Options

The missing DS members conundrum

Comments

• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    No of course they haven't. But you stated this:

By saying "nothing else" you are suggesting that's the ONLY reason people have stopped using DS. I am merely pointing out that I have spoken to some posters who have pretty much stopped posting, and the forum redesign is nothing to do with why they rarely post now.

Big deal.

Crap forum design above anything else, then.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    There'd be a lot less links to songs and wikipedia without you jra, that's for sure. :D

Just for you.

Name One & Maxxi Soundsystem 'One In Three'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FurrtMv0kjU

In the latest 'what are listening to right now' thread in the music forum I have made nearly 1300 posts. :o

Or you can see Marco Niemerski mix it in here at a Mixmag set at about 38 mins.

TENSNAKE deep disco house set @ Mixmag Live 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyq0w_qjTbM
    Name One & Maxxi Soundsystem 'One In Three' (Dub Mix)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHCkRtVaBWI :p
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of patronising twits.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big deal.

Crap forum design above anything else, then.

It was a big deal at the time, and I'm sure the re-design did lose a lot of posters. But it doesn't cross my mind any more, it just is what it is and doesn't affect the content which is the most important thing..in my opinion.
  • Options
    SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I can sort of understand threads about that story being closed. It did become the same old arguments, over and over again, and always ended in some mud slinging.
    But I'm more surprised at threads about the historical child abuse scandal being shut down, presumably there are numerous injunctions flying around and the media are running scared.
    The funny thing I found was that you could quote something directly from the press that day and still fall foul of the moderators. I'm not complaining, it's their forum, but it seems strange. Perhaps DS has to be more cautious or don't consider their forum the place for contentious subjects ?

The answer lies in first class moderation,imo,there would only be a few topics to read carefully and delete if needed,maybe pre-moderation on those subjects would work.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allaboard wrote: »
    Loads of patronising twits.
    Thankyou. Your opinion is important to us.
    blueblade wrote: »
    Page one stand ups ?
    Who's there?
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I can sort of understand threads about that story being closed. It did become the same old arguments, over and over again, and always ended in some mud slinging.
    But I'm more surprised at threads about the historical child abuse scandal being shut down, presumably there are numerous injunctions flying around and the media are running scared.
    The funny thing I found was that you could quote something directly from the press that day and still fall foul of the moderators. I'm not complaining, it's their forum, but it seems strange. Perhaps DS has to be more cautious or don't consider their forum the place for contentious subjects ?

Problem with that thread was that some went out of their way to get it shut down because they did not want any other possibilities being entertained. Mods should have dealt with those posters and left the thread open. Instead the troublemakers effectively "won".

Hot topics as such, as you say are a pain these days. I often don't post in such threads as I know they will be closed so what's the point? We have to abide by the rules but the same stuff is in the news and in the papers. If its hot news people want to talk about it. I do accept DS may get many legal threats and so on.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    In the latest 'what are listening to right now' thread in the music forum I have made nearly 1300 posts. :o

I can quite believe that - I post in that thread from time to time and have noticed you're one of the more frequent contributors! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally its cos the boards is so slow or times out on me so I get bored or frustrated and wander off.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer to lurk these days. I very rarely post because I don't see the point. You get the little cliques on here who only ever really respond to each other, take the thread off-topic or like to take the p*ss out of other forum members. Not my bag.

I am however interested in other peoples opinions which is why I'll always read the threads, if not contribute to them.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Personally its cos the boards is so slow or times out on me so I get bored or frustrated and wander off.

I do wonder at times how fast digital spy's servers are.
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou. Your opinion is important to us.

😀😀😀....
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's just this forum. I have noticed the same thing n several other forums I visit as well.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,851
    Administrator
    fefster wrote: »
    It's been pretty quiet on here lately. It seemed like less threads and less posts every time i come on here.

I went on Wayback machine and did a bit of a calculation. It's pretty accurate although I couldn't get the exact number of posts for all the months. I would say it's 95% accurate though.

