Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    About time >:( :p

Hope you're feeling better.

I'll survive. If I die though you know what to do. ;-)
    At this point there was a crossover embargo due to Buffy moving to UPN and Angel remaining on The WB. Interaction between the two series is only mentioned and happens off screen.

So that's why Buffy and Angel are going to meet up in neither Sunnydale nor LA. ^_^
    Kaisha wrote: »
    They're just called The Trio. That's all.

Considering the things they were planning to do to Buffy, the three little pigs is probably better. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Valourant wrote: »
    Flooded

- Ultimately, that was a really good episode with some really good dialogue and character moments. Aside from what I've mentioned already, I really liked the scenes between Buffy and Spike as well as Xander giving up on the coffee table and Dawn getting confused about the horn in the book; Buffy's fascination with the running water - life?- was pretty interesting too. Additionally, I thought the less than subtle themes were quite enthralling and I'm now somewhat convinced that the main antagonists in Season 6 will have to be demon creditors of sorts. It would allow us to properly explore Buffy's return from the dead and, much like what happened last time around, perhaps they could possess Team JAW (sorry!) as well? For one, it would certainly give them more of a much-needed dramatic presence! I also think this might be how Tara dies – they will want to take a life now that Buffy's around and they'll want to hurt Willow since she was the one who cast the spell? All in all, my favourite episode of the season so far.

"That's a weird place to have a horn... oh...":D

Again, really like this one... much lighter vibe than the previous eps, and probably the most upbeat one of season 6... lots of great moments, really liked the bits with the Trio etc in particular, and, for your serious stuff+foreshadowing, I thought that argument between Giles and Willow was REALLY good, and the convo between Spike and Buffy during was also nice i.e. her being with Spike when she's miserable...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This might well sound a little bit random and I'm not entirely sure that it matters enormously but I actually went ahead and ordered Buffy Season 6 on DVD the other day; it was in used condition and one of the older releases. I'm not sure how much internet access I'll have over the next couple of weeks is all so I thought it was good to have a physical copy. The primary reason I'm telling you this - aside from the fact that it came today - is that I found out does Joss Whedon does the voice of the Grr Monster at the end of every episode. That's brilliant lol - I never knew that. :D

Fredless

- Why do I get a bad feeling this episode will be about Fred disappearing and no one noticing she's gone?

- The small taste we got of Gunn's British Accent was brilliant lol.

- As was Cordy and Wes' impression of Buffy and Angel! It's even better when you remember the events of Guise will be Guise, and the fact that Charisma Carpenter auditioned for the part of Buffy. This could actually be a thing in an alternative universe!

- IDK why but Angel announced that he wanted ice creams way too dramatically. That's not to say though I thought it was bad acting – quite the contrary. For the record I love David Boreanaz's performance as Angel and, ever since watching Are You Now or Have You Ever Been or something like that, he's definitely become my favourite character in the Buffyverse.

- Maybe it's a death catapult machine that also makes toast? ;-)

- I sensed those would be Fred's parents from when they first walked in through the door. Why did Fred run away from them though?

- I like that Wesley has a picture of Churchill on his desk. I do not like though that Fred's parents might be evil. Dumb comment I know but such an idea seems way too predictable.

- 'You think I'm fat?' :D:D:D

- There's been so many good lines in this episode up to this point. Aside from the ones I've alluded to or mentioned already, I loved Angel swinging the head (and jesting it was made of lead) and denying that Fred make adult movies.

- The Host doesn't like The Godfather 3 and (presumably) loves Judge Judy? Verdicts in – I love this episode.

- Although I'm a little disappointed the demon was killed this early in – even if it did have a pretty cool death – I'm actually sort of relieved about it now that I think. Fred's story – in this episode at least - doesn't strike me as one that needs a demon menace to back it up. Then again, whose to say it re-spawn sometime before the episode's out?

- Angel luuurves Cordelia lol. He could't wait to get over there fast enough.

- The image of giant bugs inside the Hyperion was a pretty creepy one, and I actually quite liked how the whole plot was resolved.

