Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 5)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    lillabet wrote: »
    Obediah Dingle is the father, she is cousin to Zaks children, but it dosen;t seem to say who the mother is

Ah ok! Thanks! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it can't be for her intelligence Jaded :D

I'm even more confused now :eek: :p

Charity and Cain are second cousins (she is a cousin of Zak, Shadrach, Caleb and Albert). Charity is the daughter of Obediah Dingle (a sibling of Jedediah Dingle, Zak's father)
    Forum Member
    lillabet wrote: »
    Charity and Cain are second cousins (she is a cousin of Zak, Shadrach, Caleb and Albert). Charity is the daughter of Obediah Dingle (a sibling of Jedediah Dingle, Zak's father)

Ohhh, so she's Zak's (and therefore was also Shadrach's) first cousin?
    Forum Member
    Ohhh, so she's Zak's (and therefore was also Shadrach's) first cousin?

OMG, you just said that.

IGNORE ME. I'm obviously half asleep this afternoon.

Sorry.:o
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zak's first wife went to live in ireland

sam and cain are half brothers because zak once went with shadrach(who was his brother)s wife who is cain and chas from the pub's mum

i'm not sure what relation charity is that bit always confuses me
    hope that's helpful

Zak's kids are Butch , Ben , Sam , Cain , Tina and Belle if that helps

Apparently there's another son called Nathan
  • dobby's bludgerdobby's bludger Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Zak's kids are Butch , Ben , Sam , Cain , Tina and Belle if that helps
    Apparently there's another son called Nathan
    yes i know the names of zak's kids, i think the scriptwriters
    said there isn't a nathan, so zak's kids are just the ones listed above
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes i know the names of zak's kids, i think the scriptwriters
    said there isn't a nathan, so zak's kids are just the ones listed above

Cool , I was just clearing that up for people who didn't know

Have we ever met Marlon's mum ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight's episode was very underwhelming, the amount of time people have off in that factory is ludicrous, I mean the writers could try a little realism. Why do people keep walking into houses without so much as a cursory knock just because scruffy dad is only living down the road doesn't leave him carte blanch to walk in whenever he wants. That was really laughable at the end when Lisa said she didn't even know what being sectioned was
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    Tonight's episode was very underwhelming, the amount of time people have off in that factory is ludicrous, I mean the writers could try a little realism. Why do people keep walking into houses without so much as a cursory knock just because scruffy dad is only living down the road doesn't leave him carte blanch to walk in whenever he wants. That was really laughable at the end when Lisa said she didn't even know what being sectioned was

BIB 1 - Words cant describe how much that annoys me if that was the real world well then Laurel, Lisa and the others who do it would have been sacked long ago and for them not to even have a formal warning about it ijust beggers belief!

BIB 2 - I think it was more insulting than laughable of course Lisa knows what being sectioned is FFS even Brenda would know what it is so why do the writers continue to pull stupid stunts like that it beggers belief and not only does it insult the characters but us the viewer for having to believe this rubbish!
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB 1 - Words cant describe how much that annoys me if that was the real world well then Laurel, Lisa and the others who do it would have been sacked long ago and for them not to even have a formal warning about it ijust beggers belief!

BIB 2 - I think it was more insulting than laughable of course Lisa knows what being sectioned is FFS even Brenda would know what it is so why do the writers continue to pull stupid stunts like that it beggers belief and not only does it insult the characters but us the viewer for having to believe this rubbish!

Bib - Hang on, hang on - there are seven different Sections covered by the Mental Health Act 1983 - all of which serve different functions and cover different time periods of involuntary detention.

Even as a former RMN, I would expect to be given a proper explanation of and sensitive rationale for whatever section my relative had been detained under.
    I was livid that a so-called named nurse hadn't bother to set aside sufficient time (without interruption) to answer relatives' questions and offer them what reassurance was possible. He also should have made it plain that the closest relative (or her deputy) could make a formal request to hospital management to have the case reviewed and explained that 72 hours would elapse before a decision would be forthcoming.

Also, although 'visiting' is at the head clinician's discretion, concerned relatives need and deserve a very compassionate and sensitive rationale as to why they are being prevented from seeing the patient.

Equally importantly, I've never, ever seen a disturbed, depressed, possibly psychotic patient bunged in a side ward and more or less left to fester - I'd really like to know what Emmerdale are claiming this 'therapy' is because it's a new one on me!

It just smacks of more bungling and lack of proper research to underpin the 'drama'! :rolleyes:

I agree wholeheartedly with what has been pointed out about the factory workforce coming and going as they please - where the hell is this place? Bliddy Neverland?

The rest of the episode was a pail of sick! :mad:
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just smacks of more bungling and lack of proper research to underpin the 'drama'! AIDA.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Aida .Lack of research is what has crossed my mind. in a few storylines they've covered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am stealing Gulf's post from the daily and re posting it here because it speaks for itself
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    'We don't even know what 'being sectioned' means..'

Oh, sod off writers.

They actually had Lisa say this to a nurse- I agree with Aida that it is much more complicated in terms of involuntary detentions under the Mental health Act

but most functioning adults understand what 'being sectioned' means- and she is saying this to a nurse at the hopsital where he husband is being detained

The enitre scene was dire but this line- i just burst out laughing- there is nothing else to do at this point
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what happened to ali's literacy storyline? has it been forgotton about?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most frustrating thing atm is that ED are investing so much time and efforts in these issues and illness-led storylines (and failing) but the most simple things are totally unrealistic. It's difficult to relate to the characters when 90% of what they do or say doesn't make any sense and what happened the previous day is just a distant memory for the characters.
    Cain was worried about Debbie finding out about Amy's pregnancy. But when she found out she was angry for about one hour, then he got bashed on the head and Debbie gave him instant forgiveness. Amy and the baby have never been mentioned again in front of Cain.
    Cain didn't want Debbie to know Zak attacked him. When she found out she was upset for about 10 seconds then when to the hospital shouting and snarling at the hospital staff as she always does.
    There can't be any character development when all feelings are brushed off after a few minutes or episodes. What the characters go through doesn't have any lasting consequences. When the characters are affected by something they've done or happened to them it's always in the form of a breakdown or mental illness.

