    Is it just me that got an Avid Merrion "The Bear" vibe from Waldo?