Options

Michael Phelps gets his just rewards

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I knew this would happen.....and I wish people would stop making excuses for his stupid behavior and realize.....he wanted to go to the Olympics...win the Olympics and he knew he'd become world famous.

He accepted the endorsements...hopefully this was a wake-up call...

http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/05/phelps-gets-bonged-by-usa-swimming/

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090206/D965NVT80.html

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    So he smoked some pot, big deal, it's his choice.

Domino's should get him to advertise a "munchies" special meal deal, they'd make a packet. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well maybe you are smoking something.....it's against the law and others who would be caught doing it in that area would go to jail.....so he's lucky he didn't go to jail...

By looking at that bong....this isn't new to him. He was arrested in 2004 for drunk driving....and is ok too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course, the USA had to do something about this. It looks incredibly bad. Illegal drugs are fine, until you get caught with them, wouldn't you say?:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mojorisin' wrote: »
    Well maybe you are smoking something.....it's against the law and others who would be caught doing it in that area would go to jail.....so he's lucky he didn't go to jail...

By looking at that bong....this isn't new to him. He was arrested in 2004 for drunk driving....and is ok too?

Well maybe you should be smoking something, it might chill you out a bit. :D
    All the stuff going on in the world and people want to jump on some guy who likes to have a toke.
    Rumour is he's going to star in a new film "Dude where's my Speedos?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since I'm a drug counselor in my full-time profession...I don't see the humor in this. Anyway....someone like Phelps.....who has worked tirelessly for years to get where he is....damn well knows smoking anything as a professional swimmer/athlete is wrong. He needs to grow-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Since I'm a drug counselor in my full-time profession...I don't see the humor in this. Anyway....someone like Phelps.....who has worked tirelessly for years to get where he is....damn well knows smoking anything as a professional swimmer/athlete is wrong. He needs to grow-up.

Oh really I'm surprised at that, you don't seem to have the kind of attitude for it...though I get the impression you wouldn't see the humour in anything.

I'd say that given he has worked tirelessly, no doubt made the kind of committment and sacrifice that an average person couldn't comprehend to get to the level he has achieved, he would know exactly whether or not it would affect his performance wouldn't you? Whether it's wrong to you isn't worth anything, clearly it isn't wrong for him.

You know I would have expected a full time drug counsellor, no doubt used to meeting people who take drugs to perhaps have a certain sympathetic outlook, to try to understand why someone had decided to take drugs, that there are often many factors involved, to be understanding and supportive while trying to help etc.,
    They must meet so many people with different problems, from different backgrounds, many reasons for doing what they do etc. that they understand how complex issues sometimes are and wouldn't be judgemental towards people or condemn them. They must have so much patience and empathy to do that job.

I'm surprised a full time drug counsellor would be posting that Michael Phelps has got his "just rewards" for his "stupid behaviour" as you put it, that he's lucky he isn't in jail and he should grow up. Thats some counselling!

If you're a full time drug counsellor I'm an Olympic swimmer...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^What bilbob said:)
  • Options
    Mr BungleMr Bungle Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bloke had a bit of a smoke outside of competition.

It was purely recreational and can hardly be described as performance enhancing.

He's still in his early 20s (at a time when all of his mates will be partying) and has been given a slap on the wrists and probably won't do it again.

Story over, move on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I myself do not see the problem - it's not like he allows it to affect his performances!

He wasn't training at the time anyway.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's illegal to smoke pot in US (I think), so if they can prove that it can fvck up his career nicely.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he already admitted it
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd say drunk driving is the worse of the two, so was this censure imposed then?

G
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    booklover wrote: »
    ^^^What bilbob said:)

Thirded.

G
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote: »
    Thirded.

G

Fourthed.....
  • Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Bungle wrote: »
    He's still in his early 20s (at a time when all of his mates will be partying) and has been given a slap on the wrists and probably won't do it again.

Unless he finds the anger management course lacking. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Bungle wrote: »
    The bloke had a bit of a smoke outside of competition.

It was purely recreational and can hardly be described as performance enhancing.

Story over, move on.

Not all 20 somethings 'party' with illegal drugs so thats no excuse and weed is illegal were as alcohol isn't.

