Options

BBC HD channels gone

GBNL012GBNL012 Posts: 38
Forum Member
Hi,
BBC4 HD and BBC News HD have disappeared from my TV. I've Googled it and there's nothing about BBC HD channels disappearing and I've even done a re-tune and no luck there. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks
(P.S I think I'm served by Winterhill)

Comments

• Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Hi,
    BBC4 HD and BBC News HD have disappeared from my TV. I've Googled it and there's nothing about BBC HD channels disappearing and I've even done a re-tune and no luck there. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks
    (P.S I think I'm served by Winterhill)

Don't worry you're not the only one to be facing this problem. I lost the same mux containing these channels on Friday, I haven't checked whether or not they've returned but I'm guessing they haven't.

I'm on the Crystal Palace transmitter.

I believe others are having similar issues http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2014463
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why you think there is a problem with COM 7 services with so few complainants...

OK the service monitoring of the old (pre-DSO) kit may not be quite as comprehensive and some parts of the service provision by Arqiva may not be as fault-tolerant but I expect the BBC would expect to get a pretty reliable service (almost equal to that specified for their main two muxes) and be informed of any issues so they can place those faults on their public-facing website area.

To lose the service (mux) altogether indicates either an inadequate aerial system (due to transmit power and frequency differences from other muxes received from the same site); or enhanced propagation interference from other transmitters (typically being cyclical loss around dawn/dusk - when the high pressure weather systems are around).

Any issues in Code & Mux would affect ALL transmitters and therefore an even greater number of viewers.

As CP is the watched by more viewers than any other site (BBC London staff as well) and Winter Hill feeds to BBC Manchester staff viewers, I'd have expected fault feedback to come from that route as well.

Just checked and Tacolneston is fine for COM 7 (using a wideband aerial), towards the edge of its service area.

However the place to contact regarding the perceived fault with BBC services is http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/about_us
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a number of possibilities. You'll have to eliminate them, one by one but you can start by replacing the fly-lead.
    See http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview_problems.htm
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a com7 problem at winter hill, not picked up by telemetry or BBC staff, in august which I and pilgrim reported to Digital UK, (see BBC4 HD winter hill thread). Arqiva agreed and the fault was fixed in september. I haven't noticed any problems recently.
    It does make me wonder how many people, including BBC Manchester staff, watch these services.