Options

In the Night Garden : A complaint

WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Good evening.

I'd like to use this forum just here to complain about a particular childerns program, In the Night Garden.

Now, although I have various other issues in regards to these types of programs, there is one thing about this childrens show that just bugs the hell out of me.

Ready?

Ok.

This program has no sense of scale.

Now, I imagine you're thinking " wtf is he talking about", well let me explain.

I have watched this program time and time again due to having a small child. Now, I expect that the makers of the program have the best interests of the children at heart, but on numerous occasions I have seen the sense of scale on this program mislead people.

For example, on todays program, the Tomblyboos were in the Pinky Ponk, drinking some juice. Now, they were able to get in and out of the Pinky Ponk with relative ease. However, later on the same program, Iggle Piggle and Upsy Daisy also went in to the Pinky Ponk. All of these characters were displayed as the same size. Now, at the end of the show as they were doing the dance, Iggle Piggle was depcited as a giant in comparision to the rest.

But but but but but, this facade does not end there.

I have seen other episodes, when the Pinky Ponk is, lets say the size of a football, when Iggle Piggle is portayed as being the same size of a normal human being!

Clearly, the sense of scale in this program is deluding the mind of my son.

I have seen Makkpakka sit in the Ninky Nonk and come out the door side by side with Iggle Piggle, yet when they are shown together, they are completly different sizes!

I could go on.

The contsant disrespect that this program makers show for the sense of scale. I fear that if I were to allow my son to continue to watch this program, he may become deluded regarding the scale of objects and any sense of perspective.

I read a short story written by Will Self a few years ago about a man who loses his sense of scale. This man wanders in to a model village and is able to enter a house. When he exits, he is a smaller scale model of himself! Is this the future for our children?!!

I dread the day he asks for a Lego Pirate ship at xmas. After too many episodes watching this distorted view of scale and perspective, we may end up with a 1:100 child.

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol! :d
  • Options
    DRofThuganomicsDRofThuganomics Posts: 4,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids see past that though I doubt very much a 2 year old is going to turn round and say to their parents " You know what mum I only just noticed Iggle Piggle is much taller than Makka Pakka" Or even begin to beg the question on how big the Og Pog that Makka Pakka rides.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I take it you didnt see the Teeny Tiny Pontypines :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you didnt see the Teeny Tiny Pontypines

Oh I did. But after being fooled by this program before, I am slightly suspicious as to how Tiny and Teeny they actually are.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I'm more outraged by all the racial slurs you just used. Ninky Nonk and Tomblyboos? Disgusting.
  • Options
    Paul M CPaul M C Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too, have noticed the lack of scale in this programme - awful isn't it? ;)

Actually my two year old loves it and I daresay I would too, after coming back from the pub after a few beers - I expect the sense of scale wouldn't then bother me so much...:)

No, on a serious note for a second, the scaling issues (especially regarding the Ninky Nonk which trundles on, seemingly minature, at the end of each edition (compared to Iggle Piggle) has already been queried many times to the programme makers, Ragdoll Productions and series deviser, Anne Wood (off Teletubbies fame)...

The basic answer is that the whole show is a "dream like" world that has "no sense of scale" and that the intended pre-school audience wouldn't really pick up on such issues...

Either that is true, or it's a cover up for a post production error that wasn't spotted in time!!!!!!!
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Is this a computer program? Or a television programme?

If it is a computer program,there must be some sort of virus.

Television programmes are purely fantasy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about reality tv programs?
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upsy Daisy is clearly too big for the Ninky Nonk, but I do think the Tombliboos and Pontipines are fine compared to Igglepiggle, but only when they are not around the Wottingers or Haahoos. Of course none of this is true if the in the presence of the Tittifers or if they are near the Pinky Ponk. Don't even get me started on Makka Pakka.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Willbert wrote: »
    What about reality tv programs?
    Them even more so.
  • Options
    millymilly Posts: 5,871
    Forum Member
    Didn't have these kind of problems with mary mungo and midge andy pandy lol.
  • Options
    SamlinSamlin Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    The worst example was the piss poor 1980s Hanna Barbera cartoon "godzilla".

The fun character Godzuki varied scale depending on what the scene called for. One moment godzuki would be hiding in a wardrobe, and a few seconds later he would be floating in the sea with two children playing tennis on his belly.

..Anyway here is a clip, not demonstrating the scale issue , but showing that godzuki was indeed a "fun character"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrQjr6KAJvU
    Up from the depths
    Thirty stories high
    Breathing fire
    His head in the sky
    Godzilla!
    Godzilla!
    Godzilla!

And Godzookie...
  • Options
    IdlecatIdlecat Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quote Don't even get me started on Makka Pakka. Quote

Is anyone else concerned about the character Makka Pakka who clearly has COPD . He is obsessed with cleaning and collecting large stones which he places in intermittant piles and brings back to his cave home - even takes one into his bed at night. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched the programme all the way through, but it does sound disturbing.
  • Options
    wur86wur86 Posts: 10,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all the flatulence that gets me.
  • Options
    TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the episode where the Tomblyboos kept losing their 'Tomblyboo Trousers'...I was shocked! :o:D
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Idlecat wrote: »
    Quote Don't even get me started on Makka Pakka. Quote

Is anyone else concerned about the character Makka Pakka who clearly has COPD . He is obsessed with cleaning and collecting large stones which he places in intermittant piles and brings back to his cave home - even takes one into his bed at night. :rolleyes:

I think he has an "identity" issue :( - the poor bloke lives on his own, no one ever 'phones him up and asks him if he fancies a pint down the pub..... :(

all the others have mates - Iggle has got Upsy, the Tombliboos have each other, as do the Haahoos - poor old Makka has no one!

I think he takes the stones home with him, for just something to talk to.....

*stifles a tear thinking about Makka Pakka's loneliness :cry: *
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Is it wrong that I'm feeling like I should be watching this programme?! I feel like I'm missing out!
  • Options
    wur86wur86 Posts: 10,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahlil wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I'm feeling like I should be watching this programme?! I feel like I'm missing out!

:eek: You've never watched it?:eek::D
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a computer program? Or a television programme?

If it is a computer program,there must be some sort of virus.

C,BEEBIES for the teenies!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    wur86 wrote: »
    :eek: You've never watched it?:eek::D

I've seen bits when I'm at a friends house cos her little boy LOVES it! It all seems very... trippy!!
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you didnt see the Teeny Tiny Pontypines :D

We should get social services onto the Ponypines. The whole family sleep in one room and two beds and there are ten of them.
  • Options
    TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milly wrote: »
    Didn't have these kind of problems with mary mungo and midge andy pandy lol.

Oh I don't know about that..Mary was always 'home alone' in that block of flats, with only a dog and a mouse for company. ;)
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    You not the only one with concerns about this programme. Apparently, people have complained that Upsy Daisy is not "black enough"! :eek: Personally, I feel Iggle Piggle has an unhealthy attachment to his blanket and I think he should be psychologically assessed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    sarahlil wrote: »

same here! the names alone intrigue me, think im gonna pack my job in and start watching kids daytime tv!:D:D
This discussion has been closed.