Marvel's Agents of SHIELD on Ch4 (Use Spoiler Tags)

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    I think they'll pair Homeland and Masters of Sex/QUOTE]

Difficult to do that when premium cable shows have different episode lengths and with UK commercials added, they'll always run over the hour.

Homeland had some shorter episodes that only had three internal breaks and were in a 65m slot and others which had four breaks and were in 70m slots.

Not good to have a non-regular start time for the following programme.

Quite true. Assuming Homeland stays at Sunday 9 pm, I wonder where Channel 4 intends to put Masters Of Sex.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this gonna have a 22 episode order?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone know when its on ?
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeekTown's pointing towards the Friday 27th at 9pm during the week of the U.S. broadcast and the television reviewers I follow on twitter has said it'll be the end of September so that will fit.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Friday September 27th at 8pm, only three days after the premiere in the States

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/09/channel-4-sets-uk-premiere-date-for-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d/
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8pm on a Friday... not sure how I feel about that.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just reading an article (New York Times LINK) on this and was shocked to learn that the first episodes cost $12 million to produce! That's insane! I hope we actually see the result of that crazy budget onscreen.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't surprise me actually. The premiered New Girl in the same slot, only to take it off for a couple of months and relaunch it on E4 when they didn't get the ratings. Could certainly see this going the same way ..

Saw this ..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s227/agents-of-shield/news/a513397/marvels-agents-of-shield-can-never-use-x-men-says-exec-producer.html

I can appreciate the rights issue regarding the X-Men, but I think they shouldn't completely dismiss the Avengers side of things - it'll just seem daft.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I can appreciate the rights issue regarding the X-Men, but I think they shouldn't completely dismiss the Avengers side of things - it'll just seem daft.

I can think of two reasons and they both involve money.

The wages for any of the big stars in Avengers would pretty much wipe out any budget for an episode meaning they would be on screen so little it would end up being a blink and you will miss it moment - make appearances rare and you could make it longer and mean something.

The other thing is that keeping the Avengers to movies will mean that you are more likely to make the effort rather than waiting for them to appear on the small box in the corner of the room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Doesn't surprise me actually. The premiered New Girl in the same slot, only to take it off for a couple of months and relaunch it on E4 when they didn't get the ratings. Could certainly see this going the same way ..

Seriously? Can we not just get over this already.... New Girl is a show that works on E4, unless SHIELD is about bitchy teenagers and/or adults who act like children, it will not fit with the rest of E4's line up, so is unlikely to be moved (or at least unlikely to be moved to E4)...

Also, 3 days after the US is a fairly good shout, you have to give them that.

Maybe it's the editing but that C4 trailer does not look good...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the editing but that C4 trailer does not look good...

The main trouble I have with the trailer is that nearly a third of is devoted to footage from Avengers Assemble which, if the Avengers themselves won't be appearing in the show seems a bit silly
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't understand why that's even news :confused:

I would have thought that it was obvious, as it's already been stated before regarding The Avengers... of course the same principle will apply on the small screen: No X-Men (and also no Spider-Man, no Fantastic Four...)
    Forum Member
    Minion wrote: »
    Which they always fail to do, then refuse to pay the going rate for a hit series and bemoan the fact that the show has been "stolen" by Sky...

I'm a little concerned with this being on C4 though, as they haven't had a good track record with imports that they deem to be "family friendly". This usually means an earlier time slot and an over-use of the scissors.

Really? It couldn't possibly be that they are willing to pay the going rate and sky massively outbid them?

And C4 have been getting smart recently, so if it performs well I doubt it's going to Sky until at least season 3 (assuming it doesn't do a Firefly)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    make appearances rare and you could make it longer and mean something

I think this is why you might only ever get a chance of seeing something special in any season finale. but even then, they can't fall in to a trap of having an avenger in each season's finale each time as it'll just be far too cheesy and contrived.

I don't think it would be entirely out of the question to get someone though - I could certainly see Robery Downey Jr. making a cameo appearance as Tony Stark as a favour to someone. I just don't peg him as someone who would demand an A-List salary for just a few minutes on the small screen - although obviously I could be wrong.
    so is unlikely to be moved (or at least unlikely to be moved to E4)...

Like it or not, Channel 4 have a long and storied history of completely mismanaging US Imports. At the moment I have no reason to believe anything will change here - I'm quite happy to be proven wrong though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iron Man can easily make an appearance in my opinion, without RDJ.. all he has to be is suited
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like it or not, Channel 4 have a long and storied history of completely mismanaging US Imports. At the moment I have no reason to believe anything will change here - I'm quite happy to be proven wrong though.