So in 2012, there were an average of 513,318 posts per month

In 2013, there were an average of 561,478 posts per month (missing a big chunk of Jan here so this is a low estimate)

In 2014, up until end July, there have been 429,007 posts per month

Now you could say that there would be more posts in winter, however that is going to be a tough average to catch up.

Finally, I could only go up to July because they have removed the total posts box from the top of the forum!

Where has everyone gone?

These numbers aren't correct, but well done on the research! Must have taken a lot of time? Each month this year so far has passed the 'average' for 2014, several passing the average for the previous years too.

That's not to say people haven't stopped posting: they have. We browse these forums too and miss seeing some of the familiar names that used to always show up. Each persons circumstance and reason for no long posting is different, so putting it down to one thing alone is wrong.

Social media is just one example: as someone in this thread mentioned, isolated Facebook groups are becoming more popular and Twitter continues to expand - people are more attracted to sharing their toilet habits in 140 characters than a well phrased post on the same topic...

The 'On Digital Spy' box was removed with the latest maintenance a few weeks back as we're moving datacentres. There is likely to be some downtime coming in the near future (watch out for any announcements as we get confirmation) while this work continues.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    You are correct. A lot who complained about it being too white and hurting their eyes are long gone.

I'm still here but still hate the format! DS is more than just a 'format' though. I like being on here and that's why I've stuck it out. I'll say it one more time, though. I STILL hate the format! :(
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    These numbers aren't correct, but well done on the research! Must have taken a lot of time? Each month this year so far has passed the 'average' for 2014, several passing the average for the previous years too.

It didn't take much time at all. All I did was look at the number of posts as early to the beginning of January and subtract that from the number of posts as close to the end of December (or July for 2014 because that is as far as it went). Just one simple calculation per year.
    They are your figures from the 'number of posts' box, so not sure why they are wrong.

Of course you are right that there are a number of reasons for people to stop posting, I do appreciate that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each month this year so far has passed the 'average' for 2014, several passing the average for the previous years too

That doesn't even make sense :p
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Most topics have been done to death. Hence the constant resurrection of old threads. Most of the older poster are just bored with the same old same old.

I think that sort of thing happens on most forums, people just get bored with them in the end.
    Or their life style changes and they do more constructive things than reading and posting on forums.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think around Christmas time it'll get a lot busier, well the months leading up, i have noticed it always is quiet during the summer months, oh yeah
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    I prefer to lurk these days. I very rarely post because I don't see the point. You get the little cliques on here who only ever really respond to each other, take the thread off-topic or like to take the p*ss out of other forum members. Not my bag.

I am however interested in other peoples opinions which is why I'll always read the threads, if not contribute to them.

BIB - I've noticed that. Contributing to some threads feels like walking into a remote village pub. All the locals stare and point at you, while they ignore what you say and continue with their frivolous banter between themselves.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it's difficult, the forums have certainly appeared quieter to me. But I'm more interested in subjects that are "in the news" and my chief sporting interest, which is football.
    With X-Factor and Strictly starting again, I'm sure there will be thousand more posts every day in the run-up to Christmas, but I rarely visit those forums.
  • Options
    OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Deleted .. Wrong thread
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I'm still here but still hate the format! DS is more than just a 'format' though. I like being on here and that's why I've stuck it out. I'll say it one more time, though. I STILL hate the format! :(

I'm still here, I hate the format, but I've noticed that a high number of new topics opened on GD are not that interesting to me. Seemingly they are posted to almost incite some argument along the way. But I'm still here!
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed many times that a decent thread topic is often ruined by it going completely off thread by just silly back and forth private chatter and "in" jokes among two or three posters, their posts having little to do with the original subject post.

If someone does complain with the thread going off topic they get descended upon by the clique accusing them of being self appointed moderators or forum police
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - I've noticed that. Contributing to some threads feels like walking into a remote village pub. All the locals stare and point at you, while they ignore what you say and continue with their frivolous banter between themselves.

You have been here since 2004 Do you not see familiar names that you have posted with over the decade and have a joke or "frivolous banter" with them? If you don't mind me saying I think it a bit odd that anyone can spend 10 years posting on a forum with people and not!