Options

Controversial music opinions.

Comments

• Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    This isn't a controversial opinion, this is just uninformed rubbish.

Consider the difference between this:

"Dark Side of the Moon is a really boring album"

and this:

"Adele can't sing."

One is controversial. The other is just wrong.

not sure i follow you there
    the first statement is true, the second debatable
    don't see where wrongness or controversy comes in to it
  • Options
    Vauxhall NovaVauxhall Nova Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruckner's 9th symphony is better than Beethoven's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adele is the most overrated artist in the history of music.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madness are the best band of the eighties.

thats not controversial.. they were clearly one of the best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen are awful with terrible lyrics.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    The Saturdays have redefined british music in the last three years:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Janet Jackson was a far better dancer than Michael.
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're still an ignorant idiot who hasn't answered my question.

Wow you sure are rude!
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Madonna is actually a very good singer, for ballads. She has a lovely clear voice and I can make out every word she's singing. Even on her more squeaky voiced songs.

Lady Gaga should change her look and musical direction completely, she has a very good rock voice and would look great with black hair and torn jeans/tee shirt and battered black leather jacket.

Mark Ronson is actually very clever and talented, good looking, seems friendly and has the best dress sense in music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clare Teal. I've tried to like her, but she is just too bland even for me. She's like Karen Carpenter with all the oomph taken out (not that Carpenter ever had a lot of it).
    Actually, is that controversial, or am I voicing a majority opinion?
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady Gaga should change her look and musical direction completely, she has a very good rock voice and would look great with black hair and torn jeans/tee shirt and battered black leather jacket.

Given that she's gone on record as saying she's a huge fan of bands like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden (who she recently went to see live!), I would not at all be surprised to see her taking a more rock-orientated direction eventually.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Madonna is actually a very good singer, for ballads. She has a lovely clear voice and I can make out every word she's singing. Even on her more squeaky voiced songs.

It's been done before. That's never stopped her up to now though, has it? :D

It would make a change from wearing Peter Gabriel's old frocks I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said it before but Yoko Ono's music is a million times better than the The Beatles!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruckner's 9th symphony is better than Beethoven's.

Ouch..........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazymonk wrote: »
    I've said it before but Yoko Ono's music is a million times better than the The Beatles!

Yeeeeeh and your name is 'crazymonk'
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go

I think Slayer are one of the worst bands ever to record. And they are boring.

I say I like death metal but Mobid Angel just sound like crap to me

I think most Garage is worthless chav idiots pretending to be slim shady.

My three most fav rappers are all white (one is a jew as well!)

I actually thought Backstreet Boys were a good group, as were the cheeky girls. They never pretended to be anything other than what they were. It was simple pop music and they embraced it.

I like that one slow song with the toy box music that Britney Spears did.

I think the rolling stones are amazing, whilst I question why the beatles are so loved.

I think nu-metal had plenty of good bands with good albums

I like dubstep for about the first minute, then it gets boring.

I listen to game soundtracks in the same way I listen to other music (even ambient silent hill crap which isnt even music but noise)

I didnt see the appeal in Amy Winehouse. Just seemed like yet another wannabe soul singer like Anastasia and the like.

Ginger Spice was the one I thought most attractive.

OH, I thought St Anger wasnt as bad as people made out, and also, Master of Puppets is overated.

Heavy metal and all its subgenres are not in fact the bastion of skill as many would like to think.

Not very unique, but I also think that music has been shit for a long time, and the last great band we had was Oasis (I am not even a big fan, but they were the last mega rock outfit we had)
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most soul and Motown music is a pile of shite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J6ngo1977 wrote: »
    Yeeeeeh and your name is 'crazymonk'

Great comeback, shame it doesn't actually mean anything, my statement still stands.;)
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Ke$ha's underrated
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the following opinions are particularly controversial, but they're mine :p And that is enough for me.

‣ I have no patience to listen to singers like Celine Deon, Whitney etc. I respect their talent and commend them for getting so far with it, but I am all about eccentricities or "quirks" in a voice. Singers like Ellie Goulding, Diana Vickers, Marina Diamandis, Charli XCX etc. add such personality to their material that I couldn't imagine other singers pulling off. Regardless of how generic the production on their songs are, their voice adds such a dimension that couldn't be replaced by anyone.

‣ It is not necessary for an artist to write their own material. Sure, I have a hell of a lot more respect for someone who slaves to write their own stuff, but it doesn't prevent from me enjoying the end result. Someone like Britney Spears or Beyonce is a performer/entertainer. Someone like Kate Bush is an artist, through and through.

‣ Madonna is an artist, not an entertainer. While her last few albums haven't exactly been up to scratch and she may come across as a bit of a b*tch, to deny she is an artist is stupid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    The Beatles, Adele, Michael Jackson, Coldplay are all crap.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    OH, I thought St Anger wasnt as bad as people made out, and also, Master of Puppets is overated.

Try seeing your GP, they might do ear syringing at your local surgery :p:D;)
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Ginger Spice was the one I thought most attractive.

This one isn't so controversial, and one I agree with. ;)
    When the Spice Girls were huge she was also dubbed as Sexy Spice because some thought 'Ginger' didn't express any sort of personality like the other nicknames (Scary, Sporty, Posh, Baby) did.
    I'd say she was also the most popular member, and part of the reason for that was to do with her appealing image and fashion sense (the union jack dress springs to mind when she alone was planted across every newspaper following their Brits performance).
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that a band dared to call themselves The Saturdays when there had already been a far superior band called The Sundays.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some thought 'Ginger' didn't express any sort of personality like the other nicknames (Scary, Sporty, Posh, Baby) did.

I don't think that Baby expressed Emma Bunton's personality either though. Wasn't she just called that because she was the youngest in the group?