Homeland is handled well as far as I can tell.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Friday September 27th at 8pm, only three days after the premiere in the States
    Doesn't surprise me actually. The premiered New Girl in the same slot, only to take it off for a couple of months and relaunch it on E4 when they didn't get the ratings. Could certainly see this going the same way

Jesus Christ do Ch4 never learn? Ever?! This is just dumb.

Fri at 8pm is an awful timeslot, especially being shown on a Friday of all days. Ch4 have tried this before with drama and it doesn't work and they're still doing it again!

What's wrong with a 8/9pm slot on a weekday which isn't a Friday? Also for an 8pm show i wonder if it will be edited for violence?

I'm shocked by this, i thought they would realise from their mistakes.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great that this had been bought so early, BUT...let's face the facts here.

It will likely be edited. 8pm? There is often minor violence (person on person), brief partial nudity, swear words (that aren't really swear words) that are edited from programs on at this time of night. I've seen people get punched (or not get punched as the case is) and mysteriously be on the floor, where clearly the punch has been cut. The repeats of Smallville were so edited it's scary. First viewings of Teen Wolf (BEFORE it got really violent) were quite edited too. Hot in Cleveland is basically unwatchable so many lines are cut. Channels should just show these programs at the time they're appropriate for and leave them alone.

Extra adverts.

Channel tag (forget if they do it or not).

Will likely downgrade at second season to "we'll show it whenever" or "we'll just let someone else buy the show" after they lose interest in the show.

Obviously I'd have preferred Sky1 to have bought it, but I guess this is a win for you terrestrial only viewers. I just know what Ch4 is like and will get the show elsewhere.
  • davies24davies24 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    What time is this being aired in the US? If ch4 are going to be editing episodes to fit in pre-watershed I'll just watch it online.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    davies24 wrote: »
    What time is this being aired in the US? If ch4 are going to be editing episodes to fit in pre-watershed I'll just watch it online.

It will air at 8 pm in the US, but US TV, even network TV, allows violence on 8 pm shows that would not be allowed pre-watershed in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, why don't we wait to see what C4 do before damning them? Imho it's great that the show has not been hidden away from the majority of UK television viewers.
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 are chasing family audiences, why would they put it on at 9PM? And I'd imagine this is an attempt to kickstart Friday nights which have been suffering post-Big Brother...

With New Girl it premiered uncut at 7:30PM, and then all pre-watershed repeats were cut. I'd imagine they'd do something similar with S.H.I.E.L.D., and I imagine S.H.I.E.L.D will be fairly mild anyway. Somehow I doubt it'll be anything like as strong as Arrow...
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was great that this had been bought so early, BUT...let's face the facts here.

It will likely be edited. 8pm? There is often minor violence (person on person), brief partial nudity, swear words (that aren't really swear words) that are edited from programs on at this time of night. I've seen people get punched (or not get punched as the case is) and mysteriously be on the floor, where clearly the punch has been cut. The repeats of Smallville were so edited it's scary. First viewings of Teen Wolf (BEFORE it got really violent) were quite edited too. Hot in Cleveland is basically unwatchable so many lines are cut. Channels should just show these programs at the time they're appropriate for and leave them alone.

Extra adverts.

Channel tag (forget if they do it or not).

Will likely downgrade at second season to "we'll show it whenever" or "we'll just let someone else buy the show" after they lose interest in the show.

Obviously I'd have preferred Sky1 to have bought it, but I guess this is a win for you terrestrial only viewers. I just know what Ch4 is like and will get the show elsewhere.
    varsas wrote: »
    Lol, why don't we wait to see what C4 do before damning them? Imho it's great that the show has not been hidden away from the majority of UK television viewers.

Like the last season of Torchwood, I will watch this at both USA & UK pace to see how badly it is cut over here & also to see it without the blasted adverts.
  • Des leaderDes leader Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I saw a 5 min clip of episode 1 last week at a Disney event and it was great. They've plowed a lot of money into effects which were of a high standard and some of the dialogue was totally Joss Whedon. A great fight scene, presumably introducing one of the agents in Paris and another of a man with powers (but presumably not in SHIELD, as he was hiding his face) saving a girl and landing heavily on the street (which is in the trailer). Really looking forward to this now. Roll on 2 weeks!