Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well chuffed. Love Claudia.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand she isn't everyone's cup of tea (though I find her delightful) so those who are posting about her presenting style annoying them I can accept.

Less so those who seem to object because they don't like her fringe! Or that she isn't a man! :o
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really understand this argument. Did you find Bruce fumbling over the autocue at a snail's rate whilst reeling off the most unfunny jokes imaginable more bearable than Claudia (who, by the way, will be doing Tess role as opposed to Bruce's)?
    Bruce fumbling over the autocue is on a par with the mumbling Claudia in my opinion but Bruce at least was a respected entertainment presenter who most of the audience remember from his big entertainment shows in the past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And as a matter of fact, Mel Giedroyc & Sue Perkins front The Great British Bake Off very successfully indeed, and that show has seen its ratings increase with each run.

Except that it's really the Paul and Mary show. Mel and Sue are only a step up from India Fisher on Masterchef.

The appointment of Claudia Winkleman could be seen as a no additions to the payroll, cheap option and good for the licence fee. However it also could be seen that there is now no diversity in the whole presenting line up.
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Really disappointed. :cry:

I just cannot warm to CW. :(

Me neither, but I guess all the other suggested names wanted more money or weren't available. I do agree with another poster though that Claudia is better with the post-dance interviews than Tess.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    Like many others? I think you'll find the opposite opinion several times over in this thread alone.
    Perhaps you should read the comments from sources other than digital spy and you will see what I mean
  • gary217gary217 Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Thank God it isn't Anton or Lisa chuffing Riley. Fine with Tess and Claudia though will miss the flashes of panic in Tess' eyes when Brucie went wrong.

Jeez - hadn't even thought of Riley as a possibilty :o ...that would have been awful.

Like the 'flashes of panic' comment :D

I think Claudia will do well with the interviews...I hope Tess can pull off 'front of house' but I'm less certain she can. It's a tricky act to follow - not because Bruce was good, but actually because he was so bad - if she makes any attempts at humour or catchphrases it will resonate 'Bad Bruce', so she'll have to find her own style as the lead and I hope she has the ability to do so. Good luck to them both!

Also glad it wasn't Anton - he's fun but not for that role.....or either of the Jordans.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mumbling? A new BBC trend, so it would seem. :D

Probably have to turn the volume up loud and listen very carefully ... until the other person deafens you with their response.
  • Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
    Very happy with the Claudia and Tess duo :)

They know the show, know how it works, and know how to present it. Ideal choices IMO :)
  • gary217gary217 Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    No No No...need someone who can banter with the judges and stick up for the contestants like brucie did. Someone funny and quick witted. A man preferably. Also Claudia needs a makeover. she looks like cousin IT (no offence!)

Sorry - I just don't get that at all - why 'a man preferably'....????

Interesting that you insult her by calling her 'cousin IT' and then say no offence...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Beeb would have whipped up a storm if they'd brought a man in to the top role, over Tess and got rid of Claudia. It would have been a total sexism row.

I think both did well last year
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    I couldn't disagree more, Claudia and Tess have proved that they are a popular combination and I think that the ratings will be higher than ever. While Cowell and his tired old show will sink down the ratings.

I can't wait! :D

I hope you're right.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    Except that it's really the Paul and Mary show. Mel and Sue are only a step up from India Fisher on Masterchef.
    No, I disagree - they appear in-vision, they open the programme, they provide all of the links and start the bakes, they stop the bakes and call up the bakers, they add their own comments and jokes (and some innuendos - "I haven't eaten a nun before" ;)) , they rib the judges, they talk to the bakers, they help out and console the bakers when things go wrong, they announce star baker and the baker who is going home ..... very much akin to what the presenters on SCD do.

In fact, Paul & Mary are just judges, albeit with the same degree of camaraderie and viewer recognition as say, Bruno & Les.
  • standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Oh well thats Strictly down the tubes ,maybe it'll survive but i shan't be watching shame
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the success or otherwise of the pairing for me will depend on a couple of things. The past few years Tess & Claudia's presenting of the main show has been an appealing novelty and a respite for the "ZOMG I SMASH THE FAST FORWARD BUTTON WITH MY FACE EVERY TIME BRUCE APPEARS OR SPEAKS OR IS MENTIONED OR CAN BE GLIMPSED IN THE BACK OF SHOT" brigade, but they'll now have to be judged on their own merits.