- To conclude, that was a really good episode and certainly one of the highlights of the season so far. I really like how Fred came into her own and I find it really sweet how - from a certain perspective - she's also just a big kid at heart. One of my favourite things about this episode – even if it went unremarked upon for the most part – was the realisation that none of the gang have ever really had loving parents. I suppose Cordelia's parents might be the exception but since they were incredibly rich whose to say that they were ever around? Finally, I think it would be a travesty to end this review by saying anything other than that I'm glad Winifred Burkle has joined the team proper. The acceptance scene at the end actually reminded me of Tara a little; I just hope that Fred won't meet a similar fate!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life Serial

- Buffy's say what face during class was pretty funny.

- I'm not attempting to make a bad joke or anything but I'm only ten minutes into this episode and just so much has happened already. The idea of Buffy going through a 'blink and you'll miss it' phase is - in my humble opinion - a really interesting one and I sort of wish they'd explored it further.

- I haven't really had all that much to talk about so far but I quite like the design of the demons that attacked Buffy at the construction yard, and I'm sort of O.K with the idea of her seeking employment. I know I complained about this quite a bit with Xander over the course of Season 4 but with Buffy I feel there's a lot more scope for comedy there.

- Honestly, I'm really not liking this episode too much. I get what the Trio are trying to do (and their van complete with sound effects is BRILLIANT) but I'm not entirely sure I buy that Xander and Giles and whoever else – even if it's just for a little bit – are doubting Buffy in a fantasy show.

- The Groundhog Day sequence was a fair bit funnier than I was expecting. Sarah Michelle Gellar is actually quite a good comedy actress.

- Speaking of which, no matter how many times I watched Buffy drink whiskey I laughed out loud.

- Kitten Poker reminds me a lot of Monkey Tennis, which one of those 'god-awful' shows that Alan Partridge suggested.

- That was quite a sweet scene between Giles and Buffy at the end although I hope she hasn't jinxed it or anything by saying she feels safe with him always being around.

- Ultimately, that was a middling episode and one I struggled to enjoy in places. Like someone said earlier on in the episode – possibly Buffy – the whole thing felt a little unfocused and I'd rather they have given each segment more time to breathe. I am quite liking the Trio so far but I don't understand how any of their trials were particularly challenging or useful to them. I'm also wondering if they're a red herring of sorts and will soon after be killed by the main antagonists proper?

EDIT: I don't suppose anyone's read the 27 things you didn't know about Buffy article on Digital Spy homepage today and found out anything spoiler-free and interesting? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Life Serial

- Buffy's say what face during class was pretty funny.

- I'm not attempting to make a bad joke or anything but I'm only ten minutes into this episode and just so much has happened already. The idea of Buffy going through a 'blink and you'll miss it' phase is - in my humble opinion - a really interesting one and I sort of wish they'd explored it further.

- I haven't really had all that much to talk about so far but I quite like the design of the demons that attacked Buffy at the construction yard, and I'm sort of O.K with the idea of her seeking employment. I know I complained about this quite a bit with Xander over the course of Season 4 but with Buffy I feel there's a lot more scope for comedy there.

- Honestly, I'm really not liking this episode too much. I get what the Trio are trying to do (and their van complete with sound effects is BRILLIANT) but I'm not entirely sure I buy that Xander and Giles and whoever else – even if it's just for a little bit – are doubting Buffy in a fantasy show.

- The Groundhog Day sequence was a fair bit funnier than I was expecting. Sarah Michelle Gellar is actually quite a good comedy actress.

- Speaking of which, no matter how many times I watched Buffy drink whiskey I laughed out loud.

- Kitten Poker reminds me a lot of Monkey Tennis, which one of those 'god-awful' shows that Alan Partridge suggested.

- That was quite a sweet scene between Giles and Buffy at the end although I hope she hasn't jinxed it or anything by saying she feels safe with him always being around.

- Ultimately, that was a middling episode and one I struggled to enjoy in places. Like someone said earlier on in the episode – possibly Buffy – the whole thing felt a little unfocused and I'd rather they have given each segment more time to breathe. I am quite liking the Trio so far but I don't understand how any of their trials were particularly challenging or useful to them. I'm also wondering if they're a red herring of sorts and will soon after be killed by the main antagonists proper?

