No Badfinger Threads? Really?

TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Maybe I am being blind, but there have been no Badfinger threads appearing on here after this week? Really?
I could be facetious and suggest because they wrote and played their own stuff. But I wont.
I could be facetious and suggest they sound tracked something smarter than the musical surfs would watch. But i wont.
Badfinger, Bitch!

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Have you just watched the Breaking Bad Finale or summat, Shane? :D
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tbh i never liked em.... ok they managed to compose a few really good tracks, but as i see it they are being given far more credit these days then they deserve. if they hadnt have composed 'without you' (which thanks to ms carey has been turned into a horrible wail-fest) theyd have slipped into pop obscurity.

think their mentor sir paul, also elevated their status by referring to coldplay as 'a third rate badfinger copy act'..

they only had 3 hits (i only liked day after day) out of half a dozen releases. even the many albums they released failed to make the top 40. tbh, i hadnt even realised they had released so many, so they were pretty obscure imho.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The album Straight Up is my favourite, and it is full of very good songs.

Their connection to The Beatles helped get them noticed, but probably affected them too, as they were touted by some as being "the new" Beatles, when clearly they weren't.

They never reached the standard many hoped for, apart from Straight Up, but I liked them.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A crap band name didn't help either.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Have you just watched the Breaking Bad Finale or summat, Shane? :D

Aye. Again.
    Had a night out, came home, struggled to sleep, so got up and watched it again. Must have been about the fifth time this week.
    Had a huge grin on my face when it started playing.
    I'm going to have to give myself a mild form of amnesia somehow so I can forget and watch it all anew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh i never liked em.... ok they managed to compose a few really good tracks, but as i see it they are being given far more credit these days then they deserve. if they hadnt have composed 'without you' (which thanks to ms carey has been turned into a horrible wail-fest) theyd have slipped into pop obscurity.

think their mentor sir paul, also elevated their status by referring to coldplay as 'a third rate badfinger copy act'..

they only had 3 hits (i only liked day after day) out of half a dozen releases. even the many albums they released failed to make the top 40. tbh, i hadnt even realised they had released so many, so they were pretty obscure imho.

Couldn't agree more about Mariahs cover. Falls into the dreadful trap of singing a dozen notes when one will do. Nilssons version is pretty much perfect.
    There's an argument for Coldplay being a 'third rate' version of a few acts, I wouldn't have picked Badfinger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    A crap band name didn't help either.

If I remember rightly, at one point they were going to be called Laxtons Superb, then The Iveys, Badfinger isn't that bad a name in hind sight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    If I remember rightly, at one point they were going to be called Laxtons Superb, then The Iveys, Badfinger isn't that bad a name in hind sight.

they did release a single in the uk, and an album under the name 'the iveys'.

i mistakenly thought they were a truncated form of the band 'the ivy league' who charted in the mis 60's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more about Mariahs cover. Falls into the dreadful trap of singing a dozen notes when one will do. Nilssons version is pretty much perfect.
    There's an argument for Coldplay being a 'third rate' version of a few acts, I wouldn't have picked Badfinger.

agree about nilssons version being pretty much perfect. it has become the definitive version until the mariah army hi-jacked it. :mad: one of the biggest hatchet jobs ever done to a track in pop history.

tbh neither would i (have picked badfinger ), but that was sir macca for you...
  • ScratchplateScratchplate Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They were already called The Iveys when The Beatles signed them. The Badfinger name came from "Badfinger Boogie" which was what Ringo called the demo version of "With a Little Help From My Friends".

Laxtons Superb was George Harrisons favourite type of apple. He wanted to use it as the logo for Apple Corps but they opted for a Granny Smith's instead.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Badfinger threads, but plenty of Bad Singer ones. :D;)

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were already called The Iveys when The Beatles signed them. The Badfinger name came from "Badfinger Boogie" which was what Ringo called the demo version of "With a Little Help From My Friends".

Laxtons Superb was George Harrisons favourite type of apple. He wanted to use it as the logo for Apple Corps but they opted for a Granny Smith's instead.

Laxtons Superb was also the working title of I Want To Tell You on Revolver.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

someone needs to invent a rimshot emoticon thing.
    Forum Member
    Pretty tragic band history to be honest (2 suicides, separated by years, both by hanging). From what I have read they were royally shafted by the industry of the day.

PS Shane, I'm probably beating you on the BB Finale re-watches as I think I've now watched it 7 times. Yes, I AM an obsessive. :D
  • ScratchplateScratchplate Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laxtons Superb was also the working title of I Want To Tell You on Revolver.

Even more Beatles trivia to clutter my brain with, thanks mate. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty tragic band history to be honest (2 suicides, separated by years, both by hanging). From what I have read they were royally shafted by the industry of the day.

PS Shane, I'm probably beating you on the BB Finale re-watches as I think I've now watched it 7 times. Yes, I AM an obsessive. :D

They had no luck at all. Apple was falling apart as they were trying to release records. And then all that stuff you mentioned. I think the only way a band could be unluckier would be if it was made entirely of Spinal Tap drummers.

I've been converting friends and family like a God Bothering Preacher threatening fire and brimstone if they don't start watching. I'm getting there.
    Everyone is at different stages of viewing, so there's a lot of lip biting trying not to spoil things.
    Forum Member
    They had no luck at all. Apple was falling apart as they were trying to release records. And then all that stuff you mentioned. I think the only way a band could be unluckier would be if it was made entirely of Spinal Tap drummers.

I've been converting friends and family like a God Bothering Preacher threatening fire and brimstone if they don't start watching. I'm getting there.
    Everyone is at different stages of viewing, so there's a lot of lip biting trying not to spoil things.

Tell me about it - me and the missus go to the local pub quiz every Tuesday and the whole table of friends (some weeks numbering as many as 20) are ALL watching it on our recommendation through netflix and of course they are all at different stages so talk of BB is now banned until everyone has watched the finale. :D It's the only TV series I am genuinely tempted to watch the whole way through again :eek::o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me about it - me and the missus go to the local pub quiz every Tuesday and the whole table of friends (some weeks numbering as many as 20) are ALL watching it on our recommendation through netflix and of course they are all at different stages so talk of BB is now banned until everyone has watched the finale. :D It's the only TV series I am genuinely tempted to watch the whole way through again :eek::o

I was off work for a bit of time over summer and rewatched it all again in preparation for 5B, and I'm thinking of doing a rewatch again when 5B is out to buy.
    Coincidentally this is when I am on holiday from work. Again, coincidence.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've mentioned Badfinger in passing a few times on here.

Anyone who thinks they are crap should listen to Wish You Were Here. The album I think Warners had pulled in its initial release, with the Stan Polley situation not helping. (Rip off bastard.)
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing you need to own by them is 'Straight Up' the rest is pretty meh at best.

And Crystal Blue Persuasion remains the best BB music choice :)

If your not already on the bandwagon Justified is the next port of call now BB is over...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D:D
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I remember John Ham's music shop in Swansea when I was a teenager.

I didn't realise that he was Pete's brother.