Options

Blunder by BBC announcer

Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
Forum Member
✭✭
Earlier on yesterday evening on BBC1, the announcer promoted a programme aired later in the evening about Rio De Janeiro, he said that Rio is the capital of Brazil, which of course it is not - Brasilia is. I don't expect that sort of thing.

Comments

• Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I'm outraged! >:(
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    I'm outraged! >:(

I am on the phone to OFCOM as we speak
  • Options
    Jolly JesterJolly Jester Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Earlier on yesterday evening on BBC1, the announcer promoted a programme aired later in the evening about Rio De Janeiro, he said that Rio is the capital of Brazil, which of course it is not - Brasilia is. I don't expect that sort of thing.

Sounds like another BBC racism scandal, It wasn't Jeremy Clarkson was it?
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect people to get things right, especially simple things.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Disgraceful.

Scrap the licence fee. Make the BBC take on adverts to pay their way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Disgusting.

Burn the entire corporation down, nothing and nobody can be saved. Destroy them all and start again from scratch...
  • Options
    Forum Member

What was the name of the announcer?

We NEED to know.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you the Queen's Lady-in-waiting?? If you expect things in life, you are going to be severely disappointed on a daily basis. Well spotted though anyway. :)
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am apoplectic with rage.

I'm going to contact the Daily Mail so 1000's of us who didn't see it can all complain to the shambles that is the BBC. >:(
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is entitled to their opinion and to post without being ridiculed. The first "posting tip" on DS rules says please treat others with respect.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be time to lower your expectations.
    Plus, I'm pretty sure there are "simple" things we all don't know. The state capital of Florida is one that most people get wrong.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,095
    Forum Member
    Doubt anyone really cares about a very minor mistake which won't have offended anyone and which quite frankly isn't that big a deal. It's about as important as me letting you all know that I'm able to see some grass that's been cut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    Could be time to lower your expectations.
    Plus, I'm pretty sure there are "simple" things we all don't know. The state capital of Florida is one that most people get wrong.

Tallahassee?
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Tallahassee?

Hand on heart - who looked it up, then? Getting the spelling right is a bit of a "tell", unless you live there. ;-)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hand on heart - who looked it up, then? Getting the spelling right is a bit of a "tell", unless you live there. ;-)

The other one they always get wrong is which is the only English club to play in the Scottish football league ?
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,095
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    The other one they always get wrong is which is the only English club to play in the Scottish football league ?

Berwick or Brechin, can never remember which..........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I thought the capital of Brazil was Rio :blush: I've never heard of Brasilia.
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a ridiculous thread! Even Announcers are human, what is the big deal about it?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    Honestly, I thought the capital of Brazil was Rio :blush:
    Same here - seems like we're out of touch as Rio was the capita; until 1960, when the newly-built Brasilia became the capital (according to Wkipedia)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bras%C3%ADlia
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Same here - seems like we're out of touch as Rio was the capita; until 1960, when the newly-built Brasilia became the capital (according to Wkipedia)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bras%C3%ADlia

I knew it was the official capital but I was surprised it has grown to such a big city, I think for many years it was quite small.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could have been worse - in his days as an announcer Jack de Manio, later to present the original Today programme, had to introduce a piece of music called Land of the Niger. Music not being his strong point he introduced it as Land of the
    N****r
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Well i hope this individual has been carted off for a public flogging - no doubt the Daily Mail will be on the case. Lord Reith will be spinning......:p
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    It could have been worse - in his days as an announcer Jack de Manio, later to present the original Today programme, had to introduce a piece of music called Land of the Niger. Music not being his strong point he introduced it as Land of the
    N****r

Jack De Manio and also Pete Murray always seemed to struggle to tell the time.
    When did we become so bloody serious? Colemanballs was created due to one of the Beeb's greatest and his ability to say things that weren't quite right, I like the odd cock up, it shows everyone's human - and not getting the capitalof Brazil right is hardly the biggest crime
  • Options
    Forum Member

I didn't look it up as it's about the only one I know! That and California, Alaska and Hawaii.

Now, ask me the capital of New Jersey, Indiana, Idaho, South Carolina, Maine or a few more states and I'd definitely need to look them up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Jack De Manio and also Pete Murray always seemed to struggle to tell the time.
    When did we become so bloody serious? Colemanballs was created due to one of the Beeb's greatest and his ability to say things that weren't quite right, I like the odd cock up, it shows everyone's human - and not getting the capitalof Brazil right is hardly the biggest crime

Most of the Colemanballs quotes were not said by him at all but simply made up by other people.I agree entirely that there's no harm in the odd mistake but surely someone introducing a documentary about Brazil should have taken the trouble to get the capital right if they were going to mention it in the v/o. Incidentally, why did the BBC1 presentation announcer say the BAFTAs were ''live from the Theatre Royal'' when in fact it was taped ?