EDIT: I don't suppose anyone's read the 27 things you didn't know about Buffy article on Digital Spy homepage today and found out anything spoiler-free and interesting? :)

The point of the Trio seems to be that they're totally and utterly useless really - they set out to do something and it always goes that little bit pear shaped. I actually do love this episode, but at the same time, it could have quite easily been 2/3 episodes with all they squished into it.
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life Serial

Ultimately, that was a middling episode and one I struggled to enjoy in places. Like someone said earlier on in the episode – possibly Buffy – the whole thing felt a little unfocused and I'd rather they have given each segment more time to breathe. I am quite liking the Trio so far but I don't understand how any of their trials were particularly challenging or useful to them. I'm also wondering if they're a red herring of sorts and will soon after be killed by the main antagonists proper?

Warren said that Buffy seemed to be "completely without focus", but that's really the whole point of the episode. Buffy's been brought back into the human world again, but she still has no idea why she's there or what her purpose is. Despite the different ways she tries, she doesn't appear to be able to properly fit back into regular life. Since Spike knows Buffy's heaven secret, he can see that she's only playing at getting back into life; she doesn't particularly want to be alive, but she has to put on a pretence for the Scoobies. It's not working though because her heart isn't truly in it, which is why Spike effectively says "Why are you wasting your time trying to be something you're not?"

I really like this episode though. I know The Trio are largely pathetic with their pointless Slayer tests, but I adore their huge argument over who was the best Bond! Special mention to Andrew's outburst: "Timothy Dalton should get an Oscar and BEAT SEAN CONNERY OVER THE HEAD WITH IT!" :D
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Warren said that Buffy seemed to be "completely without focus", but that's really the whole point of the episode. Buffy's been brought back into the human world again, but she still has no idea why she's there or what her purpose is. Despite the different ways she tries, she doesn't appear to be able to properly fit back into regular life. Since Spike knows Buffy's heaven secret, he can see that she's only playing at getting back into life; she doesn't particularly want to be alive, but she has to put on a pretence for the Scoobies. It's not working though because her heart isn't truly in it, which is why Spike effectively says "Why are you wasting your time trying to be something you're not?"

I really like this episode though. I know The Trio are largely pathetic with their pointless Slayer tests, but I adore their huge argument over who was the best Bond! Special mention to Andrew's outburst: "Timothy Dalton should get an Oscar and BEAT SEAN CONNERY OVER THE HEAD WITH IT!" :D

Best comment in Life Serial?

STOP TOUCHING MY MAGIC BONE!:blush::p:p

It never fails to make me laugh, I bet it took them ages to film it and keep a straight face without collapsing into giggles:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting to see for the most part that Life Serial is all-round generally well received. There were plenty of positives don't get me wrong - the Trio and Cat Poker are my particular highlights - but IDK I don't think it flowed together especially well. Still, different strokes for different folks I suppose and hopefully it'll be one that improves on a re-watch. :)

Billy

- I should have really sensed that something bad would go down with Angel in this episode (well things almost did) judging by the scene between him and Cordy right at the start. I didn't think anything of it at the time however because Cordelia is always mentioning how she keeps on guard.

- I did think though Billy's dad would have played more of a pivotal role since everyone knows that Republicans are evil. :p

- The Powers that Be are awfully catty. ;-)

- I'm also still waiting for the scene where Lilah confronts Angel about their tryst.

- Ah so Billy's untouchable in the sense he's literally untouchable – that's quite cool in my honest opinion. I'm less enthusiastic about his power however because we've seen paranoia done so many times before in the show. Also, what did Wolfram and Hart want with him exactly? Someone who can put Cordelia out of the picture? I don't believe that was ever explained?

- Cordy telling Lilah how it is was a really great scene (and, speaking of which, we really need some more between the two) but I'm not entirely sure what Billy wanted as well. I get that he enjoyed watching the world burn I suppose and that he hated women but was there any particular significance to the plane at the end? I assume he just wanted to let the violence spread?

- I don't know if it was the accent or the look or a mixture of the both but GOSH DARN IT WESLEY WAS SO CREEPY IN THIS EPISODE!!!! :o

- On that note, this episode actually feels really uncomfortable to watch because of his attitude. I've 'obviously' never experienced something like that but I can just tell it's believable, if you know what I mean?

