The Strain US Pace Season 1

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another very good episode, you can feel the quality in the production.

The only thing that annoys me is how stupid some of the characters are, such as the father, taxi driver and the daughter of the nanny.

Looks like there is a group of infected who help humans out, whether they are good or not is yet to be seen.

Shame they killed the mother though she looked like she could have been an uber infected.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like there is a group of infected who help humans out, whether they are good or not is yet to be seen.

They certainly appeared to be a slightly different breed (or strain) so either some form of Blade type anti-vampires or possibly a rival house to the masters. Personally I'm hoping for daywalkers
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was an excellent and unexpected ending.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I'm not so sure about these guys, you'd think if they were infected yet good, they could have helped the daughter, save killing her? Still, from what we've seen the current infected seem to be driven on impulse, and the higher ups more keen to take over the world. This other group, not so much on impulse, and as you say, they're seemingly on our side. Roll on their backstory. More the antihero type huh?
    chandlerp wrote: »
    That was an excellent and unexpected ending.
    Indeed!
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new vamps have the traditional incisor teeth. I always wondered about the lizard like projectile tongue: that is not part of vampire lore. These appear to me to be the original bloodline who view the others as mutants. I suppose It links with the Nazi philosophy of the pure Aryan bloodline. I think he German is one of them as he looked similar without the makeup on. The strain of vampirism is one they want to get rid of as it makes the infected kill. like animals and therefore is risking their exposure
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was done with this show. Just so bad. The acting, the dialogue, the whole thing is just so stupid. I told myself to just get to the end of the episode and never bother with it again.

But that ending. A vampire hit squad! Wow!

I'll be back once more. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was done with this show. Just so bad. The acting, the dialogue, the whole thing is just so stupid. I told myself to just get to the end of the episode and never bother with it again.

But that ending. A vampire hit squad! Wow!

I'll be back once more. :D

I thought that ending was great. I was on tenterhooks wondering what the lead vampire was going to do. The way he turned the children around: it was like a farmer surveying his cattle to see if they were in good order before slaughter. I think the are trying to protect their food supply. If he humans become infected they might starve.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest episode does seem to have given the show a new lease of life.
  • hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    OK, annoying question - is this really worth watching? I watched the first episode and it seemed like utter shite. Just the usual tired cliched characters, poor acting, dismal dialogue and nothing new other than a body part pumping by itself. And then Emperor Palpatine arrives and smashes a skull. Class......
    But it was recommended by someone who's opinion I usually trust. Such a dilemma.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendoll wrote: »
    OK, annoying question - is this really worth watching? I watched the first episode and it seemed like utter shite. Just the usual tired cliched characters, poor acting, dismal dialogue and nothing new other than a body part pumping by itself. And then Emperor Palpatine arrives and smashes a skull. Class......
    But it was recommended by someone who's opinion I usually trust. Such a dilemma.

If you didn't enjoy it then don't watch it. I like that it is tongue in cheek and doesn't take itself too seriously which is probably down to Guillermo's influence. I don't think it is cliched and am never sure what is going to happen. The end of the last episode was a complete surprise. They have a good mix of European actors and those from the US so it doesn't have that pure American feel about it where everything is cliched. I am really enjoying it.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say a definite yes. The first 2 episodes were a bit ropey in the acting and dialogue stakes but things really pick up after ep3. The special effects are excellent and there are good flashbacks involving Setrakian (David Bradley) that tell about his involvement with Eichorst (the main baddie!)
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I've watched the first 7 episodes but I'm still not sure whether the show is any good or not. It's been good enough to make me watch so far so I guess that's better than 90% of shows. I'll judge it once the season ends though.

One thing I do hate is the ratcatcher's accent. I've no idea why he needs to be Russian (or Ukrainian or whatever he is) and if he needs to be, then why not cast a Russian-American who can do a convincing accent?

I do like the main bad guy though.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's worth giving it a go. It's a bit slow to start, but it picks up.

I always run by the rule that I'll watch the first series (or at least half of) a new show and then make a decision. There's always exceptions as some pilots truly are SHIT, but this one I thoroughly enjoy.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yesyesyesyes
    and we have another playa in the town
    will they end up going ..... tooth 2 tooth ..... with the four survivors of the plane???

quinlan versus boivar anyone :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a little disappointed not to see the vampire SWAT team but the episode was very entertaining. I really like the sense of humour: here we have shop assistant asking for payment and having to deal with modern payment methods during an attack of vampires. I really think the producers are getting into their stride.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have only watched the pilot so going to avoid what is going on in this thread, but I made a big mistake of eating a big meal before watching it. I didn't expect it to be the way it was, I expected something like a cross between The Vampire Diaries/Buffy/Supernatural, so a combination of slight horror but comedy. It was quite gory :p

But overall, I quite enjoyed it.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was a little disappointed not to see the vampire SWAT team but the episode was very entertaining. I really like the sense of humour: here we have shop assistant asking for payment and having to deal with modern payment methods during an attack of vampires. I really think the producers are getting into their stride.

It was a shame it wasn't really a 'moving forward' episode, but even a static one like this is more entertaining that some shows out there, such as Extant.

I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously.
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes episode 8 is a holding one but quite good all the same because various characters are coming together , really wondering about cyber woman who fecked up the computer systems. Its only a matter of time before the guy who delivered the box from the airport to reveal all.

I know its a bit cheesy but its enjoyable
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a pretty fun show, just the right amount of cheesy humor and horror. When it's being serious, it works just as well as the sillier parts.

It's not perfect by any means, but it's only the first season and it's certainly got potential.
  • dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoying this show but I do hope that Ruta Gedmintas isn't going to become a permanent cast member. I find her a bit of a rubbish actress tbh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a shame it wasn't really a 'moving forward' episode, but even a static one like this is more entertaining that some shows out there, such as Extant.

I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

We had the exterminator and the hacker join the group, Jim died, we're seeing the infected start to act as a controlled group. I felt it served it's purpose as a siege episode.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had the exterminator and the hacker join the group, Jim died, we're seeing the infected start to act as a controlled group. I felt it served it's purpose as a siege episode.

I was surprised to see him killed off as Sean Astin is a fairly big name.

I'm still enjoying this. It's silly but at least it's not taking itself too seriously.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It also served to give the idea that the wider world is starting to notice something is wrong and not just the main characters. There was a brief bit of TV news talking about dealing with some kind of problem. They know something is happening but they don't quite have the details about it yet.

And the siege showed that there are large groups of the newly turned out there just wandering about, attacking random people. If this show had a bigger budget then it'd be able to do this more spectacularly and cinematically... but they don't.
  • Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been watching this, this week and am up-to-date now. Thoroughly enjoying it. :)
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every episode I think this is my last and it manages to come up with something to keep me coming back for more, the last two eposdes ended with the Vamp police and them getting away from the garage got me back.

I thought in the first few episodes it was going to be the stardard Vamps in a city underground, in the dark with the general population knowing nothing about them.

But its going all "World War Z" and I love it :D, leave your brain on standby and enjoy.