I like Claudia, but she's probably going to have be less manic, because 13/14 weeks of her in the Tess role (which has always involved more screen-time and more work than the Bruce role) on both the main and the results show may be too much, even for me. And they're going to have to retool how they script Tess majorly, because every time she's done the main host role there have been jokes flatlining all over the place (Say what you will about Bruce, his jokes always get a reaction - you could hear tumbleweeds the size of Anton's chest wig rumbling through the studio every time Tess tried to be funny), and far too much of her talking back at the judges.

It's a fine pairing, and as Graham Norton has said he doesn't want the gig I can't really think of one I would have preferred massively, but I agree with those that say that the ratings might deflate a little, unless they can find a way to relaunch the rest of the show in an interesting way.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    NOT GOOD

You need big stars or well known people for a Saturday show like that. ITV would never put those two together.

You also need a Male and Female and it reflects the dancing partnership.

Not only that She has no gravitas and bloody annoying.

Not good for the show and a classic BBC error.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrilled to bits! :cool:
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good decision!

When they hosted the shows when (oh blessed relief) FForstyth wasn't there they did a good and competent and professional job.

As a bonus, (even more blessed relief), there will be no more cringeworthy leers, ffumbles, comments and puerile 'jokes'.

What is wrong with having women as presenters anyway? Just as good, and often much better, than some of the shallow over-inflated 'personalities' that were suggested in various threads to replace the ffumbling bumbling ffool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good decision!

When the hosted the shows when (oh blessed relief) FForstyth wasn't there they did a good and competent and professional job.

As a bonus, (even more blessed relief), there will be no more cringeworthy leers, ffumbles, comments and puerile 'jokes'.

What is wrong with having women as presenters anyway? Just as good, and often much better, than some of the shallow over-inflated 'personalities' that were suggested in various threads to replace the ffumbling bumbling ffool.

I, for one, am particularly looking forward to the bit when either Tess or Claudia launch into an incoherent rant to one of the contestants for wearing an inappropriate shirt for a Viennese waltz. Or calls Len 'Linda'. Or fails to read the autocue correctly and starts shouting at one of the floor-staff. Or embarrasses a larger contestant by making repeated references to their girth.

Ah, Brucie. Consummate professional to the end ...
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »

Except that Bruce and Tess never danced together (and no, neither the dinosaur dance or 'keeeeep dancing' count).
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I, for one, am particularly looking forward to the bit when either Tess or Claudia launch into an incoherent rant to one of the contestants for wearing an inappropriate shirt for a Viennese waltz. Or calls Len 'Linda'. Or fails to read the autocue correctly and starts shouting at one of the floor-staff. Or embarrasses a larger contestant by making repeated references to their girth.

Ah, Brucie. Consummate professional to the end ...

Don't forget gleefully telling the audience that they're all going to die.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This series is going to be the best yet, no Bruce at all and the lovely Claudia.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Great? :confused: she hadn't got a clue about sewing or sewing techniques, just as she knows nothing about dancing.

So? Mel and Sue know sod all about baking yet they're perfect hosts for GBBO because they have a great rapport with the contestants. Claudia is also great at that. It'll be a far better experience watching her doing the interviews that Tess who always seemed uncomfortable with the non scripted stuff.
    You need big stars or well known people for a Saturday show like that. ITV would never put those two together.

Yeah sure thing. The 11million-ish views will all turn off en masse and suddenly dislike the format of the show because one of the presenters has changed. To a presenter who they're well familiar with and has been on the show for years. Nice logic.

Right..... I'm taking this is from an XFactor fan living in hope. *backs away slowly*
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why people keep saying it should be Anton. He was dreadful on that "Hole In The Wall" show.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,430
    Forum Member
    NOT GOOD

Not only that She has no gravitas and bloody annoying.

Not good for the show and a classic BBC error.

Well, if Angela Rippon and Paddy McGuinness are an example, I won't bother thanks :p

Claudia and Tess will be fine. Trust me, I'm a woman :p