Options

Ofcom launching investigation

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the reason I don't think we will ever get live feed back. A point I was trying to make in another thread and got shot down. If viewers keep on writing to Ofcom about everything then the less we see the better from the producers point of view imo.

I'm not saying Conor didn't deserve the backlash etc. I think there is more than one way to skin a cat and we all had the opportunity of evicting him last Friday. Strategic voting would have worked had people not been so hell bent on Deana topping the votes.
  • Options
    Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jade Goody was a nasty ignorant little bully and the fact that she tragically died doesn't means she was any nicer than she actually was!

Totally agree ...what i am saying is I think what came out of Conors mouth was worse
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but maybe they can discourage them from letting a thug like Connor taint next years house rather than setting a precedent that such behaviour is acceptable

But surely the opposite is true. They showed the incident in order to demonstrate that such behaviour is not acceptable. But as a 'reality TV' show they ought to show a broad spectrum of reality, no? Or would you prefer to see lots of well behaved people that never provide the opportunity to demonstrate what is unacceptable? I think it's a positive thing, as is showing an act of racism, or any one of society's ills, then explaining to the viewers why it's a bad thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I agree. There's a difference between banter and aggressive ranting and no TV programme should be allowed to get away with it. If Deana feels uncomfortable around him, BB should have sorted it straight away. Previous HMs have been thrown out for less. As for Victor Ebuwa, he is seen as a BB hero for some reason but some people remember him as being a nasty piece of work.

Thank you, my sentiments exactly! Absolutely agree with you, especially how a bully like Victor can now be seen as a hero? :confused:
  • Options
    happybbfanhappybbfan Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Trish123 wrote: »
    This is the reason I don't think we will ever get live feed back. A point I was trying to make in another thread and got shot down. If viewers keep on writing to Ofcom about everything then the less we see the better from the producers point of view imo.

I'm not saying Conor didn't deserve the backlash etc. I think there is more than one way to skin a cat and we all had the opportunity of evicting him last Friday. Strategic voting would have worked had people not been so hell bent on Deana topping the votes.

this incident wasn't shown on live feed
    producers chose to show it in the highlights
    but failed to show appropriate punishment
    such as removal of him
  • Options
    minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    quasimoron wrote: »
    Emma stressed that he did get one,C5 have covered their asses on this one.
    The clever thing would have been to warn Conor severely and bury the thing on the cutting room floor.
    They were honest enough to show it, or did not mind hanging Connor out to dry for ratings etc;) so I cant see anything happening.

I worry that that's what they'll do in future, or use the complaints to justify not doing regular BB in the future- as I understand it, Channel 5 were only really interested in Celebrity BB
    I doubt that. As when the Shilpa incident occured Channel 4 was reprimanded for incidents that weren't aired and for letting the bullying get out of hand - not for what was aired. It wasn't about the broadcasting, it was about encouraging it to continue by keeping people that react that way in the house and offending the viewers and most importantly their duty of care for the housemates.

Chan 5 should have aired it. And they should have aired him being kicked out of the house because of it. And they should have aired the housemates being lectured on acceptable and non-acceptable behaviour and why he was kicked out so that even the thickest retard, such as Arron, would figure out that bullying, threats and intimidation are not encouraged.

That's interesting and encouraging- means that even if they don't air something, they can be held accountable for it.

It seems that this current series of BB, they are being particularly divisive. The allowing of nominations talk in the early weeks caused division when they should have been getting to know each other.
  • Options
    B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    jogur wrote: »
    The word gay started in San Francisco and meant "I am as Good As You". Hence the initials GAY.

That sounds like an urban myth, to me.

'Gay' has had sexual connotations for centuries, usually for non-conventional sexual practices, such as prostitution, or promiscuity, including homsexuality.
  • Options
    JanisElizabethJanisElizabeth Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janette800 wrote: »
    Totally agree ...what i am saying is I think what came out of Conors mouth was worse

I would agree with that if he had actually directed it at Deana. Don't get me wrong, it was disgusting and horrible what he said and I still think he should have been removed. However, he did not say those things to Deana, he covered himself by making it into some sort of ridiculous rap so he couldn;t really have been done for threatening behaviour or putting Deana in a state of fear and alarm. Jade, on the other hand, ....... well we all know how that one went so to my mind, she was actually worse. She spat venom at that girl alLthough I firmly believe Shilpa knew exactly what she was doing and she kind of wound them up and led them right where she wanted them to go!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B L Zeebub wrote: »

It's not even a proper backronym. It just sounds like some rubbish from UrbanDictionary.com, home of one-man myths. :D
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH I never got the papers with that one day they were calling her a vile b!tch (this was when she was in BB India they were saying she shouldn't go and is an embarrassment to England ) the day after she found out she was ill she was England's Rose and one of the best people to ever live

I could never undersand that either. It was as though dying turned someone from bad to good.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely the opposite is true. They showed the incident in order to demonstrate that such behaviour is not acceptable.
    If it hadn't been acceptable to them then they wouldn't have accepted it and kept him in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

'Gay' has had sexual connotations for centuries, usually for non-conventional sexual practices, such as prostitution, or promiscuity, including homsexuality.