Its his own fault, if he thinks he is mature enough to take drugs he should be mature enough to face the consequence wether or not he is multiple olympic gold medal winner.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you have to remember is that Phelps isn't an ordinary bloke - he's a world famous Olympic athlete, widely regarded as the greatest athlete in Olympic history. His status brings with it a life in the public eye earning money from product endorsements and being a role model for young people. It doesn't take a genius to work out that taking any kind of illegal substance is going to upset the people whose products/services he's endorsing (because they will worry about the effect on the sales of their products/services and how they will be perceived by the public).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should anybody, not matter how they earn their living, be forced into this idea of being a "role model"? He is a human being, the same as the rest of us. If a single person looks at him and thinks that smoking pot is a way to become a champion Olympian, then clearly they aren't destined to achieve much in life beyond learning to tie their shoe laces.

He smoked a bit of pot. What business is it of anybody elses?
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His sponsors? They have invested in his image
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    He is an adult and everyone I know has done some sort of drug some worse than others.

I find it strange that he is being punished when drugs are everywhere and you only have to go to the local park to smell weed being smoked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

It seems some of you move in pretty narrow social circles.

There's a difference between fame and infamy - sports success and ambitious desire is normally the path that leads to being a role-model, otherwise don't have agents and publicists!

Taking weed in most countries is illegal.

Most parents want children to have virtuous role-models.

Most companies employ sports-people for the positive attitude towards a product by indorsement and association.

Most importantly, for him, just because there's no competition, doesn't mean he wouldn't be facing random drug-testing, where taking drugs is also banned, and ergo bye-bye 1-hit wonder career, in-spite of the potential and investment: personally, by family, fans, media and paying companies.

Kind regards,

MN
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People that smoke pot or do drugs, and party, of course see nothing wrong with this. The problem is, Michael Phelps broke a law in America where he engaged in this behavior. Whether you think pot is fine to smoke has no bearing on this whatsoever. He did something completely illegal in public I might add.

In 2004, Michael Phelps was also convicted of drug driving in America. So he was convicted of this crime, it's not a rumor.

No one is arguing he is a great athlete, by far one of the best in the world. But when you make a decision to do this, to go to the Olympics and compete, you are very much aware if you win those medals, you become a celebrity of sorts and then you accept endorsement deals.

I agree with the previous poster, in the sense athletes should not be considered role models. So you accomplished something in athletics through hard work and dedication and what about the Scientist that one day discovers a cure for Cancer with hard work and dedication, is he any less impressive? To me, he is much more impressive.

I don't see the reason that Phelps is endorsing switch watches. They have nothing to do with what he is famous for, his swimming. If he was endorsing something related to athletic performance or swimming, at least in my opinion, that would make sense. The problem is, many worship celebrities and want to be just like them, so of course, they want to wear the watch Phelps wears and to me, that's a really sad commentary on our society.

I am sorry to say, the excuse "everybody does it" is really lame and completely juvenile. Maybe young party types who don't have their heads on straight do it, but let's not assume everybody else does it. To me, the drunk driving offense was much more serious. Drunk driving is the most selfish thing, where it's about you, not the other innocent people on the road. But regardless, whether he is Michael Phelps, Bob the plumber, or Joe the garbage man, he broke a law in America he could've gone to jail for. Let's not pretend he didn't do anything wrong. Of course, there had to be consequences and if anything, I would hope he gets his head on straight. All that fame and money, seems to bring the wrong people around you quite often.

I also think it's wrong to accuse others on here of not being truthful with their profession. Counseling for substance abuse doesn't mean you think when someone is caught and operates outside of the law, they should not get what is coming to them and someone so publicly doing this, without a doubt, is being watched by many impressionable, young minds. I find when people do party and smoke pot, they don't even look at it as operating outside of the law, which means you are not exactly tuned into reality if you get my drift.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torrid Affair
    am sorry to say, the excuse "everybody does it" is really lame and completely juvenile. Maybe young party types who don't have their heads on straight do it, but let's not assume everybody else does it.

:rolleyes:
    Maybe YOU shouldn't assume that every weed smoker is a young party type who don't have their heads straight.
    I know plenty of over 30's and 40's who love their weed. They also work, have families, pay their bills and taxes and don't go out partying every weekend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    Fringo wrote: »
    Fourthed.....

Fifthed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Word is that, in addition to Kelloggs, Subway is going to drop Michael as well. I hope the bong hit was worth all those millions of sponsorship dollars.

As for his three month ban from competition, it's really just a slap on the wrist. He won't be able to compete in a few minor swim meets, but he will still be able to participate in the World Championships this summer.

I understand that he is young and wants to enjoy his life in his free time when he is not training, but he needs to exercise better judgment. The bong hit, the DUI, the strippers ... not great behavior for a young man who makes his living off his image earning him sponsorship money.