The Beatles vs One Direction

Comments

• deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    objectively though, they were in the right place at the right time and got the break... being at the begining of pop/rock as we know it they had a blank canvas to write on....

so part of their undoubted success had alittle luck thrown in.. i mean, whos to say that given the chance at that time others wouldnt have been as good?... but thats irrelevant i guess, the facts are that it was the beatles who pioneered pop/rock as we know it, evolved from a teenybop act in a few short years to become the greatest, most inovative and influencial acts ever.

True, I get that, but just thank god that Brian went to the Cavern and that George Martin saw something in them or we would never of had their amazing songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    What are all these comparisons between the two?

The Beatles are nothing like One Direction... Their music is completely different to 1D. Yeah, okay they use real instruments and wrote their own songs, but other than Let it Be, how many of their songs are that lyrically good? Most are very dated in this day and age, and I find some of them cheesy

Who cares if they have more talent anyway? Surely what matters most is which of the two you enjoy listening to the most?

I personally find the Beatles and their tracks appauling, and listening to them makes me feel sad and miserable. However, I find listening to One Direction upbeat, modern and makes me feel good :p

I'm not slating the Beatles here, I am just saying they are old and no longer current... Move with the times

The Beatles were the best music group ever with the most talented songwriters, the wrote their music, sang it and played it.

One Direction can't sing, don't play instruments and don't write, they are fake as hell. Their music is not played on normal radio or public places because it's so embarrassing.

You must be deaf and have no interest in music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    robo2 wrote: »
    one direction are the cheesiest, shitest group around

One Direction has nothing to do with music, the members are not even interested in music, just in show business and want to be famous.

How can kids of our days be so silly to think of One Direction as a music group.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction has nothing to do with music, the members are not even interested in music, just in show business and want to be famous.

How can kids of our days be so silly to think of One Direction as a music group.

.... to be fair though, this manufactured format was popularised over twenty years ago by watertwits mob... most people under 30 grew up with manufactured acts being pushed onto the young willing public.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that's the impression iv'e always had about them

The kids will grow up though and anyone interested in music and even slightly curious about it will one day or another arrive at The Beatles. Anyone not interested in music will probably stick with 1Direction:D
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who Would Win In A Fight I Think Beatles
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stally wrote: »
    But, Take That were only huge in the UK and never overseas apart from having one top ten hit in the US. I agree, Gary Barlow is a great song writer. Actually, Louis Tomlinson did more co-writes than the other boys on their second album which is start I guess. I'm not suggesting that Louis will be a great song writer like Gary, just that the 1D boys have said that they want to be more and more involved in the writing process on each album.

take that have been much more succesful in europe than 1 direction have been and having a quick look at the sales figures on wikipedia seem to sell roughly the same amount or more albums per every new album than 1 direction sell
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    Who Would Win In A Fight I Think Beatles

Bet Ringo has a decent punch but Macca would be the weak link. The other two won't be much help due to being dead.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Please don't compare legends like One Direction to manufactured autotuned one-hit wonders like the Beatles.

Did Paul McCartney ever date Taylor Swift? NO

Did John Lennon ever appear on X Factor? NO

So clearly One Direction ARE THE BEST!!!!!1111
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Bet Ringo has a decent punch but Macca would be the weak link. The other two won't be much help due to being dead.

It's well known that Lennon could be a vicious b4stard in his younger days.
  • collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this mad thread.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't compare legends like One Direction to manufactured autotuned one-hit wonders like the Beatles.

Did Paul McCartney ever date Taylor Swift? NO

Did John Lennon ever appear on X Factor? NO

So clearly One Direction ARE THE BEST!!!!!1111

I hope you are being sarcastic because that's a GREAT joke:D
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    I like how DS and the tabloids make a big deal over the One Dire Action boys and their girlfriends with stories like "Did (insert ODA member name here) cheat on (some bimbo)"

As if most of the population of the country 1- knows their individual names, and 2- gives a bollocks.

It's the embodiment of a Syco manufactured media campaign.
  • saxman25osaxman25o Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beatles have proved to be timeless :cool: after all these years I wonder how many radio stations around the world are playing Beatles music ?

50 years and still going strong;)

I doubt ( although I have a load of respect for 1D ) that one direction will ever have enough impact to contribute to something as huge as the collapse of Communism ? in The Soviet union

Or have the effect Lennon had on peace trying to end the Vietnam war ?

