Options

Are most people REALLY bothered about HD?

Comments

• Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My own take on this is that HD done well can be amazing.
    The trouble is a lot of it isn't done so well and is hardly the great leap promised.

I'm just about at the point where I ring up Sky and cancel the lot except for the HD+ functions.
    £10 per month instead of £61.
    The one thing holding me back is I got the new 1.5tb Amstrad box from them and am contracted until May '11.

But now that BBC1, ITV1 (even if I do have to mess about to get it in the UTV area), ITV2, 3, 4 and Channel 4 and BBC HD are all out there free there's not a lot Sky offer to have me feeling their prices are worth it.
    I buy Blu-rays if I'm bothered about a film.

I've been with sky (including via cable in London) for about 20yrs and have watched their costs rocket year on year.
    £61mth (£732 a year) is frankly ridiculous just for TV - and shows the BBC TV licence for the excellent value it is.
    I've had enough, it's just not worth that much to me.

The HD versions of ITV2, 3 and 4 are NOT free they are subscription only.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Oooops, my mistake.

(But still, that's hardly a deal-breaker, eh?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do not watch any US content myself much prefer UK programming which on the whole yet is not HD.:)

Well lots of UK stuff is in HD now.
  • Options
    TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for me personally, HD has become the norm so I am not so much impressed at a HD picture, more unimpressed at an SD picture. Maybe I'm a glass half empty person??
    The number of people commenting that they can't see any difference between HD and SD demonstrates that perception varies greatly from person to person.

I put the TV on last night just before midnight to catch Big Ben. I didn't bother with the Sky box, just watched on Freeview and left it on when the fireworks started. The picture was clearly SD but ok, though the sound quality was terrible. When I switched to BBC1HD the difference was amazing - clear sound (just the TV speakers) and much better picture definition, not so much a 'wow' factor but more of a 'that's better' I guess because HD is now the norm to me.

I went over to 101 on the Sky box just to compare and that was the same SD picture and 'woolly' sound as on Freeview. I would challenge anyone watching those images to tell me they couldn't tell the difference between SD and HD, both in terms of picture quality and sound.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    The number of people commenting that they can't see any difference between HD and SD demonstrates that perception varies greatly from person to person.

I put the TV on last night just before midnight to catch Big Ben. I didn't bother with the Sky box, just watched on Freeview and left it on when the fireworks started. The picture was clearly SD but ok, though the sound quality was terrible. When I switched to BBC1HD the difference was amazing - clear sound (just the TV speakers) and much better picture definition, not so much a 'wow' factor but more of a 'that's better' I guess because HD is now the norm to me.

I went over to 101 on the Sky box just to compare and that was the same SD picture and 'woolly' sound as on Freeview. I would challenge anyone watching those images to tell me they couldn't tell the difference between SD and HD, both in terms of picture quality and sound.

Obviously there must have been a sound fault on the SD channels, there's no appreciable 'quality' difference between the two, and certainly not through TV speakers.

Picture wise, viewed at a correct difference, the difference should be (and is) startling.

I was showing a neighbour the other night the difference between ITV and ITV HD on Freeview (seeing as he was watching ITV) - not that ITV HD is that great, but the difference is still huge.
  • Options
    david_smith_ukdavid_smith_uk Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I constantly get funny looks from friends and family when I refuse to watch a film that's being shown in SD. I want to watch programs and films in the best available format available to me at home. I've got HD, so if the film has been converted to HD that's how I'll watch it. If it hasn't been converted, then I'll wait until it has.

I can see the difference on about 90% of films on my 42inch panasonic plasma, and I am baffled by people who say it looks the same as SD.

I think the average UK punter isn't overly discerning about picture or sound quality, which is why we had fuzzy VHS for a further 2 years after the US had DVD's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am 78 and I like to keep abreast of the latest technology even though I am getting rather deaf.
    If you have a fairly modern television set whatever the screen size it has a built-in SD to HD upscaling conversion so most of the time you don't see much difference between the two.
    Have you ever tried actually trying to do a comparison between say BBC1 and its high definition version?
    It's actually impossible because by the time the TV set has hesitated and changed channels the idiots on the mixer desks have completely changed the view. It would appear that showing the same image for more than five seconds is a henious crime these days!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hx1yamaha wrote: »
    I am 78 and I like to keep abreast of the latest technology even though I am getting rather deaf.
    If you have a fairly modern television set whatever the screen size it has a built-in SD to HD upscaling conversion so most of the time you don't see much difference between the two.

Upscaling doesn't make SD in to HD, all it does it make it fill the screen - it's still just an SD image.

Have you ever tried actually trying to do a comparison between say BBC1 and its high definition version?
    It's actually impossible because by the time the TV set has hesitated and changed channels the idiots on the mixer desks have completely changed the view. It would appear that showing the same image for more than five seconds is a henious crime these days!

It's not impossible with two identical sets side by side :D which I have done many, many times. But even on the same set, with a decent set and viewing from the correct distance, it's blindingly obvious if it's HD or not.

