Options

Top Gear 19/7/09

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole program's lost the plot and it seems to be an endless attempt to out-challenge the previous week...with boringly predictable results.

Is Hammond trying out for a place in a boy band or just stuck in a 70's time warp? 40 years old and still dressing like an 18 year old with a haircut to match. Grow up man and learn some presenting skills rather than act like a complete muppet.
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better episode tonight. Back on top form.

The model was Madison Welch.

I think I've seen her modelling on Page 3 in the Daily Star -

Stunning....just stunning.:D
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This episode proved to me that they do the speaking to camera and car shots opn differant roads.

As I live in Kings Lynn and recognized the local bypass which was full of cones and down to 1 lane in the background when Jeremy was talking. Whilst the car shots were on a clear road somewhere else.

Also Jeremy would have been stuck to 50 mph on that road at the time due to the Average Speed Cameras.
  • Options
    00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mijath wrote: »
    I believe that's what's known as a joke.

A common theme of humour is saying things that are obviously false for comic effect.

They actually have sold more records than The Beatles. I was at the recording on wednesday and Clarkson quoted 2 figures. AC/DC are about a million in front.

Funny that they didn't broadcast one of the many times that Clarkson called Gordon Brown a c***!
  • Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satchmo wrote: »
    The whole program's lost the plot and it seems to be an endless attempt to out-challenge the previous week...with boringly predictable results.

I agree, I seem to have stopped watching this as must see TV. It's now on while I'm sorting the house out after the weekend!

It is still funny but it does feel at times like I am watching the same episode over and over again.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brian Johnsons lap was a cracker, smooth and fast as fupp! He also clearly has his feet on the ground and is growing old as we all should.

I enjoyed the Ma-jorka jaunt esp the knowing blonde jokes and shortist stuff from Hammond.
  • Options
    bbobbbob Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamestay1 wrote: »
    how have AC/DC sold more records then the Beatles ?
    AC/DC have been churning records out for 36 years, the Beatles were only around for 10 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    The ACDC guy was a good guest, and I thought that Brian Wheeler was the best thing about the challenge.

Otherwise, the usual mix of old-man humour, staged spontaneity and fake surprised reactions that we all know and, erm, love!?

And is it just me or is JC doing more in each episode this series? It just seems like endless Clarkson these days.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Thought it was an ok epsiode, liked the guy from AC/DC...but thought the trip to Majorca was boring and had no real point, we weren't sure if they were seeing which car was the fastest, best on fuel, had the best endurance...it was just all a bit muddled.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbob wrote: »
    AC/DC have been churning records out for 36 years, the Beatles were only around for 10 years.

I love AC/DC and they have sold a lot of records, but The Beatles have sold more records than anybody else bar none.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in Black 40 million sales, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 32 million. See AC/DC are 8 up already! ;) The Beatles are top along with Elvis as far as can be told bearing in mind the vast amount of piracy esp in Asia since the 70s, Wiki has AC/DC as 200 million plus sales. Not shabby.
  • Options
    AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    They actually have sold more records than The Beatles. I was at the recording on wednesday and Clarkson quoted 2 figures. AC/DC are about a million in front.

:eek:

I've never heard anything as silly.

The Beatles have sold more than a billion records. AC/DC have currently sold 200 million.
    bbob wrote: »

That's irrelevant, people still bought Beatles records after they split up.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good episode, best in a while. The challenge section felt a bit too short though, would have happily lost some of the Z4 review to save some of that from the cutting room floor. I kind of guessed James's co driver was acting, turns out she's quite a big petrol head and fan of the show, so that sort of confirms it. I thought she was good it in anyway, her pieces with James gave me the first laughs in a TG in weeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Beatles have sold sold 170 million records in america,while AC/DC have sold 70 million

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTopArt
  • Options
    tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a sorry episode of Top gear last night. Absolute rubbish. they really are scaping the barrel. When the women in the background crowd seem more interesting that the programme .......says it all.

by the way car laps with celebreties are done using hand held stop watches. So how can they be sure that Jay Kay is still top and not Brian Johnston. Unless JK is paying them to keep him on top.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was rather good.

shame the rally bit was not done for the whole programme really cause that was the best bit. I think buying old cars for a rally run is one they can do again and again with different types of cars and it will be enjoyable.