- I anticipated that Angel wouldn't be affected by Billy's touch – even if earlier scenes in the episode did imply to me that his paranoia was building up – but I figured they'd play around with it more, sort of like when he was trying to deceive Faith back in Buffy Season 3. I can't imagine why he'd need to do that in this situation mind!

- There was actually something really suspenseful about the scenes with Fred trying to fight off both Wesley and Gunn. It genuinely didn't occur to me there'd be a Shining reference at some point – and by that I mean ever since Angel moved into the Hyperion – but I'm so beyond glad there was in the end even if I still need to watch the film and read the book. :p

- I sort of sensed that Billy wouldn't survive the episode and, whilst I can absolutely understand the decision and quite like it as well, I really wish that the show had done more with him. I thought he'd be the Big Bad for sure.

- With doubts starting to seep into Wesley’s demeanour, I wonder if Angel will one day usurp him as leader of the team?

- To conclude that was quite a good episode which in certain places actually had me on the edge of my seat. As mentioned above, I wish they'd given more screen time to Billy and perhaps fleshed out his motivations more? Whilst you could argue they weren't that hard to guess – he hated women and enjoyed destruction – the episode sort of introduced him as an ongoing threat. I personally think it would have been much more effective then had we built up to his minor rampage of sorts, perhaps in this episode or the one before? I also feel really bad for Fred – what would possess you to hurt her, hmm? Ultimately though, there were plenty of positives with the main highlight being Alexis Denisof as Wesley. I actually don't think the show gives him that much to do compared to the likes of Angel and Cordy so it's nice to see him be given much more dramatic material. This episode was his time to shine no questions asked and I feel like he really succeeded. :)
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally think Wesley has the best overall character in terms of how he's written. You may see more of a different Wesley in the future.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are 2 episode away from the musical episode! I'm just watching it now and you're in for a treat. I kind of see it as the end of the first 'half' of the season, even though it's only episode 7. Especially because of the last scene!

Enjoy 'all the way' then psyche yourself up for some singing!!! Oh and spike's song is great!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wasn't able to comment past couple of days, but really liking these episodes. I do get what your saying about Life Serial feeling a tad disjointed, but I really enjoyed it for the most part. SMG had some really great comic moments (especially when she's drinking-"gyaaah":D), and the whole Kitten Poker scene was brilliant... "I'm cheating? He's got X-Ray vision!"

Really enjoying Angel as well, glad Fred's now a proper part of the gang, and those scenes where Wesley went all crazy and rapey in Billy... :o OMG! Forget Angelus, I want more of evil Wesley, the dark side of him we've been seeing in this, and in that scene with Gunn at the end of That Old Gang of Mine has been really compelling, and Alexis Denisof seems to be able to really nail creepy...

So yeah, nothing really much to add, just that I'm really enjoying it. I remember Buffy season 6 being a bit up and down on first viewing, but hopefully I'll continue to enjoy it on rewatch, and as for Angel, if it keeps up with this level of quality, we're in for a treat... (though I got to say I'm a bit disappointed he's not going to become a Big Bad after all the set up in That Vision Thing... presumably now that he's out of the way the whole thing with Darla being pregnant will crop up again...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry this is going up so late. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm making excuses but my internet was being slow and then my laptop 'broke' so... bleh. Still, all better now and hopefully it won't happen again for the foreseeable future. :)

All the Way

- Halloween episode! Eyepatch Xander!

- The little girl dressed as the witch was so freaking adorable, and can you imagine if there was an episode where all the main characters were turned back into children? IDK why but the idea of a six year old boy resembling Spike makes me laugh. Please let that be a thing on either YouTube or Tumblr!

- I didn't think anything of it at the time and soon after forgot but I wonder if the coin that Dawn picked up is secretly important? And that's why Giles is continually cleaning his glasses! :kitty:

- Ha! Buffy seems to have Spike on the brain. I wonder if this will be the episode where they go all the way?

