Options

Taylor Swift - 1989 (Album)/Shake It Off (Single)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
Forum Member
✭✭
So Taylor's just announced her new album called 1989 and apparently influenced from 1980s pop, released 27th October.

This is the first single: Shake It Off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

I don't know if I'm sold on it or not. It doesn't feel as big as it should. I love the spoken bit though.

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not very country is it, for a country artist
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not very country is it, for a country artist

She's already said this will be a pop album.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm literally shaking with anticipation at the sure to be 12 song epic on how her latest boyfriend cheated on her.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an unabashed lover of pop music i think it's a good song. It's catchy but it's not instant. It's a grower for me. The spoken word part should be removed. It's certainly a new direction for her compared to the lead single from her last album.

It does sound a lot like something else though but i can't for the life of me figure it out. It's better than Jessie J's 'Bang Bang' lead single from her new album that's for sure.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the video and it seems she is miming
  • Options
    Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The song is catchy for all the wrong reasons like one of those tunes you hate but can't get outta your head >:( and the video is terrible, like just beyond awful :( bless Taylor. She tried.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I think it's a grower :) but I agree it feels like it is missing the mark somewhere.
    For me WANEGBT was a grower too and I ended up loving that so I expect this will be the same.
    I'm looking forward to '1989' as I do love pop music and have always preferred Taylor's pop side but only if she does it well. For example I think 22 has a lot of bad lyrics but I like the instrumental of it.
    Ironically as I said I liked the pop side of her music I would like to see Taylor return to her country roots with the album following this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I was expecting something far better to be honest. The video is directed by Mark Romanek, he did brilliant videos in the past but this is very disappointing.

Hopefully her other songs are better
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the video and it seems she is miming

Everyone mimes in pop videos
  • Options
    shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to shake the vague uneasiness over the new Taylor sound, at least in this first single. As much as I've goofed on Taylor Swift in the past, there was always a bit of uh, damn, look at her selling that story while she plays that crappy guitar and sings off key. Yeah, she was telling immature little kid stories, but at least she owned it and stadiums of little kids ate it up. She was a little folky and flat and mediocre but it was original. No one else was trying to tow a line between country and pop. Now she's gone and went all machined and synched pop-girl. That song today could have any number of pop girls singing it and it wouldn't make a difference. Cos who cares?
    It's either all that, or my vague uneasiness is simply based on the death of GeordieLady. Cause she is never gonna come back and champion her fav after this complete turn to pop. I'm gonna miss that bat crazy girl.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone mimes in pop videos

Well Bruce Springsteen didn't in one video, if memory serves, but yes, generally everyone mimes in pop videos.
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taylor has come out and said her next album is going to be a pop album, this isnt a surprise really taking a look at her last album. Being a country fan I hope it does well for her and I hope that the follow up to it is more country. Tracks like Begin Again are where I want to see her go, but I appreciate she needs to do this for herself.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the flipside to most in here, I instantly loved Shake It Off. Had it on repeat when getting ready for work this morning. :p I just don'tt take Taylor too seriously, as she doesn't take herself seriously. She's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

I really like the album cover too.
    I've been trying to shake the vague uneasiness over the new Taylor sound, at least in this first single. As much as I've goofed on Taylor Swift in the past, there was always a bit of uh, damn, look at her selling that story while she plays that crappy guitar and sings off key. Yeah, she was telling immature little kid stories, but at least she owned it and stadiums of little kids ate it up. She was a little folky and flat and mediocre but it was original. No one else was trying to tow a line between country and pop. Now she's gone and went all machined and synched pop-girl. That song today could have any number of pop girls singing it and it wouldn't make a difference. Cos who cares?
    It's either all that, or my vague uneasiness is simply based on the death of GeordieLady. Cause she is never gonna come back and champion her fav after this complete turn to pop. I'm gonna miss that bat crazy girl.

GeordieLady died? I never knew that. :(
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this song and I am so excited for the new album. However, I feel like she should have released this before 'Red' and then grown from there as more albums in the vein of 'Red' will give her longevity.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it personally! I mean, deep down I'll always love her songs that are more in the vein of Last Kiss, Mine etc but I think Taylor needed to do this for herself and personally, so long as she doesn't completely ditch her country sound forever then I'm ok with that.

Shake It Off is really catchy, love the message behind it and that she isn't taking herself too seriously.