What I am trying to say is what's the point of trying to do these hard-hitting social realism storylines when the way most characters interact with the other villagers, their own family or at work is totally unrealistic. Despite their wannabe hard-hitting storylines the show lack genuine, lasting complex feelings and emotions. In other words, what makes characters interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    One of the most frustrating thing atm is that ED are investing so much time and efforts in these issues and illness-led storylines (and failing) but the most simple things are totally unrealistic. It's difficult to relate to the characters when 90% of what they do or say doesn't make any sense and what happened the previous day is just a distant memory for the characters.
    Cain was worried about Debbie finding out about Amy's pregnancy. But when she found out she was angry for about one hour, then he got bashed on the head and Debbie gave him instant forgiveness. Amy and the baby have never been mentioned again in front of Cain.
    Cain didn't want Debbie to know Zak attacked him. When she found out she was upset for about 10 seconds then when to the hospital shouting and snarling at the hospital staff as she always does.
    There can't be any character development when all feelings are brushed off after a few minutes or episodes. What the characters go through doesn't have any lasting consequences. When the characters are affected by something they've done or happened to them it's always in the form of a breakdown or mental illness.

What I am trying to say is what's the point of trying to do these hard-hitting social realism storylines when the way most characters interact with the other villagers, their own family or at work is totally unrealistic. Despite their wannabe hard-hitting storylines the show lack genuine, lasting complex feelings and emotions. In other words, what makes characters interesting.

Great post :)
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what happened to ali's literacy storyline? has it been forgotton about?

This is Soapland don't forget, It shouldn't be too long before she's fully literate and can read and write with the best of them.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am stealing Gulf's post from the daily and re posting it here because it speaks for itself

They actually had Lisa say this to a nurse- I agree with Aida that it is much more complicated in terms of involuntary detentions under the Mental health Act

but most functioning adults understand what 'being sectioned' means- and she is saying this to a nurse at the hopsital where he husband is being detained

The enitre scene was dire but this line- i just burst out laughing- there is nothing else to do at this point

It was bad enough that poor Lisa had to say that line, but on the assumption that TPTB think the VIEWERS are too stupid to have any clue as to what it means, and therefore need educating, why didn't they at least have the nurse or doctor or anyone, explain it to her (and therefore us). Lisa learnt nothing and neither did the viewers. :mad:
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charenton wrote: »
    This is Soapland don't forget, It shouldn't be too long before she's fully literate and can read and write with the best of them.

Of course. I heard she's planning on writing a 975 page book entitled 'The Meaning of Life', due to be published in about 3 weeks. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charenton wrote: »

Like when she first arrived;):D
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Of course. I heard she's planning on writing a 975 page book entitled 'The Meaning of Life', due to be published in about 3 weeks. ;)

More like how I learned to read in 6 easy stages. By Ali Spencer

Stage1) spend 40 years not bothering to learn to read

Stage 2) Make terrible error in mixing up order in sweet factory get sacked tell a sob story about not being able to read and be reinstated

Stage 3) Get My boss to pay for lessons and time off. Not that I need much excuse hardly anyone does any work in that factory anyway

Stage 4) Go to the least appropriate place to learn to read, ny sons school so he can be bullied and have his shoes nicked.

Stage 5) While i'm doing that my son gets big crush on my girlfriend, no doubt I will shout a lot when I find all this out

Stage 6 After 3 weeks learning I can read and write normally and this storyline will never ever be heard of again.

It will be a big hit in the Hotton slums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    More like how I learned to read in 5 easy stages. By Ali Spencer

Stage1) spend 40 years not bothering to learn to read

Stage 2) Make terrible error in mixing up order in sweet factory get sacked the tell sob story about not being able to read.

Stage 3) Go to the least appropriate place to learn to read, ny sons school so he can be bullied and have his shoes nicked.

Stage 4) While i'm doing that my son gets big crush on my girlfriend, no doubt I will shout a lot when I find all this out

Stage 5 After 3 weeks learning I can read and write normally and this storyline will never ever be heard of again.

:D:D

Could she not have a mental breakdown as well though:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D

Could she not have a mental breakdown as well though:)

Added extra stage but if you want her sectioned be my guest, according to Emmerdale it is dead easy to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Added extra stage but if you want her sectioned be my guest, according to Emmerdale it is dead easy to do.

I'm not sure how easy it is- Lisa didn't even know what the term meant:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    Cain was worried about Debbie finding out about Amy's pregnancy. But when she found out she was angry for about one hour, then he got bashed on the head and Debbie gave him instant forgiveness. Amy and the baby have never been mentioned again in front of Cain. Cain didn't want Debbie to know Zak attacked him. When she found out she was upset for about 10 seconds then when to the hospital shouting and snarling at the hospital staff as she always does.

debbie probably forgave cain because she thought he might die(but now she doesn't need to have anything to do with him as he's recovered)
    there's no point in mentioning the baby as he's been adopted and that's final- even amy doesn't mention him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how easy it is- Lisa didn't even know what the term meant:D

Well Lisa is as thick as the pig shit she gets from her own pigs, she didn't even notice there was anything wrong with Zak in the first place so understanding the term sectioned was obviously far too much for her to understand.:eek::eek:
This discussion has been closed.