- Since Giles seems to enjoy 'teasing' Xander so much, I actually hope that Xander'll get seriously wounded at some point. I just think it would be interesting to see Xander turn to Giles for some kind of reciprocated support.

- Creepy Old Guy + Cooking Pot + Small Children = Hansel and Gretel themed episode? Or Syntax Error? Probably the latter thinking about it because they already covered that story in Gingerbread.

- I thought Xander and Anya already moved in together in The Replacement (aka the one where she was constantly dogging him to buy a new flat?) I know she has a place to call her own but I guess I just figured that she would have moved out by now. Not than I'm an expert on things but it'd be cheaper, surely? Additionally, I really want Giles to give Anya away at the wedding or act as Xander's best man. Better yet he could officiate!

- Minor nitpick but would Dawn and her... gang really venture inside the Creepy Old Guy's house? I do like the sound of cannibalistic pumpkins though!

- Good twist is good although it feels like the umpteenth time they've used this particular sleight of hand. In fairness though, it did manage to trick me and it's more so Angel that uses these sorts of red herrings.

- I actually feel really bad for Buffy especially when she said, 'This is the way life's supposed to work out.' I wonder if she'll end up confronting the other Scoobies about her resurrection at some point? It'd really help to further the tension between her and Willow I think.

- Speaking of tension, what if Willow and Tara have a massive falling out and Willow accidentally kills her in anger? That would be quite good albeit unlikely to happen. Exempting a botched revival of sorts, Willow would probably stop using magic altogether and I don't think that's where this storyline's going. 'Hi my name's Willow and I've been a user since I was 16.' 'Hi Willow.'

- Xander and Anya are my favourite couple in Buffy – anyone else? I almost wish they'd introduced her back in episode 1 so that way we could have properly seen their relationship evolve. On that note then, I also really want them to have children at some point but I'll readily admit this is more wishful thinking than anything else. I actually think Anya might die this season because love interests – namely Oz and Riley – always seem to leave part way through the season. Although Tara is a potential contender too, everyone else has so far featured in the opening credits. Then again look at what happened to Jenny...

- I was half expecting Dawn and her crush to enter a proper relationship because it would have made for an interesting comparison to Angel and Buffy. And was Buffy's first kiss with Angel as well? If so that's two Summer's women now who've initially puckered up for a vampire. In fact, haven't most of the Scoobies had their first kiss with a supernatural creature too? I can't remember if Xander and Willow kissed in When She Was Bad or not?

- Willow! What are you doing?!

- To conclude, that was a rather good episode although I felt it lacked a certain something. This is more so a criticism when you consider that the past two Halloween instalments had quite innovative concepts. I liked that Dawn received a focus episode which didn't concentrate on her being the Key but I felt in places it was undeveloped. In fairness though, there are only so many comparisons you can draw between losing your virginity and becoming a vampire which of course begs the question why they even drew in the parallel in the first place? Since she didn't lose her virginity though we might well see it addressed in the future? Ultimately though, I thought it was good and had plenty of tricks and plenty of treats. Oh, and Once More with Feeling is next episode! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

All the Way

I've heard a couple of people saying they didn't really like this one, and I'm not sure why. It's really quite a good ep. It does mark the beginnings of Dawn's whiny-ness, but I think it's quite a good representation of what you have teens wanting to do and the trouble they can get into etc. I liked the stuff with Spike in this ep, who does seem to have regained his big mouth after being a bit overly lovelorn in season 5, and I think the whole thing of Buffy becoming way to dependent on Giles is being quite realistically done.. You can see Willow fast going into areas she probably shouldn't and I LOVE Anya/Xander.

"DO THE DANCE OF CAPITALIST SUPERIORITY!"

I must say though that whole opening scenes with the old guy etc were really quite irritating. Obviously you could argue the point of them was to raise suspense, but as it didn't majorly, and just went nowhere.. felt TOTALLY pointless...
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Seeing as this is the active Slayer thread at the moment, I'll post this here;

The series starts airing in HD in the States this next week.

http://www.pivot.tv/shows/buffy-the-vampire-slayer

Compare and contrast the trailer with your fuzzy DVDs! :D

Unfortunately, there appears to be cropping to make the 4:3 image fit a 16:9 screen. Hopefully this is just for the trailer but I suspect not, in which case, hopefully any future Blu Rays will be 4:3 like the Star Trek TNG BDs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Offspring

- It just occurred to me – we haven't seen Kate in quite a long time.

