Options

Coca Cola are robbing us

124»

Comments

• Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I'm finding 2 litre bottles of Sainsbury's Regular (55p) and Asda's (42p) Cola quite palatable.

The main time I buy Coca Cola these days is if Santa is on the bottle at Christmas. :)
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Bread rolls at 95p each?

I pay between £1 and £1.50 for 21 slices of bread.

Somehow I think a loaf of bread would work out cheaper than the equivalent in luxury items.

That's a pack of rolls, not one bread roll. Pack of 6 I think it was. They were 95p a pack or £2 if you purchased 2 packs. Sorry I had make that clear for you. When do ever see one individual bread roll being sold on it's own?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they don't rob me. I buy own brand colas for about 50p/bottle.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    The only one I've found that comes close to The Real Thing is Asda Chosen by You and it's not the same at all. They tend to contain more co2 and while the flavour might be very similar it has a tendency to taste a bit thin and watery. Coca-cola has a very full boddied flavour almost as if it contains more caramel or something and whilst some imitations come remarkably close, a regular coke drinker can definitely tell the difference and as far as I'm concerned Pepsi takes like that draught stuff you get in pubs so isn't even a consideration.

There are some items I'm happy to buy the cheap versions of and others where anything but the top brand simply doesn't cut the mustard. Coke, baked beans, ketchup and Fairy liquid happen to be just a few where the own brand variety just isn't the same.

it's all just flavoured sugar water. it's a question of whether there is enough difference in taste between branded and non-branded colas to justify the additional cost. same as with any purchase, really.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I don't know. You said it affected inflation so I was asking.

It was a general comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's all just flavoured sugar water. it's a question of whether there is enough difference in taste between branded and non-branded colas to justify the additional cost. same as with any purchase, really.

When my family kept a pub we had a customer that could tell the difference between Schweppes ginger ale and Britvic Ginger ale even though he had brandy and ice with it. He would only ever have Schweppes because that's what he liked and was used to.

We'd ran out of Schweppes one night and my dad tried to fob him off with Britvic when he wasn't looking and the guy pulled him up on it and said, "That definitely isn't Schweppes". How he knew I'll never know as we never let him see the bottle and to me they tasted identical but he knew for sure. From that day on we never did it again.

People who drink something all the time for years know when something isn't the same and I guess if you're used to liking a specific brand then it's difficult to like something else. I have tried other colas and they're OK but I still prefer coke.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waitrose has two 1.75l for £2.50, seems best offer.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iceland, three 3 litre bottles for a fiver. I'll go with Pepsi rather than buy a 1.75litre bottle, sugar and water and they're trying to profiteer like that. >:(
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lengthy discussion about expensive, coloured sugar water that probably contributes to diabetes, and about other processed foods that can't be good for you.

In Greece, most people buy seasonal fresh veg sold by weight and fresh meat from the butcher (if they eat meat). Sauce doesn't come in a bottle full of sugar and preservatives; it's made, for example, by chopping tomato, onion, garlic, herbs and frying them in olive oil. Delicious and healthy. Keeps in the 'fridge for several days.

Unfortunately, many locals are killing themselves by eating supermarket food and by smoking.

Everyone knows the healthy options but some choose to ignore them. Thankfully, the healthy foods are the rule, in Greece, rather than the exception, so it's easy to eat healthily if you want to. In the UK you have to work a bit harder at it.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When do ever see one individual bread roll being sold on it's own?

When I pass the (fresh) bakery counter of a supermarket?

Mind you, I don't look at the price / pricing as I just go for multi packed items too. :D
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Waitrose has two 1.75l for £2.50, seems best offer.

Morrisons has the same offer on too... Although the 2 for £2 offer in Tesco beats them both.
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that in somewhere like Tesco where all your shopping goes through the scanner and the till adds up any promotional offers at the checkout, you don't have that option unless you physically hold one of them back and put it through on a separate transaction. Otherwise on such and offer as this you will end up being charged the higher offer price for 2 instead of working it out separately and charging you less. When Tesco have what I refer to as reverse promotions as these the customer will end up out of pocket unless he's savvy enough to realise and stick them through as two separate transactions. They really need to get their act together because it's just plain wrong to do this. Whether it's a pricing error or not is irrelevant. The customer is still being done out of pocket unless they've been quick enough to spot it.

They don't go through at the higher price, the offer price is so you can add another product from the range on offer which is a higher price.

So 2 x 40p items don't equal £1 but

There may be some items for 60 or 70p in the offer these will trigger the 2 for £1.

Just a few weeks back Tesco had a drink on offer where it was cheaper to buy 2 than walk out with 1

OP it is the CoOp ripping you off as is normal for their soft drink prices http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/cce-replaces-two-litre-coke-bottles-with-175/354039.article
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    Just a few weeks back Tesco had a drink on offer where it was cheaper to buy 2 than walk out with 1.

On a few occasions before they stopped selling the 2l botles Coca Cola bottles, Tesco had them at £2.08 each, or 2 for £2.
  • Options
    Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my local shop, the "meal deal" often means it's cheaper to get the 3 items, than any 2 of them
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pound shop sometimes sell 2l of Pepsi for a £1
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not robbing me because I never buy it. In fact I rarely buy any fizzy drinks, but I did used to like Budgen's own-brand, sugar-free American cola. It had far more of an adult taste than many of the cloyingly sweet concoctions that you usually find.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    They don't go through at the higher price, the offer price is so you can add another product from the range on offer which is a higher price.

So 2 x 40p items don't equal £1 but

There may be some items for 60 or 70p in the offer these will trigger the 2 for £1.

Just a few weeks back Tesco had a drink on offer where it was cheaper to buy 2 than walk out with 1

OP it is the CoOp ripping you off as is normal for their soft drink prices http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/cce-replaces-two-litre-coke-bottles-with-175/354039.article

Oh but they do. See my post #68 on the previous page and checkout the two links I provided.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's annoying is that I was finding that providing 2x2 litre bottles for each party was sufficient for mixers. 2x1.75 litres isn't enough, so I'd be forced into buying three. So I have to pay more money.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    everytime i buy 2 litres , i always end up leaving about quarter of bottle anyway and throw it out ..
    so 1.75l means id waste less, so its a good thing

These big bottles don't stay fizzy for more than 2 or 3 days once you open them. The 2 litre bottles aren't quite such value for money if you are the only one to drink them and intend them to last a while

But it's unfair for them to drop the 2 litre size for people who do find them best value for money. All this "It's for your own good" re: reducing severe obesity when they reduce the sizes is ridiculous. Why couldn't they have kept the 2 litre size as well as offering the new 1.75 litre size. What about the people who are not severely obese despite drinking the full sugar 2 litre options?
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Have you tried the new green coke?

Err not if the poster has diabetes. It's still got sugar in it.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Morrisons has the same offer on too... Although the 2 for £2 offer in Tesco beats them both.

What if you have to pay a £1 higher bus fare to get to Tesco and back after passing Morrison's on the way on the same bus?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Err not if the poster has diabetes. It's still got sugar in it.

Yes but it's got a lot less. I'm fairly sure diabetics can still consume sugar.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also...... smaller bottles take up slightly less space in delivery van per amount transported .......