I also doubt they will ever give away songs they have written that will become hits by other artists
    well :rolleyes:

recon even the workload the Beatles took on will be hard to match with the Touring Schedule they had

as for not current ? why are they still played on Radio Worldwide still selling records ( the # 1 album didn`t do bad ;)
    bit of an established track record I guess that will take a bit of beating
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really am in despair when I read threads like this, sometimes this forum is just too much. :D

Oh well I guess this thread will make an amusing time capsule if its still here in 7 years when someone can bump the page and we can see if One Direction has influenced millions, is still as popular as ever and has critical and commercial acclaim from the public. I hear there next albums going to be better than Revolver! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a serious note the Beatles compilation album "1" which contains the 27 number-one singles they had in 7 years(!) in the United Kingdom and United States was the best selling album from 2000-2009! With no new material since 1970! (Not counting the Beatles Anthology)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    I can only compare 1Direction to 5ive. Coldplay are probably the only current band i'd compare to The Beatles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kabradoon wrote: »
    I can only compare 1Direction to 5ive. Coldplay are probably the only current band i'd compare to The Beatles.

The best thing I can say about Coldplay is that they're just ok, and by that I mean there unoffensive but completely middle of the road IMO.

It's music for people who hate music really.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kabradoon wrote: »

Also and not forgetting Mumford & Sons who are probably selling as much or more than 1D with critical acclaim as well as commercial success so they again are more comparative to The Beatles than 1D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member

The Beatles are nothing like One Direction... Their music is completely different to 1D. Yeah, okay they use real instruments and wrote their own songs, but other than Let it Be, how many of their songs are that lyrically good? Most are very dated in this day and age, and I find some of them cheesy

Who cares if they have more talent anyway? Surely what matters most is which of the two you enjoy listening to the most?

I personally find the Beatles and their tracks appauling, and listening to them makes me feel sad and miserable. However, I find listening to One Direction upbeat, modern and makes me feel good :p

I'm not slating the Beatles here, I am just saying they are old and no longer current... Move with the times

1D suck period and all of their songs are too damn cheesy and horrible vocals which feel bad for the ears. They have no meaning at all. Personally those sad songs are more mature sounding even the backstreet boys and savage garden had their fair share of sad songs and happy songs were far more memorable than any of the crap being churned out 1D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jesus !!

Yeah and in a couple of months you'll have probably moved on to the next set of manufactured pretty boys off the rank who give you a tingle in your loins.

When you grow up and stop confusing a teenage crush with musical appreciation you'll realise how much of a different planet The Beatles inhabit to One Direction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO The Beach Boys were the only band that could reach the great heights of the Beatles from 1964-1972 although they were more inconsistent, Brian Wilson is America's greatest pop genius of the 60's (and beyond.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    riff wrote: »
    Jesus !!

Yeah and in a couple of months you'll have probably moved on to the next set of manufactured pretty boys off the rank who give you a tingle in your loins.

When you grow up and stop confusing a teenage crush with musical appreciation you'll realise how much of a different planet The Beatles inhabit to One Direction.

This is the problem with the generation who are into the 1D tripe and totally agree with you.
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only band who have been comparable to The Beatles in any way were Oasis. They reflected and influenced popular culture at the time and were truly huge in every respect......

.....alas they were only massive in Britain, had about two years of having massive exposure and died underneath a cloud of cocaine. Unlike Coldplay and the like they had the tabloid media interested and summed up the times were living in.

From 95-97, Oasis were massive in every way (In Britain) and the only thing that's come close to matching the phenomenon that was The Beatles

I'd like to state before anyone thinks i'm a spoon that it's mental to class Oasis as anywhere near as important or as good as The Beatles but for those two years they were the closest we've got to them in terms of being a genuine sensation. They eclipsed every band at the time in both sales and critical appreation. Their third album sold over a million in it's first week and ALL the critics lauded it at the time. Whether people like them or not, they were the only band of recent times who had the the critical acclaim and the attentiveness of the everyday press
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Also and not forgetting Mumford & Sons who are probably selling as much or more than 1D with critical acclaim as well as commercial success so they again are more comparative to The Beatles than 1D.

Babel wasn't well received at all by the critics, it's sits on metacritic with a score of 63 - one of the lowest albums of last year. 1D's album have a score of 69......

For those not in the know, metacritic collects all of the scores an album receives from various sources (papers, magazines, Internet sites) and works out and average rating of all these reviews.....so really Mumfords are not critically acclaimed at all.

Not that I'm defending 1D here, just Mumford have produced equally terrible music and rightfully get panned for it, shame people lap this dross up!