If this album does really well I could even see her releasing her next album with two choices: the pop version or country version. Very excited for 1989!
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like her last 3 albums (I'm 27... I should feel more ashamed of this). Not sure about this one. I tend to like her more story-telling songs than the big half-shouty ones. Hopefully the other tracks will be more interesting.
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that this is just unapologetic FUN. I don't listen to pop music for life-changing lyrics or serious messages 95% of the time. It's a song to which anyone can just dance like an idiot. Hopefully she'll experiment with this album, do some interesting things and progress. She's at the point where she can do pretty much anything and people will buy it as loyal fans or to watch the train wreck or something in between.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She really is my guilty pleasure:blush::o:D:p
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love that this is just unapologetic FUN. It's a song to which anyone can just dance like an idiot.

I have to agree with his. This is exactly what Shake It Off is all about.

I'm not even a Taylor Swift fan but as a pop song i think it's fantastic. I've come to really like it now after the first listen last night and it's a pure fire smash hit for me. Really catchy, up-tempo, just a very cheesy and cheery song.

I said in my earlier post the song reminded me of something and i now remember, it's very much like a Bruno Mars song from his 1st album and that to me is where the similarity comes from. I could totally imagine him singing this song in his own way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a perfect pop song for the masses. It's like a commercial jingle. Bruno, Katy, Rihanna, Nicki, 1D, Jessie, Brittany, Arianna (be sure to add Iggy in for spoken part), and any other flavor of the day pop singer could have had the song made for them by Martin and Shellback and covered this just the same. Sure, Bruno would have danced better, but than you couldn't relate to him. Goofy Taylor works better in the video.
    It's a guaranteed radio hit. Bing bang boom. No heart or soul, but with a pat "shake it off" feel good, catchy verse. well done. Sure to be played on repeat for the next four months, make a couple people a few extra million. All in a day's work.
  • Options
    ItsAnObsessionItsAnObsession Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it! Its so catchy.. its been stuck in my head since yesterday :o

Its doing really well on iTunes..
    #1 US
    #1 Australia
    #1 Brazil
    #1 Canada
    #1 Greece
    #1 Ireland
    #1 New Zealand
    #1 Norway
    #1 Turkey
    #1 Spain
    #1 Sweden
    #2 UK
    #2 Italy
    #2 South Africa
    #3 Poland
    #5 Finland
    #5 Netherlands
    #6 Denmark
    #6 France
    #10 India
    #12 Germany
    #12 Belgium
    #15 Austria
    #15 Russia
    #24 Switzerland

And its climbing!
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She just keeps getting worse. She comes across as someone so desperate. I respected her back when she did country, when she never tried too hard and just focussed on her fantastic songwriting and her vocals.

It's obvious her and her label are more interested in getting top 10's all around the world, then they are with the quality of music.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a perfect pop song for the masses. It's like a commercial jingle. Bruno, Katy, Rihanna, Nicki, 1D, Jessie, Brittany, Arianna (be sure to add Iggy in for spoken part), and any other flavor of the day pop singer could have had the song made for them by Martin and Shellback and covered this just the same. Sure, Bruno would have danced better, but than you couldn't relate to him. Goofy Taylor works better in the video.
    It's a guaranteed radio hit. Bing bang boom. No heart or soul, but with a pat "shake it off" feel good, catchy verse. well done. Sure to be played on repeat for the next four months, make a couple people a few extra million. All in a day's work.

So are you saying you like it? :confused:
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She just keeps getting worse. She comes across as someone so desperate. I respected her back when she did country, when she never tried too hard and just focussed on her fantastic songwriting and her vocals.

It's obvious her and her label are more interested in getting top 10's all around the world, then they are with the quality of music.

I don't think she's trying too hard or is desperate at all, I think it's the exact opposite. She's loaded. she wouldn't have to work another day in her life if she didn't want to. She's just having fun with her music.

Whatever she puts out, it's likely going to sell well. She is that huge, and has that big a fan base. So I don't think it's case of her record label only caring about chart positions, as they know she's pretty much guaranteed good chart positions, and I don't think that's what's most important to her either. She's just making music that she wants to make. Be that country, country/pop, or just flat out pop like Shake It Off is, and they're completely behind her on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    So are you saying you like it? :confused:

Lol. :)

It's catchy as hell. It's polished. Its produced to the 9th degree. What's not to like here? Come on. There was never a question it was gonna be a huge hit. The system is down. Probably took a hard fought 30 mins to crank that out. Maybe a little longer to get the vocals down just right (spoken word part is gotta be a bitch).
    One thing that stayed the same here with Taylor is the running theme of "why you gotta be so mean". For a wealthy beyond measure, pretty, young, talented, successful, privileged white girl, TS seems to feel like she is persecuted beyond the average tabloid pop star. Is that just me? Haters gonna hate hate hate.
    I'm gonna bet the rest of the album is much the same. I say 1.4 million first week. Watch out Britney, there's a new pop star in town. Lol.