- I know Angel doesn't really do Big Bads in the conventional sense but what if Holtz is somehow an immortal demon and ends up being the main antagonist this season?

- It's interesting to see the Shansu prophecy mentioned again for the first time since Judgement I believe. I'm still undecided about how I want Angel's character arc to come to a close but I think him being turned into a human would be a tad too easy if that makes any sense? What do you want to happen Janus-Mars and anyone else who hasn't seen the show?

- I have mixed feelings about Cordy's reaction to Darla's pregnancy. Whilst it was quite a nice callback to what happened in Expecting and it certainly felt believable she would do something like that, it more so jarred with me for the reasons that Angel cited. I can understand her being concerned about the child but... argh. How did you react to it all?

- It also didn't occur to me until it was pointed out that Angel's ex-girlfriends have both died twice and come back to life. I also wonder if he had any romantic dalliances in between losing Darla and meeting Buffy, since I don't think he was aware of the curse at that point?

- The Host's reaction to Angel's philandering was pretty good. :)

- I really hope that Angel doesn't become a baby daddy. Whilst it might be quite funny to see how a vampire deals with a child - I'd still very much like this to happen with Spike - I think the novelty of it would wear off after an episode. If they really wanted to explore the idea that badly though, they could just do a Three Men and a Baby homage with Angel, Wesley and Gunn instead, perhaps as some kind of compromise? I also really hope that Angel Jr isn't the Chosen One but I'll explain why towards the end.

- I wonder if they'll resolve this storyline before the end of the episode? There's not long left – about ten minutes now – and already it feels like we're closing in on a climax of sorts.

- Even though their motivations and history are very different, Darla's mini breakdown reminded me of Faith's. It also made me mentally shake my head when I discovered that Darla was now much stronger than everyone else. Whilst of course I can understand the sentiment, it does strike me as a bit of a farce when you consider how many weeks she must be gone.

- The reason I sensed that Holtz would be back is not only because they've been teasing him a lot since the start of the season but also because it gives Angel and Darla a good opportunity to work together. I imagine the baby will be his primary target, and he'll be sort of like a King Herod character?

- Ultimately, that was quite a good episode although nothing stand out. Whilst I'm glad they didn't shoehorn an 'irrelevant' demon in and Darla prowling for children was a little bit creepy, I'm not that enthusiastic about the pregnancy plot. I don't really find it all that suspenseful and, even though I *know* that answers are coming, I'm a teensy bit worried about whether or not it'll actually work. Angel and Cordelia's developing relationship was the highlight for me and that's the one thing I really want to see unfold. That being said, I can't imagine them in a proper relationship though; I'm just curious as to where the story goes. Finally, the reason I don't want Angel Jr to save the world is because he's a kid - how will that work? I know it might be debatable sometimes but Angel's surely got to be the champion of the show? That is unless Angel has to kill his kid to save the world?

And Buffy looks so much better in shiny HD! Once I've done with the entire series, I might check it out on SyFy every now and again just to properly notice the difference (as well as to see what was cut of course :p)
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buffy is in HD on Syfy? I thought it was just upscaled, so still a bit grainy. I think the link above is the first time it's been converted properly to HD. The reason being is all the CGI/effects need to be made into HD as well, it's not as simple as shows like Friends, where there is none!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    Buffy is in HD on Syfy? I thought it was just upscaled, so still a bit grainy. I think the link above is the first time it's been converted properly to HD. The reason being is all the CGI/effects need to be made into HD as well, it's not as simple as shows like Friends, where there is none!

I'm not sure. It's more than likely it's just been upscaled but either way it looks a lot better than it does on DVD. :)
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Seeing as this is the active Slayer thread at the moment, I'll post this here;

The series starts airing in HD in the States this next week.

http://www.pivot.tv/shows/buffy-the-vampire-slayer

Compare and contrast the trailer with your fuzzy DVDs! :D

Unfortunately, there appears to be cropping to make the 4:3 image fit a 16:9 screen. Hopefully this is just for the trailer but I suspect not, in which case, hopefully any future Blu Rays will be 4:3 like the Star Trek TNG BDs.

