Options

Pets in the 60's, 70's and 80's

Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
Forum Member
I gather pets were less pampered in these days. Do you have any memories of keeping pets, or growing up with pets from the "Stone age" :eek: :p

Comments

• Options
    Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gather pets were less pampered in these days. Do you have any memories of keeping pets, or growing up with pets from the "Stone age" :eek: :p
    I don't know about less pampered, my childhood cats were spoilt rotten, one got special food bought for him as he would only eat raw turkey. And they always got lots of love and affection, a cat flap to come and go and they had our family wrapped round their paws.

What I do think was different was veterinary care. We had no pet insurance, minimal visits to the vets (my parents would just wait and see if they got better on their own) and once the cats got elderly and ill the vet said they had to be put to sleep as there was nothing that could be done for them.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I grew up in the 70s/80s and we had a cat. It was petted by my mum and brother, less by my dad, and my twin and I always chased it as we just wanted to hug and kiss it! What I do remember was that it never had injections and if it went to the vet it was for something serious. Far less money meant no pet insurance so pets were usually PTS rather than having ops or expensive treatment.

Going back to the days when my mum grew up (40s/50s), her mum, my nan, used to drown kittens if the cats reproduced as spaying cats wasn't a financial consideration and it was deemed the kindest thing to do if you couldn't afford to feed them.:cry: Rabbits and chickens were kept for food and not as pets.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    We had a cat in the 70s when I was a child. She was quite spoiled, she came and went as she pleased through an upstairs window (no catflap in our house) and was fed tins of kitekat which she seemed to like well enough - not sure if she was ever a picky eater. She was neutered but not vaccinated. She slept on our beds and ruled the roost. We also had a lovely budgie Joey. When we moved to Ireland, the cat came with us (by plane) and a neighbour kept Joey.

Unfortunately the cat only lived for a few months in Ireland - she got killed by a train one night. My family was devastated, we loved that cat. :cry: We then had several dogs and cats over the years but the Irish farm cats were semi feral and I never again built up such a close bond with a cat though we brought a couple into the house. I loved our dogs but several came to an untimely end because local farmers would put poison down on their land and set traps for foxes. Thankfully, these practices are now banned in Ireland.

My childhood dogs were just fed human leftover food. It was only in later years that my parents bought proper dog food and those dogs lived longer lives, 14 - 16. They rarely came into the house when I was young, they slept in outbuildings but, again, our later dogs became more 'house dogs'.

Vets in our part of rural Ireland used to very much focus on farm animals and never had much small animal work. Rural Irish folk were not very sentimental about pets. Those attitudes are now changing (maybe due to the mass media age and all the animal programmes on TV?) and the small animal business is thriving.

I've always loved animals and stopped eating meat when I was a young adult despite growing up on a farm with cattle routinely going off to be slaughtered. When I was 11 I asked where Blackie had gone - he had been a gorgeous young cute calf who we children had hand fed - and didn't like what I heard :(
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I was very young in the late 60s, I remember my parents had a cat (he died aged 14 from kidney failure and I don't remember hearing about cats living beyond 15 back then). I had a large rabbit that died aged 8.

The cat was fed a mixture of tinned cat food and given a contribution of meat or fish depending on what they cooked.

The local vet they used for many years was very good although the only high-tech he had was an x-ray machine. He must have done well during his career as he lived in a big house in a very nice area. I know this as I saw his obituary in the local paper last year, he was nearly 90 when he died but retired over 20 years ago. I don't recall the cat being vaccinated, maybe it wasn't available 40 years ago (?).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    we had chow chows growing up. My nana and grandad used to own a paper shop and used to have one roaming the shop :eek: (can you imagine th health and safety these days) my nana stood on her leg one day and she (kiki) bit her ankle :D
    she also got left in the car whilst my grandad popped back into the shop and she took the handbrake off the car and wrote his car off :D
    we also had one called jayjay, i have a vague recollection of my grandad eating his worming tablets :rolleyes: nothing was ever clearly labled. They could be complete nightmares, especially when suzy got got out and got caught pregnant :D
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we had a budgie called Peter in the 70's i used to let it out of its cage cos i always thought it was cruel but got told off for forgetting about it, it lived quite a long time as i remember but i was only about 6. In the 80s i had about 15 hamsters in total through the years.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up in the 70's at loved going on a trip to the local petshop, my favourites were the tortoises there used to be about 20 in a small crate..:( I had several as pets they used to go walkabout so we just went and got another one, I feel very sad that we probably contributed to their demise.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that the whole view of pets was very different when I was growing up!

We had cats from when I was about 5 years old, that being the late 50's throughout the 60's and to when I left home in the mid 70's. Although very much loved and looked after, there were no litter trays or cats flaps, also a very small variety of tinned cat food was available, Kitekat was the first tinned cat food I knew of and then Whiskers, other than that cats had scraps or went and killed their own....although she had to have a bit of the Sunday joint otherwise she'd sit and sulk on her chair!! :p

If your pet was ill then the PDSA was the ususal place you would go to.....it wasn't just for people on benefits, then, you still donated what you could afford though. Our first cat Judy was spayed and that was around 1959, and she lived until she was 11 which was a good age for a cat then. By the time we had our second family cat, things were very different, but still not as pampered like they are now.