By Any Means

Comments

• theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not what I was expecting but I enjoyed it.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »

Otherwise clearly trying to hard to be too cool and hip - actually its an old persons idea of a snappy "knowing" action series.

Well, not this old person. Generalisation or what?

Andy2 wrote: »
    We enjoyed this. It was completely ludicrous but quite satisfying. Very much like a tweaked version of Hustle, I thought.

Hustle without the charm, charisma and wit of the characters and script.

Strange that I thought it so dull when many of the actors are usually good. Even Keith Allen was dull.

And Hustle was about criminals who conned other criminals. A bit dodgy to portray the police doing it, surely?

No, ends do not justify means.
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    VicsMum wrote: »
    It was written by the same people, produced by the same company, filmed on the same places (Birmingham)...

And it shows...........
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Wow really? I've always found her hard to watch.

she's ok
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I don't think it'll dent DA's viewing figures on the other side.

BAM was awful.:eek:
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    It's basically Hustle Reloaded, given Tony Jordan is the creator of both series. That suits me fine, really, since I miss Hustle :D

Yes, I'd looked it up and guessed what it would be like, so I wasn't too disappointed. Nowhere near as good as "Hustle" (which was one of my favourite series) but I still quite enjoyed it.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that really Keith Allen? :eek: I thought it looked like him for a moment, but then decided it couldn't possibly be him.

It was nice to see the lead singer from The Silicone Valets in a different role.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was daft but enjoyable. A bit of Hustle crossed with Spooks. By the way if you have two lead actors with Northern accents, why have one of them try and do a dodgy London accent?
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely thought there was a modern day Bugs feel about it with some of the tricks of Hustle but without the charm of either. I wish Warren Brown would do something not involving Police soon.

I've only ever liked Gina McKee in Hebburn. I don't like her when she plays cold and aloof like this.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have named this Hollyoaks: Let's Play Spy.

Good looking heroes versus bad looking villains. Terrible script. Trying far too hard to be funny. How this got a primetime slot I'll never know.
  • ktboilsktboils Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    For me I thought it was like Spooks crossed with Hustle crossed with Cbeebies.

Will give it another chance next week to see if it improves.
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Laughable time line for the final act, simply would have been impossible to achieve. No matter how quickly your Transit van can go.

Otherwise clearly trying to hard to be too cool and hip - actually its an old persons idea of a snappy "knowing" action series.

This "old" person didn't think much of it either. Keith Allen's character just wasn't cold enough for me and I found his attempt at trying to look like he was holding in his temper wasn't very good at all - looked more like he had a bad case of indigestion. I didn't find Gina McKee very convincing either, but that may be because I've never seen her play that type of character before - she seems too homely for me.

It may get better and the trailer for next week looked livelier but not sure if I'll watch again - probably will as there's not much else on at that time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it - not seen any of the other programmes mentioned on here that it's supposedly similar to like Spooks or Hustle, so it was completely new to me.

I liked the fact that at the end they had little bits which showed you how things had happened (if that makes sense) as I am one of those people who usually have questions and think "how did they do that...?"

The only surprise I had was that it is different stories each week - for some reason I had thought the whole series would be about trying to get the Keith Allen character to trial.

I will definitely watch it again.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not nearly dark enough for my liking.
  • lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't get into this. Far too light and chummy.

That cheesey end scene finished it for me.

Disappointing as I usually like Tony Jordan's stuff.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktboils wrote: »
    For me I thought it was like Spooks crossed with Hustle crossed with Cbeebies.

Will give it another chance next week to see if it improves.

:):):)

I wasn't expecting it to be a one-off story or for it to turn out to be Hustle-lite. However, in the absence of the real thing this will have to do.

The only downside with this format is that you keep looking out during the programme for the twists, as nothing will be as it first appears.

In my view there are enough dark programmes around, so there is plenty of room in the viewing schedules for a lighter one.
  • CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Brummy I was looking forward to this programme.

With the exception of scenes outside the Law Courts and in and around St Philip's Churchyard we didn't get the camera lingering on many other buildings other than for a split second. I assume this was to give the impression it was being filmed in London.

I also thought the programme could have done with a bit less background music. It was overpowering at times. I will keep watching it though.
  • FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    It is odd to see all the exterior shots with actors in Birmingham with well known landmarks and familiar streets, interspersed with stock London footage to make it seem as if they are filming in the capital.

And why make John Henshaw try a very dodgy Glasgow accent?

Because he was taking the place of someone who was scottish.

I enjoyed this. Completely ridiculous and obviously designed to replace Hustle but fun easy viewing.

It seems that several people are criticising it for not being what they expected but all the pre publicity and trailers made it pretty clear that the tone was going to be similar to Hustle and not at all dark or gritty.
    If you were expecting Spooks or Luther then I'm sure it must have been disappointing but it was never going to be like either of those.
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peteblue wrote: »
    It reminds me of a US tv series called Leverage. Not a bad effort though.

Which seemed remarkably like Hustle.;)
  • ThetrevsterThetrevster Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched only because nothing better to do. Haven't seen any of the other progs mentioned on this thread (not usually my type of thing) but I enjoyed this one and look forward to rest.
    I didn't have a problem with the music either. I have an older telly with normal speakers though!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a female friend who is a cleaner in the Four Oaks area of Brum.

She saw some of the filming the one day, as she was cleaning in the next door house!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it ..and always thought that in the real world there should be a team of some sort that exists to do this type of work.
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'd looked it up and guessed what it would be like, so I wasn't too disappointed. Nowhere near as good as "Hustle" (which was one of my favourite series) but I still quite enjoyed it.

Hustle is one the best series ever! The first four series are absolutely flawless, everything in it is good: cast, plot, locations, guests, cinematography, the narrative was very unusual and different for a TV series at the time (with the flashbacks at the end and the freezing of scenes), the chemistry among the cast, breaking of the fourth wall, well...everything. Quality went a bit downhill after that but the last two series managed to get back some of the old charm.

In the absence of Hustle, I'll make do with this one. Warren Brown is also very easy on the eye which is a plus...;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I'm another one in the 'I enjoyed it' camp. I found it easy to watch, lighthearted and just good Sunday viewing. Yes it's quite fluffy, but is that really a bad thing?

Plus the chavvy lad really made me giggle :)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appalling. Gina McKee must`ve got the mother and father of all unexpected tax bills to persuade her to appear in this piss-weak The Fixer rip-off by way of Hustle (can you write anything else Jordan?!?!?!). I would`ve happily kicked to death Luther`s sidekick even on just the second time he smugly said "It`s a grey area". Just before they showed their base I said "I bet they have a lair" and sure enough they lived down to my expectations.

So bad it could`ve been a Kudos production. Still, it`s already on Sunday night so it`ll save the BBC the trouble of shunting it there when it dies a death over the next 6 weeks.

Keith Allen - FFS, retire.