Beautiful. :cry:
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ^^ For clarity - The current SyFy airings will be upscaled. The Pivot airings are remastered, and will look even better.

Re the VFX, looks like Fox have done what they did with Firefly and The X Files, ie. the live-action scenes are fully remastered, the VFX and composite shots will be upscaled. That's in contrast with Star Trek: The Next Generation where they went back to the original VFX elements and rebuilt them from the ground up in HD. It'll still look far better than BtVS has ever looked before though.

Also note that it looks as though it's been cropped for 16:9.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once More with Feeling

- Musical Time! I'm honestly not sure why I've been looking forward to this episode so much since I'm not the biggest musical Buff.

- Speaking of which, I really liked the opening song; it reminded me of a Disney number. I also enjoyed the recap music - it's the same one that plays on the DVD Menu - and the little beats in between tunes. Even though I've never seen a musical proper, I can just tell that they've captured the atmosphere down to a tee. The opening credits were also well done albeit quite a lot shorter than I'd been expecting. ;-)

- Imagine if Anya's solo was your introduction to Buffy! Whilst it did make me laugh a little however, the whole thing also felt a teensy bit forced.

- I actually watched the Behind the Scenes feature immediately afterwards and I sort of wish 'Willow' lip-syncing to 'Mustard' had somehow worked its way into the episode.

- I wonder if the... thing that Dawn stole last episode is why the world is now acting like even more of a stage than usual?

- Amber Benson has a really nice voice. I also like the double entendre of the song 'Under Your Spell' and Giles' face when Buffy said that all the singing and dancing wasn't very romantic.

- So people are literally burning themselves out from singing and dancing too much? That's quite good.

- Xander and Anya's song was brilliant as was their dance.

- I'm starting to think that Buffy and Spike might hook up in the end because it seems that people's buried emotions are being brought to the fore. It would also add the musical stereotype of the (dead) guy getting the girl.

- What's Spike ballad lacked in heavy metal it certainly made up for in weighty lyrics. That's true of all the songs so far, actually, and I have to say I like it a lot. It's nowhere near the campy cheese-fest that I'd been envisioning these past couple of months.

- Willow's just got busted! :o

- You have to laugh at Dawn singing, 'Does anybody even care?' before swiftly being kidnapped by well-designed minions.

- Sweet's song was... well, actually, guess. :p

- On that note then, Michelle Trachtenberg is also quite a good dancer.

- Poor Tara and Giles. Perhaps they'll both leave this season after all. :(

- 'Walk Through the Fire' was legitimately my favourite song in the musical episode. What was yours?

- I don't really buy that Xander is the one who caused everyone to burst into song. I can understand what he was trying to do but... eh. Surely there must have been some other way for him to see whether or not he would get a happy ending of sorts? Alternatively, he could just have gone to Caritas! I do like that we got an explanation for why all the sudden music though. Had there not been one it would have been very surprising. (And here's a genuine question spurred on by my last comment - do you think Buffy ever jumped the shark?)

- I'm also glad that Sweet in a sense wasn't defeated through the power of song.

- I really can't wait to see the next episode now! So many interesting plot threads have been set up - where do they go from here?!

- To conclude, I can't sing this episode's praises enough! Oh, and the little monster at the end singing falsetto made my year! :kitty:
  • Options
    MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once More with Feeling

I'm starting to think that Buffy and Spike might hook up in the end because it seems that people's buried emotions are being brought to the fore. It would also add the musical stereotype of the (dead) guy getting the girl.

That ending scene was tremendous! But Buffy's lyrics are very important: "This isn't real, but I just wanna feel"
    'Walk Through the Fire' was legitimately my favourite song in the musical episode. What was yours?

Yes, yes and yes again! My top 5 OMWF song preference probably goes:

1) Walk Through The Fire
    2) Where Do We Go From Here?
    3) Life's A Show
    4) I've Got A Theory
    5) Toss up between Rest In Peace and Under Your Spell

I don't really buy that Xander is the one who caused everyone to burst into song. I can understand what he was trying to do but... eh.