If you can't tell much difference, it's very likely because you're too far from the TV - how far do you view from?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    If you can get the chance, check out the HD version of Robin Hood on Sky Classics HD. OK, it's not widescreen. It was released in 1937, but looks like it was filmed last week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stereofam wrote: »
    If you can get the chance, check out the HD version of Robin Hood on Sky Classics HD. OK, it's not widescreen. It was released in 1937, but looks like it was filmed last week.

That's because most film is of a higher resolution than 1080p HD TV offers and has been for many many decades.

It'll look even better at the cinema. ;)
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy Blu-rays if I'm bothered about a film.

So why are you wasting your money on Sky Movies?
  • Options
    ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    How exactly have you paid for Sky 1 HD and the other subscription HD channels?

In case you hadn't noticed they are separated on the EPG. That means they are different channels.

In case you hadn't noticed the HD channels show exactly the same content as the SD channels, so if you subscribe you are paying twice to see the same program in HD.
  • Options
    HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clatter wrote: »
    In case you hadn't noticed the HD channels show exactly the same content as the SD channels,

But it's not "exactly the same" though - it's HD (rather than SD).
    so if you subscribe you are paying twice to see the same program in HD.

Er, paying more to see the same programme in HD.

That's the deal. I'm OK with it ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upscaling doesn't make SD in to HD, all it does it make it fill the screen - it's still just an SD image.

But a better quality SD picture due to the higher but rates,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In case you hadn't noticed the HD channels show exactly the same content as the SD channels, so if you subscribe you are paying twice to see the same program in HD.
    No, hadn't noticed because I generally only watch the HD channel. So I can't be paying twice, just paying extra to get a better service.

Using your analogy is like saying people that pay extra to travel first class on trains & planes are paying twice for the same journey.
  • Options
    pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stereofam wrote: »
    I don't think that it is an age thing when it comes to watching in HD. My parents are in their early 60's and they watch all the HD channels, and can see a difference between SD and HD. The only reason I can suggest is that people tune in to channels 101, 103 etc is because of the habit of doing so for so many years. My in-laws do not have Sky HD but have cable (not HD), and they never have their TV set to show in widescreen, so all the programs they watch are not in the correct ratio. My boyfriend and I (I am female) always advise them how to watch properly, but when we visit again, their tv is set to 4:3. Just can't understand some people.
    We've got a Virgin Media V+ HD subscription, but my mum always insists that everything is watched in SD. On my V+ HD upstairs, I'll happily watch and record anything in HD when its available in HD. My Dad refuses to watch the majority of things in HD because "they are too quiet". In fact, when my mum got a new Samsung 42inch plasma back in April, she had the box connected via HD, but had the display settings set to "RGB". When I set it "HDMI 1080 wide", a day later, it would be set back to "RGB" one again. I have since set it back to "HDMI 1080 wide", and my mum has kept it at that.

However, over christmas, any christmas movies that have been shown on Channel 4, if they were available in HD, he would always watch them in HD.
  • Options
    jacko 2jacko 2 Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Not bothered be it SD or HD hell i go back to black and white 405 line.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But a better quality SD picture due to the higher but rates,

Perhaps you should read all the posts?, it referred to the upscaler inside the TV - so no higher data rates.

I fully agree that watching SD programmes on the HD channels is well worth it, due to the higher data rates (more so than the upscaling at source).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    So why are you wasting your money on Sky Movies?

.....because the Blu-ray library is still quite small?

(IIRC they have around 1500 or so out nowm this compares with DVDs ovwer 100,000)
  • Options
    ClatterClatter Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    But it's not "exactly the same" though - it's HD (rather than SD).

Er, paying more to see the same programme in HD.

That's the deal. I'm OK with it ;)

As I said, the content is exactly the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said, the content is exactly the same.
    So? You're entitled to your opinion and I hope you enjoy the cash you've saved. I'll just enjoy the better viewing experience.
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the average UK punter isn't overly discerning about picture or sound quality, which is why we had fuzzy VHS for a further 2 years after the US had DVD's.

DVD was available in the UK not that long after it launched in the US but the takeup was slow so it was relaunched .

I had a dvd player in early 1998.
    The last UK VHS to be classified was 2008.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    That's a highly misleading comment, I'm surprised at you. As you well know, most upscaled material that is broadcast on an HD channel is as near as makes no difference DVD quality. DVD quality video is far better than the best SD channels in the UK, and is an order of magnitude better than the poorer SD channels. Resolution isn't the be all and end all of picture quality, or having a good viewing experience; far from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    That's a highly misleading comment, I'm surprised at you. As you well know, most upscaled material that is broadcast on an HD channel is as near as makes no difference DVD quality. DVD quality video is far better than the best SD channels in the UK, and is an order of magnitude better than the poorer SD channels. Resolution isn't the be all and end all of picture quality, or having a good viewing experience; far from it.

It's an entirely accurate statement - DVD is just SD as well - it bears no resemblance to HD.

Resolution isn't the 'be all and end all', but it's what HD is - and DVD (and all SD) does'nt have it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    That's because most film is of a higher resolution than 1080p HD TV offers and has been for many many decades.

It'll look even better at the cinema. ;)

I know that it's filmed in a higher resolution. I was mentioning it to compare it to the SD broadcast. People who can't see the difference between SD and HD should give this movie a look.