Hamster and the little guy - whoever thought of that partnership must have giggled their arse off......

def one eppy I would watch again.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this challenge was rather subdued. Buy some old cars, go to a race. No caravans destroyed, nothing caught fire, no pianos dropped. There was a certain amount of cocking around, as per usual. I'm not sure what else you were expecting.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    This episode proved to me that they do the speaking to camera and car shots opn differant roads.
    I noticed Hammond's car didn't have seatbelts when he bought it, and the car itself didn't have an MOT and had a lot wrong with it. I suspected he wasn't actually driving it at all in the early scenes, and he was riding a flatbed.

Later they install some seatbelts, which frankly looked a bit ropey to me.
  • Options
    tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I noticed Hammond's car didn't have seatbelts when he bought it, and the car itself didn't have an MOT and had a lot wrong with it. I suspected he wasn't actually driving it at all in the early scenes, and he was riding a flatbed.

Later they install some seatbelts, which frankly looked a bit ropey to me.

shock horror......Top gear are cheating the public....

almost all their episodes and dares/features...are a result of clever editing and wholsesale cheating......the public dont mind as they are taken in by the razzmatazz and cheap thrills.
  • Options
    calatheacalathea Posts: 780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top Gear has always described itself as Cocking about in Cars, if you watch it for serious car reviews then you are looking for the wrong program. They "fix" the races so that they are going to be close but they don't fix the outcome. All the arty tracking shots are done by the 2nd unit crew when they take the cars back. They make no secret of this and to my knowledge have never claimed otherwise.

Besides if you want to know how the new Focus, Golf, Astra etc drives book a test drive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member

You clearly didn't see this week's classic car rally. One simple challenge, no wanton destruction, few gimmicks other than the co-drivers, and Clarkson didn't win ;)
  • Options
    TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomharry2 wrote: »
    What a sorry episode of Top gear last night. Absolute rubbish. they really are scaping the barrel. When the women in the background crowd seem more interesting that the programme .......says it all.

by the way car laps with celebreties are done using hand held stop watches. So how can they be sure that Jay Kay is still top and not Brian Johnston. Unless JK is paying them to keep him on top.

As long as the same system is used then that's fair. Sure, there's a degree of discrepancy but that'll be the same for everyone.

Plus have they ever said there's not a transponder in the car?
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome episode!

Great to see Brian Johnson showing great rock n' roll spirit, pity he didn't come top of the leaderboard though, the guys a far bigger legend than Jay Kay. But at least he was on a par with that villanous musical cretin Simon Cowell!:D

As for the "sold more records than The Beatles", Clarkson has his figures slightly mixed up there.

The Beatles and Elvis are both estimated to have sold nearly a billion records, far more than anyone else - although AC/DCs 200 million is still more than today's "hyped up" bands like the Arctic Monkeys or Girls Aloud could ever hope to achieve, even in 36 years.

HOWEVER, AC/DCs 'Back In Black' album is OFFICIALLY the biggest selling album of all-time by any band, and the second biggest selling album by any artist. The only album to sell more than it is Michael Jackson's Thriller, which will never be toppled from that top spot.

Great to see AC/DC getting some recognition on mainstream television though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much stronger episode last night...the last three have seemed a little weak and have had me worrying a bit about the future of the "World's Biggest Car Show".

What struck me last night though, while I was giggling like a loon through the boys at the classic car auction, is that TG is at it's best when all three boys are together. The challenges when they are all together, such as the amphibious car challenges, the convertible people carrier, the police car challenge are always the most memorable.

The road trips where they're all together such as caravanning in Dorset, Botswana, and Vietnam, are fantastic for exactly the same reason.

It's when you split them up, such as they did in the rally last night, when they had them interacting with others, that it doesn't really work.

I think it's really a case of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts. They're all great on their own, obviously, but it's only when they're together that the real magic happens.

:)

I'll give it a 6.5 out of 10, loved the AC/DC guy, if he hadnt had that off near the end he would have blitzed Jay Kay.

Oh, and another thing I realised last night...I now like James more than Richard.

:eek:

Sorry Hammond!!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    nwdanwda Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a very well put together show.