I snipped your original quote, but this is exactly my reaction to the Xander reveal!! I love this episode, it's one of the best episodes of anything ever, but Xander being the one to have done all of this is a real bugbear of mine. He knows what happens when spells go awry (see Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered) so him going through the entire episode acting like he had no idea about what's going on just seems too off; it came across as a huge rushed solution to the entire plot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Is it bad that it took me until this year to realise that the end of Under Your Spell is like... that far away from being like... porn? Ah well... still my favourite episode. It does leave me feeling really weird if I ever accidentally sing along to it though now! (FYI - that's everytime. Gotta know all those songs by heart :kitty:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Offspring

- Ultimately, that was quite a good episode although nothing stand out. Whilst I'm glad they didn't shoehorn an 'irrelevant' demon in and Darla prowling for children was a little bit creepy, I'm not that enthusiastic about the pregnancy plot. I don't really find it all that suspenseful and, even though I *know* that answers are coming, I'm a teensy bit worried about whether or not it'll actually work. Angel and Cordelia's developing relationship was the highlight for me and that's the one thing I really want to see unfold. That being said, I can't imagine them in a proper relationship though; I'm just curious as to where the story goes. Finally, the reason I don't want Angel Jr to save the world is because he's a kid - how will that work? I know it might be debatable sometimes but Angel's surely got to be the champion of the show? That is unless Angel has to kill his kid to save the world?

I thought that was pretty good, glad to see the pregnancy thing finally addressed, and I think it could lead to some really interesting stuff... Also like how this did cause a bit of tension between Angel and the rest of the gang, but it never became a big permanent rift as I was worried it might, after all, it's not really the worst thing Angel did when he went all crazy... speaking of which, looking like this is gonna be the big arc of the season, and actually, am enjoying quite a bit more than I was season 2 at this point in the season, so that's good... I also agree that it's Angel I want to be the big champion, not his kid, and I think it would be more interesting if it did seem the kid was gonna become good, but then just eventually became his big nemesis.. As for how I'd like the series to end, since I know there's no other TV continuation of the Buffyverse after Angel, I'd really like to see the big apocalypse prophesised by Wolfram and Hart and the Shanshu thing etc...
    And Buffy looks so much better in shiny HD! Once I've done with the entire series, I might check it out on SyFy every now and again just to properly notice the difference (as well as to see what was cut of course :p)

Tis the most incredible thing I have ever seen! One big turn off with seasons 1-2 is that you can tell it's quite old+from the 90's etc, sometimes looks very classic Dr Who-esque...
    Once More with Feeling

- To conclude, I can't sing this episode's praises enough! Oh, and the little monster at the end singing falsetto made my year! :kitty:
    Not really keen on this one tbh, I mean I know there's lots of stuff to like, Tara fidning out about Willow, Buffy+Spike snogging etc, but it's just, a lot of the songs are just a bit cringey... I've never really liked musicals, and I don't even think many of the songs here are that good, with the possible exceptions of Buffy's and Spike's (thought that was quite good, quite rock-y)..

So yeah, not the worst ep ever (deffo grown on me a lot since first viewing, but I do still have to fight the temptation to fast forward some of it. Next ep's a lot better in my OP (Tabula Rasa!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaisha wrote: »
    Is it bad that it took me until this year to realise that the end of Under Your Spell is like... that far away from being like... porn?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that undertone. I mean where did Willow's head go when they were on the bed? :o
    Janus_Mars wrote: »
    As for how I'd like the series to end, since I know there's no other TV continuation of the Buffyverse after Angel, I'd really like to see the big apocalypse prophesised by Wolfram and Hart and the Shanshu thing etc...

Seconded. I'd love to see the apocalypse - well, one of them anyways. :p

RE OMWF: Something I forgot to mention last night is Willow's tears when she found out that Buffy was snatched from Heaven. I wonder if it'll lead to a change in her selfish attitude towards magic with potentially only Tara's death pushing over the edge?
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that undertone. I mean where did Willow's head go when they were on the bed? :o

I didn't realise it was an undertone, I thought it was pretty obvious what was happening!