Well I;ve never heard of that. Until quite recently gay meant happy and jolly. Remember West Side Story " I feel pretty and witty and gay". In fact one of my neighbours in the 70s was called Gaye. I can't imagine her parents would have called her that if it had the kind of sexual connotations you are referring to. I don't think the other poster's explanation sounds like an urban myth at all. In fact it sounds quite feasible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could never undersand that either. It was as though dying turned someone from bad to good.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong. It was very sad when she died as it would be for any young mother to die but it didn't suddenly make her a nice person. It really annoys me when that happens. Next thing Col Gadaffi will be a saint:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it hadn't been acceptable to them then they wouldn't have accepted it and kept him in.

It showed them calling him into the diary room and giving him a warning, as you would expect given the rules. Although some FMs seem annoyed that they didn't hear the word 'formal' and others think the punishment should have been instant eviction, that hardly means Channel 5 are setting a precedent that such behaviour is acceptable.
  • Options
    NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    people who complain to OFCOM are sad........that is all

I complained. I am glad they are investigating the matter.

Thanks OP for posting.
  • Options
    GracelandGraceland Posts: 8,158
    Forum Member
    happybbfan wrote: »
    this incident wasn't shown on live feed
    producers chose to show it in the highlights
    but failed to show appropriate punishment
    such as removal of him

Exactly, if BB had removed him straight away they would not be in this trouble now, he already has had a FEW warnings.
    a FEW.
  • Options
    NaughtyNanNaughtyNan Posts: 9,445
    Forum Member
    Its a REALITY show, if you cant handle reality then dont watch it, there is far worse viewing on the television in the name of entertainment.

In reality a person shouldn't threaten another with sexually expilicit language either. At least not in my reality.

I am not a person to have a habit of complaining just for the sake of it but that night I felt very uncomfortable. I wanted to see him ejected for that yes.
  • Options
    DeccaQuinneDeccaQuinne Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Victor - I don't think anyone remembers when the word retard was actually applied to people with learning difficulties - a lot of people (esp. guys) apply it to anyone behaving stupidly (esp. their mates).
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It showed them calling him into the diary room and giving him a warning, as you would expect given the rules. Although some FMs seem annoyed that they didn't hear the word 'formal' and others think the punishment should have been instant eviction, that hardly means Channel 5 are setting a precedent that such behaviour is acceptable.

Of course they are setting a precedent. The next time it happens, unless OFCOM rule differently, then people will argue that Connor got away with making a rap about raping a housemate will an epilator and a hairbrush so why should their favourate be removed for something equally as disgusting.

Carolyne was warned for saying something that might be perceived as offensive to the viewers Connor got away with saying something that definately was offensive to many of us and could be intimidating and with bragging about getting away with it too (so they knew he wasn't taking the warning seriously).
  • Options
    BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. Don't get me wrong. It was very sad when she died as it would be for any young mother to die but it didn't suddenly make her a nice person. It really annoys me when that happens. Next thing Col Gadaffi will be a saint:rolleyes:

Gadaffi in the same post as Jade Goody.

This forum really is amazing at times.
  • Options
    clarence12clarence12 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    I think if his severe warning had actually been broadcast people would have been far less bothered about it. It's the fact that from the viewers perspective all we saw was him getting a mild talking to. It was barely a slap on the wrist. At least we did see Caroline receive a formal warning.

Exactly, well said!
  • Options
    B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    Well I;ve never heard of that. Until quite recently gay meant happy and jolly. Remember West Side Story " I feel pretty and witty and gay". In fact one of my neighbours in the 70s was called Gaye. I can't imagine her parents would have called her that if it had the kind of sexual connotations you are referring to. I don't think the other poster's explanation sounds like an urban myth at all. In fact it sounds quite feasible.

I'm not saying that it didn't have the 'happy and jolly' meaning (presumably that is why it was used to describe the less constrained sexual activities, outside marriage) and I'm not saying that it was commonly used in a sexual sense in more recent times.

The homosexual community embraced it in the last century, but it has been around far, far longer.

Longer than San Francisco, probably. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bananafish wrote: »
    Gadaffi in the same post as Jade Goody.

This forum really is amazing at times.

Oh don't be ridiculous. I wasn't comparing Jade to Gadaffi. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying that it didn't have the 'happy and jolly' meaning (presumably that is why it was used to describe the less constrained sexual activities, outside marriage) and I'm not saying that it was commonly used in a sexual sense in more recent times.

The homosexual community embraced it in the last century, but it has been around far, far longer.

I heard the same story back in the sixties/seventies with regard to the Good As You thing starting in San Francisco.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well I can't say you're wrong because I don't know for sure but I certainly have never heard the word gay meaning anything but bright and /or happy before the 80s.:)